English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 27 March 2002, 23:50   #41
Shadowfire

Speaking of Wings...

Did I really suck at that game? Because I didn't ever seem to be able to survive more than 3 or 4 missions at a time! If my damn machine gun didn't jam up on me in the middle of a dogfight, I'd end up having 3 germans ganging up on me!

Anyone else find that the turnover in the Air Force was really high?
Old 28 March 2002, 00:01   #42
Djay
95th User

Quote:
Another world has the best ending for sure, It also helps a lot with the emotional background score.
yepp, thats was a good ending

Lemmings was fairly funny, a pic of the dev team plus lemming, with a round of applause.

Worst....

Xenon 2, took me ages to complete (without cheating), to be presented with a small white spot in the middle of the screen and a hi-pitched hum..... mmmmm, GREAT GAME THOU
Old 28 March 2002, 00:02   #43
Drake1009

I think I sucked more at wings. Partially because I had problems telling the difference between friend and foe so I'd usually start off nicely by shooting down my friends.
Old 28 March 2002, 06:06   #44
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

LOL
that's something I did for a while in Knights of the Sky ...
Old 28 March 2002, 12:36   #45
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

I don't know- I never had problems with picking my enemies in Wings, because your planes were brown and German planes were...er...red, right?
Old 28 March 2002, 14:46   #46
Drake1009

To me all the planes looked orange, the only way I could tell wether it was a friend or enemy was wether they fired at me or if the head of the pilot turned.
Old 28 March 2002, 17:56   #47
Mad Mark

Hehe Seems like im the 'ace' of 'Wings' here, I completed the whole game back in my amiga days, I used to cause havoc engaging the huns in dogfights, in later missions, I even encountered german ace's like Max Immelman and Oswald Bolcke, just like in 'knights of the sky', Aces have their own paint scheme to identify themselves with. In 'Wings', the regular german planes would be red, the ace's white. If you shoot down an ace, the Squadron log would report the clash.

To get a good start in 'Wings' you need to set you skills straight from the very beginning when you create a pilot, place your points to his mech aptitude, this prevents the gun from jamming frequently, It also keeps your plane from stalling, The mech skill is also the one that progresses slowest during game play, so set it high from the beginning, your other skills like 'shooting', 'flying' and 'stamina' will progress much faster.
During dogfights, conserve ammunition, use 'short bursts' when you have not got a proper aim through your sight, later you can fill em with lead, but only after you have a steady sight, don't take to the air all trigger happy, or you will become a' sitting duck' in the air, when your 'twin vickers' jam.

The later dogfight missions, will get pretty 'hairy'!, you'll maybe have a formation of 4 planes against 10-12 Germans + a German ace! Not only that, but the enemy will have the advantage of starting above and behind your formation, giving them a huge advantage, you'll need to make some sharp turns and really dodge them, before you can maneuver up behind them and fill em in.

Bomb runs become more challenging also, as you fly over seas to knock out German U-boats and bomb german factories at the same time as Fokker's try and intercept you.

The actual flying in 'Wings' can be a bit tricky. The player and AI interface is a bit clumsy, you might sight a German Plane from a distant Flying straight east, you make step turn to the left, and before you know it, he's right in front of you "CRASH". These small faults in the game will incur from time to time.

The last mission has you and 'The Red Baron' himself fighting of the last duel. Credits roll with the end to the great war, a background animation of Sopwith camels fly over the trenches to waving Tommie's.

Sounds like some of you had some graphic problems with the game, that or colour blindness
You could easily see the difference between your Squads own beige planes from that of the Germans bright red.

Old 28 March 2002, 18:17   #48
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Well, I guess I'd also qualify as an "ace" at Wings, since I completed the game years ago on my trusty A500. I did use a rather unorthodox strategy though - a little known technique called "keeping a backup of your pilot data file in case you get your butt killed".

What? You mean EVERYBODY doesn't keep a clone of themselves in cold storage just in case?
Old 28 March 2002, 18:34   #49
Mad Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuckles
Well, I guess I'd also qualify as an "ace" at Wings, since I completed the game years ago on my trusty A500. I did use a rather unorthodox strategy though - a little known technique called "keeping a backup of your pilot data file in case you get your butt killed".

What? You mean EVERYBODY doesn't keep a clone of themselves in cold storage just in case?
Sure, I should have mentioned "SAVE A LOT", but some people who posted argued that they got shoot to shit, without even getting past the first mission hardly, so I gave em a few tips.

Old 29 March 2002, 01:32   #50
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Mark
Another world has the best ending for sure, It also helps a lot with the emotional background score.

Many of the old games had atmosphere, you don't find in today's games.
I agree, a lot of games these days do lack atmosphere, but the most shocking moment in any game Ive ever seen comes from a relatively new game. The death of Aeris in FFVII was a stroke of genius IMO. Before that I dont think any leading game character had EVER been killed off mid-game. It created a real emotional response and an atmosphere I hadnt seen since the BEAST games.
Old 29 March 2002, 19:30   #51
Djay
95th User

Quote:
The death of Aeris in FFVII was a stroke of genius IMO. Before that I dont think any leading game character had EVER been killed off mid-game. It created a real emotional response and an atmosphere I hadnt seen since the BEAST games
I did read previews and reviews of FF7, but didn't really much of the storyline, which is why i was very shocked at the death of Aeris too!
I spent ages building up the character, only to lose her to part of the story, i also noticed the way the story presented a bond between Cloud and Aeris.
I was really upset, well sort..... i did get really into FF7, clocked up 125hrs, collected everything in the game, beat every boss and completed it twice for the alt. endings!
The strange thing is it was the first turn based rpg i ever played.
Old 29 March 2002, 19:46   #52
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

I had never really been into RPG's until FFVII. I had half-played a few before that, but after that game I have played every FF since.
They do have their faults, mainly that the games feel very 'on rails' but for well told storys they cant be beat.
Old 30 March 2002, 15:55   #53
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Thumbs up

Although I'd been a relative newbie to the RPG genre,(Apart from a few AD&D games on the Amiga),I warmed up to FFVII with a great little RPG called Suikoden. Although it can't compare to FFVII, it did contain a great "atmosphere", & I loved how as you expanded your Army, it changed your castle HQ with Additional characters.

BTW-what was the alternate ending to FFVII? I did play through to see the main ending once, but then decided to go back a little bit & up my skills 7 kill of Emerald, Ruby weapons' & gain Knights of the Round materia. Never did get back to finishing it off again a 2nd time. I read that if you faced Sephiroth at Lvl99 with your characters he became mega-tough to beat!

I did also read that originally, there was a mooted plotline that would've involved resurrecting Aeris later in the game, but that the idea was dropped. But I agree, it was a great game.

Back on-topic,I thought Cruise for a Corpse had a nice ending.
Apparently the Xenon 2 ending was supposed to be a "tribiute" to the old-style TV's where the picture went to a little circle before diassapearing,when you switched it off. Unfortunately most people did not get the joke.
Old 30 March 2002, 15:57   #54
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

oh i got the joke, i just didnt think it was very funny..
Old 30 March 2002, 16:23   #55
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Wink

You're not the only one. I remembered reading about it in an article in "The One" magazine talking about game endings, & that Peter Molyneaux (Bullfrog-founder), "gouged his eyes out when he saw it". Ironically some complained later about the "ending" to Syndicate given his views on game-endings!!
Old 30 March 2002, 17:12   #56
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

I never actually finished FFVII. I got to the fight with Sephiroth but didnt have the Knights of the round materia
I think I was too much of a beginner with RPG's at that time.
I think Id like to go back to it just to get the most out of it becuase Ive never played a better RPG since. FF8 was great too but not as good, and 9 was not quite as good as 8. I did actually manage to finish 9 though. It had a great ending, a bit soppy, but great. They were all superb games and I cant wait for 10!

BRING IT ON
Old 31 March 2002, 06:13   #57
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Am I the only one who thinks the Final Fantasy series sucks bad ? I've played them all for a while, and all it made to me was to get bored and pissed off...

Ok, maybe it's because I don't like RPGs that much (except a few ones), but I still think it's one of the most overrated games ever..

Back into endings, I just remebered the ending of Rolo to the Rescue for Mega-Drive ...

In the game you have to find some pieces of a puzzle, to open secret stages...if you don't find ALL pieces, and finish the game, you get a sad end..

but the end is SOO sad... I mean, the game is SOOO cute , it makes James Pond a hard game, and then it gives you that bad end if you don't do it right... it's so depressing..

Alex Kidd in Miracle World for Master System also had a crap sad ending .... I don't remember right now what it was, it was just a text telling what happened, but it was something very bad, I can remember...
Old 31 March 2002, 09:37   #58
Drake1009

Oddworld : Abe's oddysee (I don't know about exoddus) had different endings. I could imagine one of them were sad. At least it was bad.
Old 01 April 2002, 12:48   #59
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Exclamation

@Darstardly-you don't actually need KOTR materia to complete the game. In fact, from memory my characters were only around LV40-50 when I completed the game. I only went back later once I had some further information & learnt about new level attacks, defeating Emerald & Ruby weapons, gaining the special materia, chocobo breeding etc.

Another old Amiga game that had a lengthy ending was Leisure Suit Larry 2. Though it was only a PC port,it did go for several minutes.

One that dissapointed was Operation Stealth. I expected a slight bit more for a finish considering those annoying arcade sequences! It was okay,but not as polished as Cruise for a Corpse.
Old 01 April 2002, 17:11   #60
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

What I really wonder:

Has anyone ever seen the ending of 'Wings of Death' ?
When I finished it years ago it tried to load something but then the screen stayed black ( or got a guru or something alike - can't remember exactly )
I think I even read on the Thalion website that they were not sure if the ending works on the original ?