Martin Shaw

Thumbs up

http://www.dual-ring.net/archos-game...ails-revealed/

http://droidpuae.blogspot.com/

Old 22 November 2012, 14:07   #42
Mr B

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
hahahahaha, 95% what a load of bullcrap, I love how you always come back to this thread and talk absolute crap.
Funny, crap? Go back and look at the threads about "what will you use your Panda for" or " what are you using your panda for", and pretty much everyone admits to running emulators. Very few has it dedicated to nothing but work, and no emulation, where as the opposite is rather common.

Quote:
PSP has a fullspeed AGA amiga emulator with HDF support now does it?
It also has no keyboard, or touchscreen. Whats your point, really?
Old 22 November 2012, 14:13   #43
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Funny, crap? Go back and look at the threads about "what will you use your Panda for" or " what are you using your panda for", and pretty much everyone admits to running emulators. Very few has it dedicated to nothing but work, and no emulation, where as the opposite is rather common.
you plucked stats out of your arse, "95% of the people buying one is using it as an emulator platform" I call bullcrap. Not everyone who ownes one posts on the forums or participates in polls, join an irc channel and see how much discussion is about emulation amongst the hundreds of people in there.

Quote:
It also has no keyboard, or touchscreen. Whats your point, really?
Quote:
And as such pretty much the old PSP is equal.
Losing track of your crap talking?
Old 22 November 2012, 19:32   #44
Photon

Quote:
PSP has a fullspeed AGA amiga emulator with HDF support now does it?
This, and the neat form factor, screen tweaks, good built-in controls etc, are the important points in this niche. It attracted the devs, which meant it got good emulators. If a platform isn't attracting the devs who make good software that is 'your kind of killer apps' (as opposed to the ultimate Twitter or Stocks app), it doesn't matter if it has 100 GHz.

The Archos gamepad looks a bit better than the clip-on thingy for Iphone (where you also map buttons to on-screen ones in an existing emulator), but will the kinds of devs we want to do emulation flock to it? Certainly not to Iphone, since emulation requires users to jailbreak it. Android has freer distribution options than the strictly controlled sales channel Iphone has, but whether the emulator versions actually *make it* to the Archos depends on how good the documentation and support is for it.

A way of making another batch of Pandoras happen could be to make it a Kickstarter project.
Old 22 November 2012, 20:21   #45
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
This, and the neat form factor, screen tweaks, good built-in controls etc, are the important points in this niche. It attracted the devs, which meant it got good emulators. If a platform isn't attracting the devs who make good software that is 'your kind of killer apps' (as opposed to the ultimate Twitter or Stocks app), it doesn't matter if it has 100 GHz.

The Archos gamepad looks a bit better than the clip-on thingy for Iphone (where you also map buttons to on-screen ones in an existing emulator), but will the kinds of devs we want to do emulation flock to it? Certainly not to Iphone, since emulation requires users to jailbreak it. Android has freer distribution options than the strictly controlled sales channel Iphone has, but whether the emulator versions actually *make it* to the Archos depends on how good the documentation and support is for it.

A way of making another batch of Pandoras happen could be to make it a Kickstarter project.
Having used Android myself for a number of years now; you will find most of the common emulators available there with good performance and decent compatibility on Android 2.2 and upward.

Regarding Pandora and Kickstarter, I'm not so sure that would work out well. It seems that team behind Pandora has burned a lot of good will and given itself a less than stellar reputation from people I've spoken to that own one.

I'm not sure we will see any quad core ARM CPU/GPU Pandora models anytime soon which is quickly becoming the norm for other mobile devices running Android. I think the ship has left the dock for OpenPandora like it did with Game Park.
Old 23 November 2012, 00:37   #46
Mr B

Quote:
you plucked stats out of your arse, "95% of the people buying one is using it as an emulator platform" I call bullcrap. Not everyone who ownes one posts on the forums or participates in polls, join an irc channel and see how much discussion is about emulation amongst the hundreds of people in there.
No, i used 95% instead of "Most, a fuckload, almost everybody" and so on. EVERYONE knows 95% is not the specific value, the point is that the majority, an overwhelming majority, bought this, over a small laptop, for the built in game controls. I cant believe we are even going in this direction.

Quote:
Losing track of your crap talking?
No, i'm fairly certain i got my "crap" right. Exactly how many buyers do you think had the Amiga as a deal breaker in buying or not, when selecting their emulation device? I'm fairly certain they are covered in the "less then the overwhelming majority" refereed to as 5%. Also, if you read closely, i say "pretty much" meaning there is space for improvement, which, i pointed out, has been delivered, at a lower price, with better hardware, in the Vita. The downside... The Vita is to new, a closed device, and the software for it simply isn't there yet. So, yeah, i'd go with one of those tiny laptops instead.

Quote:
It happens every time, thread gets bumped with some positive news, along come people who dont want one, never intend to get one, posting negative stuff and alternatives that are nothing like it.
Funny, as i intended to get one, up to the point where they went with a clamshell design. But then i opted out to early, and get disqualified from having an opinion due to that?
Old 23 November 2012, 09:50   #47
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
The chinese tablets can show how you can mass produce an ARM system with a Dual-Core 1,2GHz (something WAY more powerful than a Pandora) with controls and sell it cheap as peanuts.

The Pandora guys are making a HUGE profit on every piece they get out. Too bad they should just get real and start selling them at a REAL price (£150-200 should be good) if they want to sell them.

Nowadays you can just get a JXD (yes, I know, they have crappy support. I have one JXD S7100B myself, so I know what I'm talking about), you get touch screen, DPAD, analogs and ANDROID. The keyboard? Just buy a cheap tablet keyboard and you're set!

This just shows you have no idea!
Old 23 November 2012, 10:40   #48
fatboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainy View Post
It expensive because it's a home-brew niche product (But has the potential to be mainstream IMHO)

The 'interest' in the Pandora idea surely warrants a commercial developer.

The OS is open source, the Chinese LOVE to copy things (the form factor is pretty much a DS anyway)....so someone must have a contact in Asia?......let them put together a Pandora-A-Like device for the masses!

The concept is great, the business model isn't

Is a £150 Pandora'ish device unreasonable???

Last edited by fatboy; 23 November 2012 at 10:49.
Old 23 November 2012, 18:59   #49
pubzombie

I agree.
The devs of the Pandora have a nice product and have had an awful run of bad luck.
They have also not responded to their bad luck in the most business savvy ways and have irked folks.
I was losing my temper with them at times but saw it through because the product is sound and it was an interesting thing to be apart of.
Something like this is so niche it can't really be considered outdated tech. Due to its design it actually out performs any other device I own at what I need it to do - mobile emulation of my complete back catalogue of games.
Peace
Old 23 November 2012, 21:59   #50
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Having used Android myself for a number of years now; you will find most of the common emulators available there with good performance and decent compatibility on Android 2.2 and upward.
You know it doesn't work like that. Someone is going to have to do the work to get the emus up to spec. Who will it be?

If I understand you, you reason something like: everyone has some kind of Android device. Those emulators are all right for making half of the games work if you fiddle a little, with frameskip 3, on various size screens where game graphics are covered with hard-to-hit virtual touch buttons. It crashes sometimes, but what the hey.

Well, that's good for someone who doesn't really care if their favorite games are playable on the go. But I can tell you buying the Archos (above) would be a big decision without knowing when those emulators become good. At least for those with more than casual interest in emulation.

Quote:
Regarding Pandora and Kickstarter, I'm not so sure that would work out well. It seems that team behind Pandora has burned a lot of good will and given itself a less than stellar reputation from people I've spoken to that own one.
Do you know how Kickstarter works, though?

It's just a suggestion, but I think it's a better option than the usual pre-order (for both parties) and I think this type of project would go through their screening procedure in a flash.

Last edited by prowler; 25 November 2012 at 22:48.
Old 23 November 2012, 23:31   #51
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainy View Post
Why? Like fatboy said, you just contact a chinese company like JXD, ask them to mass market your design, and blam, you get £200 Pandora for everyone with a 1,2GHz Dual-Core in it, with a Mali400MP to go with it.

Look at Yinlips too, it's another Chinese company specialized in gaming consoles.

The hardware they make isn't that bad, it's the software part that is lacking. The Pandora devs would take care of that and you'd have a competitively priced awesome gaming platform which could rival the Nintendo 3DS and the PSVita even in a mainstream market (dem kids love the Android games). It could be marketed as a revolutionary open-source console which could appeal non-retrogamers too.
Old 24 November 2012, 14:32   #52
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
You know it doesn't work like that. Someone is going to have to do the work to get the emus up to spec. Who will it be?

If I understand you, you reason something like: everyone has some kind of Android device. Those emulators are all right for making half of the games work if you fiddle a little, with frameskip 3, on various size screens where game graphics are covered with hard-to-hit virtual touch buttons. It crashes sometimes, but what the hey.

Well, that's good for someone who doesn't really care if their favorite games are playable on the go. But I can tell you buying the Archos (above) would be a big decision without knowing when those emulators become good. At least for those with more than casual interest in emulation.

Do you know how Kickstarter works, though?

It's just a suggestion, but I think it's a better option than the usual pre-order (for both parties) and I think this type of project would go through their screening procedure in a flash.
The emulators I've tried on Android are better than what is available on the PSP and possibly Pandora just through virtue of having more raw speed available.

There are plenty of physical control options available.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...rce-controller

Frameskip? I'm not sure when you last used an Android device but most are powerful enough to drive emulators (even unoptimised) to get full speed.

When the Dreamcast is being emulated on Android faster than the actual hardware I think the frameskip point is gone.

[ Show youtube player ]

Kickstarter has tightened the rules on pitching tech products. They'd need a new working prototype to make a pitch video (Which has to be shown).

Not an existing product that was/is already on sale.

Last edited by prowler; 25 November 2012 at 22:48.
Old 24 November 2012, 15:08   #53
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
When the Dreamcast is being emulated on Android faster than the actual hardware I think the frameskip point is gone.

[ Show youtube player ]
Hmmm, the sound is not emulated (I suppose it is the only reason why there is some rock music played during the video).
The emulator is not released according to some comments.
Old 24 November 2012, 16:36   #54
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
Hmmm, the sound is not emulated (I suppose it is the only reason why there is some rock music played during the video).
The emulator is not released according to some comments.
It still doesn't detract from the technical achievement of what is possible on the Android platform with good a ARM processor.

Anyway the point was that the quality of emulators on Android are not what they used to be. Yes there are bad ones but there are a lot of very good ones, but with all emulation nothing is perfect.

Just for the record I've always been very skeptical of emulators on portable devices and their lack of quality including their eventual abandonment.
Old 18 November 2013, 01:32   #55
s2325
Zone Friend

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/...uck-off-email/
Old 18 November 2013, 10:07   #56
Dunny

Well, a year on from my last contribution to this thread and there's still nothing to match the Pandora.

I got myself a shiny new Nexus 7 last month and tried the port of UAE4All on it - no offense to the guy who ported it, but it's awful on a touchscreen. Modifying the UI to utilise touch better might help, but even then there's the problem of having to cover the screen with your thumbs when controlling a game... Not good.

The Pandora is still king of the emulators, I'm afraid. It's also down in price nowadays, but still expensive - but people are still buying them so it must be worth it

The hardware really is outdated now but even so, the desktop experience is still as smooth as it ever was and the emulators still run well - and DS emulation is in now, and is wonderful also.

And the new updates to UAE4All are just sublime.

Still not seeing a need for a Pandora2, with updated hardware - aside from DC emulation (which I'm not interested in) there's nothing it can't do already.

D.
Old 25 November 2013, 16:12   #57
Amigajay

Playing uae4all2 with my nvidia shield, certainly the best portable Amiga experience I've had so far, sure touchscreen control is not perfect, but i prefer using the analogue sticks for mouse control anyway, of course missing real keyboard, but most of the games i use only need the occasional key press using the virtual kb. Right back to Lemmings!
Old 25 November 2013, 20:41   #58
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Playing uae4all2 with my nvidia shield, certainly the best portable Amiga experience I've had so far, sure touchscreen control is not perfect, but i prefer using the analogue sticks for mouse control anyway, of course missing real keyboard, but most of the games i use only need the occasional key press using the virtual kb. Right back to Lemmings!
I agree, uae4all2 is nice on Tegra hardware, I have a Nexus7 Tegra3, which runs it great.
Old 25 November 2013, 21:13   #59
Dunny

I installed that UAE4ALL on my 2013 Nexus 7.

I've since removed it and gone back to Amiga gaming on my Pandora.

D.
Old 25 November 2013, 22:06   #60
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
I installed that UAE4ALL on my 2013 Nexus 7.

I've since removed it and gone back to Amiga gaming on my Pandora.

D.
Well done Dunny as if you thought it would be better