Old 06 December 2007, 00:14   #41
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractallyte View Post
@Bloodwych
Wow, thanks! :-)

@Methanoid
SATA *might* work now when booting. Let me know if problems occur! Sorry I can't test any of this. One day there might be separate 'stable' and 'testing' versions... ;-)

Is there another new one on website as I didnt spot one and I downed the new one yesterday and posted about it?
Old 06 December 2007, 13:08   #42
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

tried Knoppix LiveCD and it auto detects all my hardware (Nvidia VGA etc, SATA HDD etc) and works 100% from liveCD, able to read/write to SATA HD. If X-Amiga could do that then I'd be a happy bunny!
Old 06 December 2007, 14:21   #43
Fractallyte

Very cool. I'm working on a Knoppix project at the moment, so I'll investigate how it manages SATA...
Old 06 December 2007, 17:34   #44
OddbOd

Hi Amir, nice work so far, I've been following X-Amiga on and off since the original post at Amiga.org, the installer is looking fantastic (hooray for AmiWM). Unfortunately I have the same problem as Methanoid with regard to unrecognised SATA devices, is there any chance you could post your current kernel .config somewhere so that we can have a go at fixing it ourselves?
Old 06 December 2007, 21:06   #45
Fractallyte

You're quite right, I'd forgotten to include it in the download section. You'll find kernel configs for both the CD and X-Amiga in the 'misc' directory on the 'Downloads' page (and now also links in the 'Technical notes' page).

It's a generic kernel - lots of modules!

The SATA stuff is in 'Device Drivers ---> Serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental) drivers'...
Old 07 December 2007, 08:36   #46
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Had a look in the misc dir - starts looking too techie for me. I'll wait until there is an auto-detecting one that recognises my SATA etc. But I was very impressed with Knoppix. The only reason most people use WinBlows is that its preinstalled or they use it at work or school or whatever. Linux is getting very good in recent years.
Old 07 December 2007, 19:50   #47
Beren Camlost

Hello everyone

First of all a big thanks to Amir for he's work with Xamiga. It looks awesome! Only drawback I can possibly see here is the rate at which E-UAE is developed at (or lack thereof). Therefore would it be nice to see Xamiga running on newer hardware, such as mine or Methanoid's. Since the current Xamiga kernel runs on both Amir's hardware and Methanoid's Amithlon PC, I'll leave this kernel alone for now. Booting this kernel on my system results in a kernel panic. I'm sure Methanoid will notice the same thing if he boots without the splash screen

Now, for the possible workaround and my results so far:

Since Gentto was used to compiled the kernel, I reckon the kernel is specifically compiled for the hardware Amir is using. So, I simply copied the kernel from my Kubuntu 7.04 i386 installation, updated my grub config to reflect the changes and rebooted. This let me boot to terminal. However, Xamiga seems to be unable to mount itself as a read-write filesystem, which in turn messes up quite a lot of the startup scripts as filesystem is mounted as read-only, despite read-write being expicitly stated in fstab and mtab. Thinking it was perhaps an issue with the ext2 filesystem, I reformatted it to ext3 and tried again, with same result.
So until I figure out why it refuse to mount as read-write I'm stuck.

An alternative way could be to compile a new generic Gentoo kernel using newer hardware, in the hopes that it would support a larger variety of hardware (or figure out which modules to activate), or let the installation cd compile a kernel for you. The latter will ofcourse make the install iso a lot bigger, but should result in about the same size installation as the installer currently makes.

Old 07 December 2007, 20:17   #48
OddbOd

Well I'll be damned if I can see anything wrong with the ATA options, they look good to my admittedly ignorant eyes. The problem appears to be caused by CONFIG_IDE_GENERIC=y, setting it to NO and recompiling makes the problem disappear. From what I have read setting it to YES causes a conflict with the libata driver and prevents many modern IDE controllers from detecting all their disks.

It works for me

@Beren Camlost: I'm afraid your main assumption is incorrect. Fractallyte's previous post says quite clearly "It's a generic kernel" and having spent a few hours staring at the configuration file I can assure you he is not joking.

Edit: I had previously assumed that the installed X-Amiga system booted with an initramfs and loaded the modules from there just like the installer CD does. This assumption was wrong, after rebooting the kernel fails when attempting to mount / because it doesn't have the correct SATA driver loaded. To make it work correctly I had to compile the SATA drivers into the kernel itself, then it works fine.

Last edited by OddbOd; 13 December 2007 at 10:03.
Old 07 December 2007, 21:18   #49
Beren Camlost

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddbOd View Post
@Beren Camlost: I'm afraid your main assumption is incorrect. Fractallyte's previous post says quite clearly "It's a generic kernel" and having spent a few hours staring at the configuration file I can assure you he is not joking.
I stand corrected, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddbOd View Post
The problem appears to be caused by CONFIG_IDE_GENERIC=y, setting it to NO and recompiling makes the problem disappear. From what I have read setting it to YES causes a conflict with the libata driver and prevents many modern IDE controllers from detecting all their disks.
I'm still a little confused. And before I go on it's probably worth to mention that I used the full installation image, not the install CD. I formatted a partition into ext2, unpacked the image, modified fstab and mtab (and menu.lst of my Grub) and then booted, resulting in a kernel panic.

Thinking it was the kernel not being happy with my system, I simply copied all files from the /boot directory of my Kubuntu install (minus the grub directory). With this kernel I boot fine but Xamiga only mount as a read-only filesystem, barring me from doing most operations obviously, and thus is the system not really useable. Also worth to note is that partitioning and unpacking the files, along with modifying them was done as root from another Linux install. This I believe should not affect the write permissions of the filesystem however. I think there may be more misc files I would need to copy over alongside the kernel but I don't really know which ones, nor where to start looking for them

I'll play around some more, and if everything else fails I suppose it's time I start to compile my own kernel

Old 12 December 2007, 05:13   #50
realstar@shaw.c
realstar

SATA support

Any progress made with SATA support? I tried to install on my intel Mac Mini and it doesn't detect any drives...
Old 12 December 2007, 12:11   #51
Anubis
Retro Gamer

It can't be installed on VirtualPC?!
Old 12 December 2007, 13:24   #52
P-J

What a pointless project. E-UAE has run on Linux for absolutely ages and I bet the 'speed' difference between stripped down Linux distro and (stripped down) Windows is minimal at best.

But hey, even the emperor got excited about his new clothes.
Old 12 December 2007, 13:50   #53
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
What a pointless project. E-UAE has run on Linux for absolutely ages and I bet the 'speed' difference between stripped down Linux distro and (stripped down) Windows is minimal at best.

But hey, even the emperor got excited about his new clothes.
It's not all about any speed difference, which with today's hardware is not that much of an issue.

It's about booting directly into a full screen Classic Amiga environment in the fastest time possible, thus turning an old PC box into the closest it can be to a classic Amiga. Also, when it boots Linux or uses the command prompt, it has a full Amiga theme that looks and feels really good.

You may think that's pointless, fair enough, but many think it's rather cool including me.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 12 December 2007 at 13:57.
Old 12 December 2007, 16:14   #54
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Sorry to get on your back about this P-J, but despite being a commited Linux-hater I'm with Bloodwych on this one.

(that's not to say I'm not experimenting with nLite & XP to achieve much the same effect - it won't be as 'good', though, or distributable)
Old 12 December 2007, 18:19   #55
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Sorry to get on your back about this P-J, but despite being a commited Linux-hater I'm with Bloodwych on this one.

(that's not to say I'm not experimenting with nLite & XP to achieve much the same effect - it won't be as 'good', though, or distributable)
Hehe, no problem. I'm just expressing my thoughts in my usual aggressive manner. More power to ya!
Old 12 December 2007, 18:23   #56
Bloodwych

Nothing wrong with a bit of straight talkin'
Old 14 December 2007, 09:18   #57
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by realstar@shaw.c View Post
Any progress made with SATA support? I tried to install on my intel Mac Mini and it doesn't detect any drives...
getting back to the topic.. for those of us interested in it...
Old 16 December 2007, 11:30   #58
Fractallyte

SATA: still working on it. Sorry for such slow progress, it's just too hectic at work before Christmas...
Old 17 December 2007, 13:21   #59
PRPR

Amir:
Tried to download, no can with a pc. Back to AmigaOne

Old 23 December 2007, 21:41   #60
dambuster
Zone Friend

So Santa's bringing one of those nice Asus Eee PC's, 900MHz Celeron, 512MB ram, 4GB SSD, 800x480 pixel 7" screen, cant wait to try it.