English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 28 September 2016, 08:39   #41
Jope
-

Not necessarily. If you only use the RGB output and don't connect it to any broadcast video equipment, you will be hard pressed to notice the subtle difference in timing to a real NTSC machine.
Old 28 September 2016, 10:44   #42
Marchie

Fair enough, I guess the question I should have asked is: Will a Video Toaster Card notice the difference?

What speed oscilator(s) are in the PAL and NTSC machines?
Old 28 September 2016, 20:13   #43
Jope
-

A video toaster might have problems with the slightly skewed timing. I have no personal experience, though. Best try it and see.

NTSC: 28.63636MHz
PAL: 28.37516MHz
Old 18 November 2016, 01:24   #44
Marchie

Well, I've finally gotten to the bottom of my chip mem issue, now i just need to decide whether to bother de-soldering the NTSC/PAL jumper.

I've been told changing this jumper has the same effect as changing to PAL/NTSC in software (ie: holding both mouse buttons on boot), if so, I'll just switch in software when I need to.

Can anyone confirm this? Or are there circumstances where switching PAL/NTSC through software won't work? (I've heard of people saying they can't run NTSC games without switching the jumper?)
Old 18 November 2016, 01:48   #45
emufan

what was the problem with the chip mem, how could you fix it?
can you now run any Toaster Version or Lightwave?

#1) ah , sorry , missed the other thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchie View Post
FINALLY have this solved!

It was a bad memory chip - apparently if you get a memory failure in the first 512k you'll get a green screen on boot to indicate a memory problem, BUT... if the failure is in the second 512k (which mine was), then the machine just ignores that second 512k and carries on as normal.
good you could fix it

I've no clue about the diff between hardware/software ntsc switch.
lets see what the experts have to say
Old 18 November 2016, 12:40   #46
idrougge

In genlock applications, such as the Videotoaster, you might need to boot the machine in the correct video mode for all pieces to synchronise.
Old 12 December 2016, 00:28   #47
Marchie

Updates on the 'trickle' of progress:

Finally have my machine back with chip memory working.

Unfortunately if I run the software I now get an 'unable to genlock' error, then a guru shortly after that. (same thing happens whether I boot in PAL or NTSC mode)

BTW - I don't have a camera hooked up to it yet - I figured I wanted to see the software working before I bought a PAL/NTSC converter (all my gear is PAL). Maybe it doesn't work this way though?

Haven't had much time at it yet, but any suggestions for where to start are appreciated.

Last edited by Marchie; 13 December 2016 at 04:07.
Old 12 December 2016, 10:21   #48
idrougge

Wouldn't surprise me if that's all you get without any input signal.
Old 12 December 2016, 20:55   #49
emufan

on newtek forum is a list with possible solutions to: "Toaster Unable to Genlock" Error
Forum: Amiga Video Toaster/Flyer FAQ's
Old 28 March 2017, 18:29   #50
Silverstreak

Did you ever work out what was happening with your Toaster? I'm keen on taking a similar adventure.
Old 29 March 2017, 02:40   #51
Marchie

Hi Silverstreak,

Thanks for enquiring. I swapped the PAL crystal for an NTSC one last month (so went from 28.37516Mhz to 28.6363Mhz). In the few minutes I had to test it, it still didn't work, but my HDD died minutes after I had it booted up, so I haven't really tested properly yet.

Just got a SCSI SD adapter, so hopefully I'll get the system re-installed and running soon, but I'm at best mixed about my chances.

I have a camera and monitor hooked up through an NTSC converter, and I get a straight video feed through the output, but that's all. When I try to start the Flyer or switcher software I get garbled screens (on the main screen and output monitor) and the computer locks up and I have to cold-boot to stabilize the system.

The CD I have calls itself 'Flyer CD' and I don't have the full toaster flyer system, just the toaster 4000 card (jumpered correctly for an A2000 as far as I can tell), the installation asks if you're installing the flyer or just the toaster and I select the relevant options but I'm beginning to wonder if all my problems are related to me not installing it properly (or my toaster card is toast - pun intended).

I'm completely clueless as to how the toaster is supposed to work, so anyone who has experience setting these systems up feel free to chip in, still kind of struggling here! The manual kind of dips in and out of assuming you have the full flyer system, so it's kind of hard to know if I'm even on the right track.

Anyhow, let us know how you go Silverstreak.
Old 29 March 2017, 17:44   #52
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

If I remember correctly, it's best not to have a signal on any input on the Toaster when starting the software and then once it's initialized and running the Switcher, add your input signal. It will need to be live video or Time Base Corrected video. If you want to use more than one input, they have to be sync'd together.

Starting the Toaster software does make the screen go wonky as it's syncing itself to the Amiga, both the Amiga RGB out (probably the composite as well) and the Toaster's Program out will shimmer and roll and flash until the Switcher is loaded.
Old 30 March 2017, 00:33   #53
Marchie

Thanks SnkBitten, that's useful advice. I had assumed it wanted a live signal to sync to.
Old 30 March 2017, 04:31   #54
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Way back when I had my A2000 + Video Toaster I remember lots of "crap, forgot I had that plugged in", having launched the software and my Amiga locking up, then having to turn off the Amiga and unplug (or turn off) whatever video source I had on input 1 on the Toaster. When I went Toaster4000 + A4000D, it was just habit at the time.

Last year I picked up an A400D + Toaster and an A4000T + Toaster/Flyer and I was having trouble getting the A4000T to run the Switcher. I had a live camera plugged in (HDMI to BNC converter) and once I removed it, the Toaster Switcher launched and I was able to add my camera signal. I think it just needs to sync to the Amiga without an additional sync signal coming in (Toaster input 1) but I could be wrong. I just make it a habit to fire up the A4000T, launch the Toaster software and then add my video sources (all sync'd through multiple TBC's and a Blackburst Generator).
Old 30 March 2017, 08:42   #55
Marchie

I'm learning, this is all great info, the kind of hands-on knowledge you can't find online!

(plus I'm super jealous you have an A4000 Toaster + Flyer - we rarely see that kind of stuff in Oz!)
Old 31 March 2017, 23:00   #56
grelbfarlk

Usually for first time startup you want a live camera hooked up to input 1, then the calibration gets stored in the directory so the startup doesn't take so long next time.

Also make your Workbench is set to a 15khz screenmode, no Multisync or DBL*.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 31 March 2017 at 23:05.
Old 31 March 2017, 23:45   #57
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

If you are using an RTG screenmode you can leave it at whatever and the Switcher will come up in the appropriate NTSC mode (make sure you have the NTSC monitor file in your DEVS:Monitors/ drawer).

At least it does for me, I'm running a Cybergraphx 64/3D + Scandoubler (P96 software) and was worried I'd have to change to an NTSC mode but I just leave it and launch the software and it opens an NTSC screen.
Old 01 April 2017, 00:08   #58
grelbfarlk

I can never remember where to find this, need to print it out and put it with my VT manuals. The center frequency adjustment:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....ment-Procedure

You need a multimeter to do this properly but worked most of the time.
Old 11 April 2017, 14:39   #59
Marchie

Ok, officially fed-up now. Running NTSC crystal, at NTSC resolution I get a garbled screen, then "Toaster not responding" then my machine locks up. I f I start in PAL resolution I get unable to Genlock, then the machine locks up.

Should I try this under OS 3.9 instead of 3.1??

Failing this please add the following to the classifieds section: "FOR SALE: Crappy doorstop with VIDEO TOASTER 40000 written on the side. 5 cents ONO, pick-up only."

So much time wasted...
Old 11 April 2017, 15:03   #60
grelbfarlk

Marchie did you try the Center Frequency Adjustment that I linked?

Also I would say OS 3.1 is a simpler option. The Video Toaster installer puts something in classes or libs that breaks some applications on OS 3.9 (Reaction or Classact). It's easy enough to fix if you back up your sys: drive first. Just restore your pre-install libs: and I think classes directories after the VT install is done.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 11 April 2017 at 21:16.