Old 17 December 2007, 18:28   #41
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
It would be wrong of me not to mention

Captive

you can read more about it here... http://captive.wikispaces.com/

theres a good start for an absolute classic game that was one of the first few that was able to transcend the ST/Amiga and PC in 1990!!!
brown nose
Old 17 December 2007, 18:32   #42
Graham Humphrey

Yeah, what Cody said (though I stand by my other points too)

Still played it briefly and it wasn't bad, but nothing to convince me it was as good as some people say.
Old 17 December 2007, 21:56   #43
StrategyGamer
Total Chaos AGA is fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
There is nothing "evolutionary" in TC.
Really? Nothing? Nothing? Are you quite sure of that? You can't think of even just one small tiny thing?

I can think of several notable things.

Quote:
Looks like an enhanced Archon clone instead of a traditional fantasy strategy game.

I actually sat here in my recliner, LOLing at that statement for 15 consecutive minutes. That is just so funny on so many different levels.

Quote:
but it lacks decent controls/menues.
Which control does it lack?
Which menu does it lack?

You have suddenly reminded me one of the reasons I love Total Chaos so much: the controls are so simple and easy. Most wargames have complicated menus to navigate and controls to learn and are therefore unsuitable for parties. Total Chaos is the only wargame I have ever found that nongamers (girls) who come to my house can start playing with only a couple minutes of explanation.

Quote:
I'll stick to Death or Glory
Nobody ever asked you to stop playing that game, my friend.
Old 17 December 2007, 21:59   #44
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrategyGamer View Post
You have suddenly reminded me one of the reasons I love Total Chaos so much:
The money the author must send you for mentioning it in totally unrelated threads?
Old 17 December 2007, 22:05   #45
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
MERCENARY - all games in the series.

PAUL WOAKES IS A GAMING GENIUS! A tribute to him would be very fitting in your book
Old 17 December 2007, 22:08   #46
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

@StrategyGamer

Slowdown dude, nobody harms you.

Of course you can play this game, but it's far beyond beeing an Amiga highlight. It's freeware and shows it all the time.

It's from 2003 and very resource hungry, i would expect more from a "modern" Amiga game. Check Napalm or Foundation Gold, they looks and plays much better.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 17 December 2007 at 22:30.
Old 17 December 2007, 22:25   #47
StrategyGamer
Total Chaos AGA is fun!

I would honestly like to know what control/menu it lacks?
Old 17 December 2007, 22:37   #48
DamienD
Banned

Please, no more discussion about Total Chaos in this thread. It's not only about that game you know...

@Strategy Gamer and some other members; you've made your point that you believe it should be included in the book. Cool, let's leave it at that for now?

If you want to discuss pros / cons I'm more than happy to move all the related TC posts into a new thread for you to do so
Old 17 December 2007, 23:03   #49
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

@Andrew:

Use a "Year of the first release" search in HOL for some interesting games for your book. They released some nice games Amiga CD games from 1997-2004, maybe interesting enough for your book.

http://hol.abime.net/616

http://hol.abime.net/938
Old 18 December 2007, 06:26   #50
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Regarding the discussion about TotalChaos (this is not just for TC, hence why I mention it), it really depends on the criteria used for determining the 130 games, which I alluded to in my first post in this thread. I think a combination of all things, such as historically signficant from sales perspective, from first game to do X, from best on any platform (comparing same games), from best technical perspective, from innovative, from rare type of game. All these could be reasons a game could be included. Some games will or won't make it depending on what weight is given to what criteria.
Old 22 December 2007, 06:16   #51
andrew_rollings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgor View Post
Regarding the discussion about TotalChaos (this is not just for TC, hence why I mention it), it really depends on the criteria used for determining the 130 games, which I alluded to in my first post in this thread. I think a combination of all things, such as historically signficant from sales perspective, from first game to do X, from best on any platform (comparing same games), from best technical perspective, from innovative, from rare type of game. All these could be reasons a game could be included. Some games will or won't make it depending on what weight is given to what criteria.

Well, the main criteria (as I've alluded to previously) is whether I can find something interesting to say about the game...

Andrew
Old 22 December 2007, 21:06   #52
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_rollings View Post
Well, the main criteria (as I've alluded to previously) is whether I can find something interesting to say about the game...

Andrew
Captive has 65.535 levels that are generated by the mapgen and feel like they are hand made

Other facts ??
Old 22 December 2007, 22:34   #53
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I'm surprised no-one mentioned The Speris Legacy, how the fuck we got away with releasing that game without Nintendo breathing down our necks is beyond me.

Not the best game in the world, but the fact it got released is quite amazing!
Old 23 December 2007, 00:36   #54
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
Games that i remember from the daze are

stunt car racer
dynar blaster
the settlers
dune II
frontier (elite2)
speed ball 2
formula one gpix

I`m not a great game player but these are my favorits, not least as most are multi player, always better with a friend.

fond memories of playing settlers with my mate he had monitor conected to rgb and i had the compiset signal, he 1 end of room and me the other...
Old 05 March 2008, 23:30   #55
cus

Well i think these games should be included, these are some of the most famous amiga games, I have included the reasons:
(not necisarraly the best games but important ones)

Dune 2 - spawned a whole genre (command & conquer, red alert, warcraft). A brilliant and ealy real time strategy game.

Secret Of Monkey Island - Quite simply the best and one of the most fondly remembered adventure games of all time. You've just got to look at how many fan sites there are to realise how important fondly remembered this game was.

Rise of the Robots - hailed as the second coming, because of the amazing (for the time) graphics before release. A "3d" beat em up, that turned out to memorably one of the worst games of all time when released.

Great Giana Sisters - A platform game, which was a blatant rip of mario bros, was recalled not long after release, also available on 8 bits so you might have covered in your C64 book.

Worms
- Interesting because was origionally programmed in blitz basic as part of a game programming competion run by Amiga format, went on to be released on every format availalble and spawned loads of follow ups.

Prince of persia - Worth mentioning for the early use of rotoscoping, which made the animation seem ultra realistic for those days. Which leads me onto ...

Another World - Simply brilliant game, that seemed ultra cinematic. Owed a lot to prince of persia but surpassed it in every way. Remember everyones jaws dropping while watching the intro.

Alien Breed 3D - Seemed like a major breakthrough at the time, a doom a like running on the amiga. The 2d versions were far superior tho, so they might be worth mentioning.

Gimme a bit longer and i'll come up with some more, these aren't my fave or the best games, but they're ones with an interesting story. You can't really go wrong if you include anything by Team 17, Bitmap Bros, or Sensible software 9not endorsed by the royal British legion lol).

Old 12 March 2008, 05:24   #56
Eclipse
Turpentine

Quirky, errm... "A rockstar ate my hamster".
Old 12 March 2008, 05:53   #57
Kristian95
A4000T owner :)

DotC, Wings, ICftD should be mentioned too if you ask me
Old 12 March 2008, 14:44   #58
Zapp_Brannigan

Well, besides of the obvious (Speedball 2, Gods, Lemmings, It Came From the Desert, Wings etc.); Shufflepuck Cafe, North and South, Battle Chess, Grand Monster Slam, Oil Imperium and Chuck Rock 1 should be added too.
Old 21 June 2008, 10:10   #59
YoJoe!
Amiga Enthusiast

Slam Tilt because it is the best pinball game.

Total Chaos because it is the best strategy game and the most customisable game ever of all time. Very fun.

Superfrog and Turrican I and Turrican II as 3 of best platform games.

Hired Guns because it is the best 4-player-adapter game.

Wings because it is a good game and it was advertised the on TV more than any other amiga game.

Walker The first game to utilize simultaneous mouse+joystick control. Good game.

No Second Prize: The fastest and smoothest polygonal racer game with excellent mouse control.
Old 21 June 2008, 12:19   #60
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I've made a list of really good games some years ago for a friend. It's not complete, but I think these are the 'must have' games

Battle Chess 1-2
Brutal Sports Football
Chaos Engine 1-2
Chambers of Shaolin
Elvira 1-2
Fire & Ice (X-Mas Edition)
Great Giana Sisters
Gods
Heimdall 1-2
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Leander (Oh No, More) (X-Mas) (New Years) (Holiday) Lemmings
Lionheart