Old 23 April 2010, 15:39   #41
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
ask merlin
Old 23 April 2010, 21:01   #42
Geraldine
Amigas4Ever!

Location: Sunny Scotland. Anarchy System Tech Level 0 No Police Presence. Enter At Own Risk!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
ask merlin
Ok thanks!
Old 24 April 2010, 21:23   #43
Riempie
Amiga freak

Talking about vesalia...

Does anybody have experience with the rgb-scart cables they seem to be selling?

http://www.vesalia.de/e_amigamonitorcables[5116].htm (scroll to the bottom of the page).

I see a lot of dicussions on EAB where people make their own cables. Are the cables of vesalia the 'same' and can I connect these to an lcd-tv (I know I have to find a proper tv too..).
Old 27 April 2010, 12:35   #44
Geraldine
Amigas4Ever!

Location: Sunny Scotland. Anarchy System Tech Level 0 No Police Presence. Enter At Own Risk!
Ok, got the stuff and fitted the new 060 ( lot easier than it was to get out!). Rom chips are in their proper sockets, hard drive, cables and various screws all ready for the grand assembly, but work must come first. Can't wait to finish tonight and get home to see if it all works!
Old 27 April 2010, 14:08   #45
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
hope you got a camera so we can have some nice pics
Old 29 April 2010, 17:38   #46
Geraldine
Amigas4Ever!

Unhappy Problems

Hi all
As much as I wanted to post a screen grab of Napalm, I will have to put that on hold for a while.
I have put everything together, just as I remembered it and.....nothing, all I am getting is a black screen. Power light comes on, drive light flashed. So I swaped out the memory chips, leaving just the chip mem in place, still nothing. Took out the chip mem and put in a 4 meg simm in it's place and got a flashing yellow screen. Then took out the CS board and installed the orginal 030 board with the original chip mem back in. More yellow screens with the power light flashing on and off. Put the CS back in and left it powered on for a while and the 060 was slighlty warm, so it's getting power ok. No drive click and also disconnected the floppy, hard drive and CD drive with no difference.

Anyone have any ideas? I powered up the 4000 a few years ago with the 030 board with no problems. Maybe I have forgot something, maybe a jumper setting on the motherboard someplace? I am praying really hard the motherboard is not dead. Please help if you can, pretty please with sugar on top!
Old 29 April 2010, 17:59   #47
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The 030 and the CS MKIII need different motherboard jumper settings. I think it is INT for A3630/A3400 and EXT for CSMKIII but check that they are correct using the manuals.

http://www.zimmers.net/cbmpics/cbm/a...00jumpers.html

Quote:
J100: CLK90 Clock Source
1-2 Closed: Internal (68020/68030)
2-3 Closed: External (68040)

J104: CPU Clock Source
1-2 Closed: Internal
2-3 Closed: External
http://amiga.resource.cx/manual/CyberStorm3.pdf

Last edited by alexh; 29 April 2010 at 18:05.
Old 29 April 2010, 18:49   #48
Geraldine
Amigas4Ever!

Thanks Alex, yes the jumper settings were wrong. I must have changed them back when I refitted the 030 board all those years ago, but I am still getting a black screen. On power up the hard drive goes through it's usual start-up noise but goes no further. I think what I will do is test it in my 1200 as well as the memory chips. Just sorry I can't test the CS. I cant even get the purple insert disk screen. Could it be the new ROM chips? I was careful to make sure they were in there proper ports. The instructions that came with them were very clear.
Old 29 April 2010, 20:15   #49
Geraldine
Amigas4Ever!

Memory chips all check out, can't test the hard drive because I cant find my 2.5" to 3" cable to use on the 1200's IDE interface. Even still, it should come up with the insert floppy screen, shouldn't it? Also why didn't it start-up with the 030 board? The sinking realisation is dawning on me. All that time in storage must have damaged the motherboard in some way. One last thing I can think of is maybe the memory timing jumper is out, but why would I have changed that. Unless anyone has any further suggestions, I guess it's time to send the motherboard away for testing someplace. What a shame

Last edited by Geraldine; 29 April 2010 at 20:39.
Old 30 April 2010, 01:14   #50
Geraldine
Amigas4Ever!

I have started a support ticket with Amiga Kit. It's possible it could be some of the capacitors that are breaking down. No detectable leaks from them at least, so I will send it to them to look it over, if they are willing that is to take it on.
Old 04 August 2010, 18:19   #51
Geraldine
Amigas4Ever!

Latest on my sick Miggy

Hi Folks!
Back again after I had an update. My 4000 is still at Amikit, it's been there since May. Amikit reported that the motherboard, ROM chips and RAM chips were all ok. The HDD is stuck on its boot up sequence and unfortunately the CS MKIII is still dead. The new 060 chip I bought is working they say but no signal is being picked up by the motherboard and they tried my motherboard with another CPU board to be sure. Dont know what to do next as Amikit can only test the CS so far as they don't have circuit diagrams. It might still be repairable. Has anyone any ideas?
Old 04 August 2010, 18:45   #52
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The CSMKIII are notoriously susceptible to broken CPU sockets. It is a surface mount PGA socket instead of a through hole type and the slightest amount of pressure after all these years can cause faults.

I say replace the clock crystal first. Check all the jumpers etc.

Then consider sending it to be repaired at either Amiga Repair Center in France (JJB) http://www.amigacenter.com/Homer.html for ~€150 (that was what I was quoted last time) or see how much the down under guy Anthony Hoffman charges
Old 04 August 2010, 19:01   #53
Geraldine
Amigas4Ever!

Hi Alex, thanks for replying after all this time! The clock crystal you say? Could it be that simple? I never went near the jumpers on the CS board, so maybe that could be it. As the miggy is still at Amikit I will suggest this to them, but at least the motherboard is ok. As for the Amiga Repair Centre, would it be ok just to send the CS board or would they want the whole unit? Worse case scenario had me trawling Ebay and Amibay for any other Mk3s for sale, but that's a last resort, not that I found any anyways.
Old 06 August 2010, 23:18   #54
JACK98

Yes vesalia are real.they might had not answered the questions at mo due to stating on website while back they where on holidays ,oh and they understand english too .

Last edited by JACK98; 05 November 2015 at 18:03.
Old 06 August 2010, 23:51   #55
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldine View Post
The clock crystal you say? Could it be that simple?
Eliminate all possibilities. A new clock crystal is a cheap and easy change if done correctly. Doubtful they have done it because it would require soldering.

Quote:
I never went near the jumpers on the CS board, so maybe that could be it.
They are not traditional jumpers they are soldered links. Just pass your eye over them make sure they are all correct non altered or burnt out.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~davem2/...ock/csppc.html

Quote:
As for the Amiga Repair Centre, would it be ok just to send the CS board or would they want the whole unit?
Discuss it with him. I'm sure he'd take just the CSMKIII. I'd still talk to Anthony Hoffman too. Get quotes from both of them.

Quote:
Worse case scenario had me trawling Ebay and Amibay for any other Mk3s for sale, but that's a last resort, not that I found any anyways.
Better the devil you know. Who is to say that the one you buy does not go the way yours did after a few weeks?

Get it repaired if you can afford it. (€150 is still a lot of money)

If not sell it as non functional to someone for a high price, bank it and get a cheap A3640 for £35. At least your A4000 will be usable.

Let me know how you get on if you get it repaired. I've got one here I've been thinking of getting repaired for almost 10 years.

Last edited by alexh; 06 August 2010 at 23:58.
Old 07 August 2010, 11:54   #56
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Might be a good idea to mention its not a PPC. Its just a CS 060.
Old 09 August 2010, 12:29   #57
Geraldine
Amigas4Ever!

Hi FOL
Thanks for replying to my thread!
This is true, it's just a MkIII, but I also have a Cybervision card too, so I am stuck with either getting it repaired or replacing it. Hope you guys at AmigaKit can send me good news soon!

MkIIIs are just so difficult to find these days. I also agree with alexh, better to get my old one repaired instead of buying something that I don't know the history of, but AmigaKit are still busy with it, so I must give them their due. What happens next depends on how successful they are in getting the old girl up and running again. I am praying they do.

Last edited by Geraldine; 10 August 2010 at 00:48. Reason: Gross Spelling Stupidity
Old 09 August 2010, 13:05   #58
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
AmiKit
he he, you mean Amigakit, .

Amikit is a pre-compiled OS setup for WinUAE.

On a side note, im not working this week.
Old 10 August 2010, 00:45   #59
Geraldine
Amigas4Ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
he he, you mean Amigakit, .

Amikit is a pre-compiled OS setup for WinUAE.

On a side note, im not working this week.
Oops! Sorry there FOL! And lucky you for being off, I am on a 9 day week!
Old 20 October 2010, 02:36   #60
Geraldine
Amigas4Ever!

Just a little update. Wow its been a while. Anyways, the 4K is still at Amiga Kit, but they have been keeping me updated on their progress. Still a few tests to do on the motherboard. The CS is still dead though, however a little glimmer of hope still exists. Cosmos on Amibay (and possibly here) has kindly offered to take a look at it. His plan is to remount the 060 and I sent him a new set of pins to do just that. So still keeping my fingers crossed!