English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 30 September 2023, 08:59   #41
Flax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
Hi all,

I know that Max's systems didn't have the same cachet with the hardcore scene crowd but they were fun and there were a few lovely Max's boards.

Anyone have any nice memories of particularly good systems? Redrum was run by one Niki Murkett who also updated the Max's software creating Max's Pro then Max's Pro 2. The ansi graphics on that board were something else I remember. Then there was the whole fluffynet thing, a sort of Max's bbs version of fidonet, a nice little community. I suppose that was the difference between the Max's scene and the AmiExpress crowd, Max's bbs's tended to be "nice".

God I loved BBSing, the crunch of the modem, the flashing lights, and the free software. So much so that I was briefy a sysop myself. Sharing my parents phone meant we were only active between 10pm and 6am. That was a lot of fun, activating the node and 10pm, swapping the phone cable with the 28.8k modem, seeing the auto answer light on, and waiting. Mmmmm.
i ran skullmonkey bbs in fact was just messing with it today again on emulator i still have messages on fluffyy net from all the ppl when i when i took over from steve and i met bippy and a few others great times great fun , though i was looking for ncomm pro not the aminet version but the cracked one lol or the orig either way both i can get to run just for fun
Old 15 October 2023, 07:14   #42
XPD
Geek Kiwi

I ran a Maxs BBS system for a few years, was very popular here (Auckland. New Zealand). Was a lot of fun and made some good friends from it as well.

Did try adding it to a nationwide BBS listing system, but they kept rejecting me... "we can never get a connection" - well, that should've showed you how popular it was, and should've added me anyway

Wish there was a direct Windows clone of it, that could take advantage of my old config

Had it running sweet with a 3rd party filebase that supported file_idz etc, good section of door game, and great userbase filling the message base with amusing crap

Final build of it was on my Amiga 500+, with GVP A530 Turbo HDD unit, 6MB RAM, and a SCSI CD ROM. Think the modem was a Dynalink 56k IIRC. They were the days...
Old 23 October 2023, 16:17   #43
cloverskull

If you still have your old config, why not put it back up and make it telnet accessible? You can do it on hardware or in WinUAE
Old 31 October 2023, 02:09   #44
jcgeuze

I ran a Max's BBS called "The federation", It had 2 lines and ran on my A1200. Running a BBS was so much fun