English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 11 May 2014, 21:26   #41
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafSch View Post
Everybody seems to be a expert for Natami and all related events. You were involved in everything related and what was happening behind the scene? What nick did you have? Cannot remember you. And you know Thomas Hirsch and what he thinks? And Thomas Hirsch had all the time of the world to continue with it on its own. It is now years ago. Where are the results of your hero?
I was just carrying on what everyone said. I was on the Natami forum as an anonymous lurker - it was a complete mess. You'd have people talking about unrealistic things all over the place, a lot of Staff Members (there were probably more staffers than active users on that forum)... It was confusing as hell. You just had the impression that all the good work was being done behind the scenes.

By they way, I didn't do any names, so don't feel offended. I wasn't pointing to anyone in particular.

Actually his decision to go private happened something like 1 year ago. Not years ago.
You can't just design a full-blown enhanced Amiga clone in 2-3 years, especially if you have a job and a family.
Old 11 May 2014, 23:45   #42
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
I was just carrying on what everyone said. I was on the Natami forum as an anonymous lurker - it was a complete mess. You'd have people talking about unrealistic things all over the place, a lot of Staff Members (there were probably more staffers than active users on that forum)... It was confusing as hell. You just had the impression that all the good work was being done behind the scenes.

By they way, I didn't do any names, so don't feel offended. I wasn't pointing to anyone in particular.

Actually his decision to go private happened something like 1 year ago. Not years ago.
You can't just design a full-blown enhanced Amiga clone in 2-3 years, especially if you have a job and a family.
just a small correction, not one years ago but almost two (18.May 2012). Yes it was difficult to understand what were ideas and what only talk. Thomas Hirsch could have corrected that by a simple blog or a letter or similar. But that would have been "pressure" already. The "talk" outside did not really stop Thomas Hirsch because he kept everything to himself. When I left I heard that I could have known more when I would have joined a dev group. I can understand that people were confused by the whole situation but that the project failed is not caused by the "team" but that the dev could obviously not finish it (and not finished it up to today). Such projects are too much for one developer, expecially if done in spare time.
Old 11 May 2014, 23:46   #43
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post

two years are already years, what do you think?
Old 11 May 2014, 23:48   #44
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

This thread is really running thin, so please just focus on the 'what next' bit and keep the past to the appropiate threads. Thank you.
Old 12 May 2014, 02:39   #45
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

It seems clear to me that too many people all doing different projects get nowhere.

There is a small pool of talent around here, its been said; as such it seems logical that people need to work in teams, towards the goal of a common chipset/new amiga.

Also this eternal B.S of making grand gestures and spouting silly hyperbole about super amigas, before even the most basic of work has been done is a big problem.

Tina resembled the natami in terms of hyperbole and it was clearly a dead duck.

I'm surprised that those with the talent, knowledge and who do such work for a living, cannot create a realistic roadmap and are somehow not aware just how much work it really entails.

I know nothing of such technical things but It really seems to be an organizational thing.
Old 12 May 2014, 07:21   #46
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
This thread is really running thin, so please just focus on the 'what next' bit and keep the past to the appropiate threads. Thank you.
Actually these opinions and views here are interesting to read. The "what next??" part was not meant as "what Amiga-project will rise next and save us all" but as "what next?? - all Amigas suddenly commit mass suicide and crumble to dust" kinda positive attitude. You could understand it as a rant-topic .

But I'm interested in future projects too, don't get me wrong. I just wrote this out of desperation and dissapointment but hey, I'm feeling better now .

I was an active lurker and occasional poster on the Natami forum and had high hopes for this thing to evolve. The remaining sparks are dimming.
Old 12 May 2014, 08:17   #47
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamiga2002 View Post
Actually these opinions and views here are interesting to read. The "what next??" part was not meant as "what Amiga-project will rise next and save us all" but as "what next?? - all Amigas suddenly commit mass suicide and crumble to dust" kinda positive attitude. You could understand it as a rant-topic .
I was referring to the 'discussion' about past Natami members. There is a perfectly fine thread for that topic here. As for the rest: Be my guest
Old 12 May 2014, 09:15   #48
NovaCoder

It's better to promise less and deliver more than to promise the world and deliver nothing.

(that's on old Chinese proverb)

(possibly)
Old 13 May 2014, 23:36   #49
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

Maybe in 10 years or so we will see a !cheap! FPGA board, that is running a MC68060@300Mhz+AGA.I am really eager to see that!Let's hope I'm right.
But for now we should be happy that our real(20y.o.) hardware still works.
I doubt that the PC I'm typing these lines on will still be in use in 20 years.

And to be honest if there would be some kind of UAE card for my pci port
that would bypass the PC-BIOS and go right into the kickstart to boot into Amiga OS,well I guess I would by it.
Something like Amithlon but as a Hardware solution.I mean CPU is emulating the 68k,sockets for a real kickstart on the pci-card and the customchips are emulated by an fpga.

But maybe it's just time to give AROS another try.
Old 14 May 2014, 00:23   #50
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sykes View Post
Maybe in 10 years or so we will see a !cheap! FPGA board, that is running a MC68060@300Mhz+AGA.I am really eager to see that!Let's hope I'm right.
But for now we should be happy that our real(20y.o.) hardware still works.
I doubt that the PC I'm typing these lines on will still be in use in 20 years.

And to be honest if there would be some kind of UAE card for my pci port
that would bypass the PC-BIOS and go right into the kickstart to boot into Amiga OS,well I guess I would by it.
Something like Amithlon but as a Hardware solution.I mean CPU is emulating the 68k,sockets for a real kickstart on the pci-card and the customchips are emulated by an fpga.

But maybe it's just time to give AROS another try.
It is of course not Amithlon but at least similar and supporting modern hardware: AMINUX. It is based on Knoppix but immediately starts FS-UAE with AROS Vision. Pascal has promised me to update it with the newest version in near future. Perhaps it might be a option to you.
Old 14 May 2014, 13:17   #51
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

I would prefer a native version of AROS instead of Knoppix to run FS-UAE.
I hope AROS gets to the point where Linux is in terms of HW-support.
Maybe I'll give it a try on the old one when I buy a new PC.
Untill than I stick to WinUAE and the good old 1200.
Old 21 May 2014, 04:03   #52
asymetrix

What next :

#1 Create a hardware section
#2 Create a template do describe how to submit a Hardware bounty, maybe even a video Tutorial on Youtube.
#3 Check requirements, eg GPL, time frame, cost to develop, difficulty, minimum progress report.
#4 User submit bounty system for Amiga Hardware, GPL/Mozilla Licence, Paypal donation system.
#5 setup source code root folder location.

#6 Take dontations
#7 Promote job request on Freelancer.com, FPGA hardware communities
#8 Receive feedback, modify initial bounty / details missing eg Cost of development.
#9 Interview developers on SKYPE
#10 Hire developer, check progress daily.

For example we could start off with the Opencores 68k cpu + OCS chipset or minimig and increase its speed and target cost of 150 USD to end user.

# Wishbone compatible open core
# GFX (68k RTG driver Radeon / Nvidia)
# 2D effects
# GPU simulated / accelerated OCS chipset
# merge Wishbone SATA controller into design

just a few ideas.

Last edited by asymetrix; 30 May 2014 at 06:24. Reason: cheanged driver to design. ty alexh.
Old 21 May 2014, 09:19   #53
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by asymetrix View Post
# Wishbone compatible drivers, # Wishbone compatible SATA driver
Wishbone is a hardware interconnect bus. Like AHB, AXI, APB and countless other standardised buses.

It doesn't use/need drivers.