English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 16 July 2008, 17:38   #41
reyearthnexus

Hi to everyone!

@ Titler: after 12 years I was skymming around the sun fantastic
@ Harrison: I try to play Frontier but just for a few times and I think I ve not yet understand the right way to play it...mm..I dont know, maybe I entered not yet in "game-mind"..really strange to play, in large sense. For now the best (unofficial?) part II of the Elite, I think, is Oolite...really close to the first project and really nice graphic. Of course if I had discover Frontier 15 years ago, maybe now I would have a very different opionion about it...
Thanks for Archi's infos. Now I want try to resolve problems with WB, want to play to AmiGer version absolutely
@ Galahad: as you I never reached ELITE status....I play a loooong time in Amiga500+ but I never...just deadly. I thought it was a bug of my personal floppy...oh how much ships I destroyed
@ Angus & others: Thargoids suck! I used that tactic too, but anyway, with Mil laser too, when you falled in dead zone it was the end...
Old 16 July 2008, 19:53   #42
Titler
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
It was down to how many kills you made - but unlike the BBC version there was a point system - so a Thargoid would be worth more than an Asp, which would be worth more than an asteroid. You got a "Right on, Commander!" message every 256 points and I think you acheived Deadly status at 3000 points, and Elite at 6000 points. That's to the best of my memory, anyway.
Alas, no... if that were the case you'd only need about an hour to get to Elite with the way the Amiga version scored for ships. Luckily, I saved the game when near Elite without realizing it way back when, and quickly refiring the game up again today, and blasting a few ships, you become Elite somewhere near 1,638,435 points. And the "Right On Commander" is for every 256 ships, not points. You also get one when you rank up.
Old 16 July 2008, 20:01   #43
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I killed loads of ships. Used to kill Thargoids in Witchspace the same as others, target with Military lasers when they were really far away, meant lasers would be cool enough to keep shooting at other Thargoids.

I had it on the BBC Model B as well, but for some reason Elite wouldn't save to my tape drive, so it was marathon sessions on it, until my mum decided she wanted the electric socket to do some hoovering!!! Grrrrrrr!
Old 16 July 2008, 20:39   #44
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyearthnexus View Post
BUT...i discovered that there was before a better version of that game (maybe the BEST ever) for Archimedes (Acorn..or something like that...)
Elite was originally made for Acorn BBC, then ported to misc. platforms. I like the Amiga version best, but apart from C64 and Archimedes I've only played the others in emulators.

Archimedes version is mouse flight controls only, at least I couldn't figure out the keys when I quicktested it. And the mouse controls were way too sensitive, didn't figure out if there was a way to lower it then, either.

So I agree with you, Amiga version is the best Elite really is a perfect base game for modding/missions...

Last edited by Photon; 16 July 2008 at 21:11.
Old 17 July 2008, 10:24   #45
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titler View Post
Alas, no... if that were the case you'd only need about an hour to get to Elite with the way the Amiga version scored for ships. Luckily, I saved the game when near Elite without realizing it way back when, and quickly refiring the game up again today, and blasting a few ships, you become Elite somewhere near 1,638,435 points. And the "Right On Commander" is for every 256 ships, not points. You also get one when you rank up.
I think there's more to it than that. Mr Micro introduced a viewable score system in the Amiga (and ST?) version, but it was just something to "amuse" the player .

I believe what I said regarding the seperate "kill point" system which the player does not have direct sight of, but which actually governs your status, is correct though. This system was basically in all versions of Elite, but as I said it was enhanced somewhat after the BBC version - I think to stop people sitting outside space stations and popping off at the emerging Vipers.

It can be kind of tested by starting a new game, and "killing" only asteroids and seeing how many are needed before achieving Mostly harmless status - the doing the same with Pythons or something.
Old 17 July 2008, 10:31   #46
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
So I agree with you, Amiga version is the best Elite really is a perfect base game for modding/missions...
I thought it was still; a good game on the Amiga, but where as the BBC and CBM 64 versions in particular had played to the strengths of the machines, and genuinely pushed the hardware as far as possible, the same could not be said of the Amiga version. It was essentially just a conversion, with filled vectors, (and the Wolf ship). At the time I expected a lot more from the mighty Amiga, and was saddened to see no real love lavished on the game.