English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 May 2020, 17:52   #41
Avrovulcan

Found three 4Mb SIMM modules for sale on Ebay for my 030 combo card. Thought I'd snap them up whilst they were still available. This means I can remove the SupraRAM card completely and still have enough memory if I revert to 68010 mode.
Old 22 May 2020, 18:50   #42
Jope
-

Excellent. This will be quite a capable A2000.
Old 22 May 2020, 20:34   #43
Avrovulcan

Hopefully. Just ready through all the other posts and threads makes me realise how much iv forgotten.
I'm happy enough with working on/modifying the hardware as I'm an electronics engineer by trade. It's the software/setting up side of things that will take me some time to get back into the swing of things.

Kind regards
Andy
Old 26 May 2020, 23:22   #44
Avrovulcan

Part 2: Floppy drive cleaning and lubrication

Managed a couple of hours up the loft this afternoon. The job for to day was to clean and lubricate the mechanisms on the floppy drives. These drives (to the best of my knowledge) have never been cleaned. DF0 did work after several attempts at booting WB 1.3, I could hear the mechanism straining as it was trying to pass the head over the disk.

I'll not go into how to actually remove the floppy/PSU sub-chassis as I'm sure its already been done on here more than once, and in any case it's not very difficult to do anyway.

After removing the cover I decided (with the advice I had been given) to remove both the GVP Impact II card and the SupraRAM card. I have 3 GVP 4MB SIMM's on order and they should be here in a day or so. These will be fitted to the 030 Combo card.

Both the floppy drives are fitted to a separate sub-chassis. This is separated by four screws, two each side.

The drives were then seperated by undoing the screws on the underside of the sub-shassis

I suppose each different make of floppy drive has it's cover secured differently. My Chinon drives have a screw each side and one on top at the very rear.

Once the screws are removed and the front cover unclipped, the drive mechanisms can be removed from the cover

I cleaned the head runner, worm gear and motor bearing with Isopropyl alcohol and then re-lubricated with white lithium grease.

The 5 1/4" drive was removed undoing the for screws (two each side) and the protective plate covering the drive mechanism and electronics was removed allowing access to the internals. The drive moving parts and heads were cleans as above and the white lithium grease was applied to the following areas:

Once this was all done the drives were all reassembled and fitted back onto the PSU chassis.

I did give the capacitors a visual inspection. Didn't see anything untoward such as bulging or leaking. I checked a couple on each drive with my Huntron Tracker and the waveforms were as expected.

In case anyone was wondering all my drives are Chinon. What's odd is that the 3.5" drive that came with the machine was a Rev.D and the second one I added a year(ish) later was Rev.0?? Given the vintage of the machine I would have expected it the other way round.

More soon

Regards
Andy
Old 27 May 2020, 12:06   #45
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I like your home "office".
Old 27 May 2020, 13:28   #46
Avrovulcan

Cheers.

Most of my test gear is either military surplus or broken test gear I got off Ebay or out of the skip at work and fixed up.
Old 29 May 2020, 18:03   #47
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avrovulcan View Post
Cheers.

Most of my test gear is either military surplus or broken test gear I got off Ebay or out of the skip at work and fixed up.
Nice photos thanks! I have an A2000 also and sometimes the floppy drive doesn't read disks that well. Did your cleaning and lubrication of the drives help with their operation? Are they working better now?

Darren
Old 29 May 2020, 19:10   #48
Avrovulcan

Hi.

Yes. Mind you this was the first time DF1 had been tried, but yes reasonably quiet (I honestly cant remember how noisy they were in the first place lol.).
But both drives read data fine. On the subject of cleaning the heads, TBH I didn't pick up much dirt. The cotton bud was pretty clean after passing it overthr heads. But I'm glad I did it anyway.

On a side note, my 3 4MB GVP SIMM modules turned up today. So that's another job to do.
Out of interest does anyone know if the SCSI2SD can run on 5V from the GVP Combo 030's 50 pin SCSI header or will I have to tap off the 5V from the main power harness

Kind regards
Andy
Old 29 May 2020, 20:05   #49
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avrovulcan
Out of interest does anyone know if the SCSI2SD can run on 5V from the GVP Combo 030's 50 pin SCSI header or will I have to tap off the 5V from the main power harness
There’s no power on the 50 pin SCSI connector. It needs separate molecules power connector from the PSU just like a normal hard drive does
Old 29 May 2020, 20:17   #50
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
There’s no power on the 50 pin SCSI connector. It needs separate molecules power connector from the PSU just like a normal hard drive does
With some controllers the termination power pin gives enough milli amps that the scsi2sd can leech off that. In this setup I'd also recommend just using the Amiga's PSU.

Last edited by Jope; 29 May 2020 at 20:32.
Old 29 May 2020, 22:55   #51
Avrovulcan

Brilliant thanks guys.

I'll knock up an adaptor
Old 30 May 2020, 21:54   #52
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

There should be one or two molex power connectors coming out of a standard A2000 PSU
Old 05 June 2020, 17:10   #53
Avrovulcan

Aye that's right. I think I have ibr spare. If not I'll build a splitter.

As an aside my AmigaOS ROMand disks turned up yesterday as did the battery replacement module.
So I have plenty to do for the next update, which will hopefully also include installing the SCSI2SD PCB and GVP SIMM modules.

Regards
Andy