English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 02 June 2015, 17:13   #41
Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Lets say that faster than 5% is better than supporting obsolete PC. In my opinion anything older than Intel Core (or matching AMD model) is totally obsolete today
i am a sucker for obsolete stuff in general, so give yourself a start, say farewell to the speed peanuts and make emulating an obsolete computer on an obsolete computer still happen
Old 02 June 2015, 18:30   #42
mark_k

Quote:
Lets say that faster than 5% is better than supporting obsolete PC. In my opinion anything older than Intel Core (or matching AMD model) is totally obsolete today
Why not build several executables (x86, SSE1/2/3/4/AVX) and have the installer install the best one for the user's PC? You could store one executable plus delta/patch info in the installer file so its size wouldn't necessarily increase much.

That might be a bit of a pain to set up/script initially, but once the work is done the only down side I can see is slightly longer release build time. But your uber-fast PC could handle that, right?
Old 02 June 2015, 19:02   #43
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
i am a sucker for obsolete stuff in general, so give yourself a start, say farewell to the speed peanuts and make emulating an obsolete computer on an obsolete computer still happen
Buy a new PC! Or old one, there are lots of old models that are not obsolete yet

Running retro machine emulation on retro PC is not supported option. (Perhaps next time you ask WinUAE to run on Windows NT 3.51 with PPC CPU, right? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
Why not build several executables (x86, SSE1/2/3/4/AVX) and have the installer install the best one for the user's PC? You could store one executable plus delta/patch info in the installer file so its size wouldn't necessarily increase much.
Did you seriously expected me to do that? Anything that requires more extremely boring non-coding/non-emulation design work/time is not going to happen. (and debugging, what if only one version has a weird bug due to some side-effect?)
Old 02 June 2015, 19:19   #44
Nova

@mark_k: wow, it is already 3 of us, start counting

Quote:
Buy a new PC! Or old one, there are lots of old models that are not obsolete yet
this is not my main machine, and that is not the point anyways - it is about keeping up that spirit

Quote:
Running retro machine emulation on retro PC is not supported option. (Perhaps next time you ask WinUAE to run on Windows NT 3.51 with PPC CPU, right? )
exactly, how could you tell damn i better stick with that tiny alu cap in future days
Old 02 June 2015, 19:22   #45
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
@mark_k: wow, it is already 3 of us, start counting
He does not count, sorry.

I can build totally unofficial non-SSE version and attach it here somewhere when 3.1 is out. But it may not work (for example some other dependency may have other requirements), good enough?
Old 08 June 2015, 20:04   #46
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

3.1 with no SSE attached. Nothing guaranteed. Unsupported. Your PC explodes if used. World will end.
Attached Files
File Type: 7z winuae_nosse.7z (2.95 MB, 166 views)
Old 15 June 2015, 16:20   #47
Nova

@toni: i just wanted to let you know, pc is still alive, but unfortunately it still does not work (same error as before).

i took the regular version of 3.1 and replaced the winuae.exe with your nonsse version.
Old 15 June 2015, 17:06   #48
mark_k

Perhaps all the files in winuaeinclibs.zip would also need to be compiled for x86 or SSE1 only (not SSE2)?
Old 27 June 2015, 00:06   #49
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Here are a few examples of WinUAE 3.1.0 A500 configuration settings for an old PC.

The configurations were tested on my "outdated" Pentium M 2.13 MHz laptop with WindowsXP SP3 OS system!

Even the cycle-exact configuration working quite decent,
but the approximate configuration is really good balance between compatibility and the need for a fast processor,
so the laptop is less noisy because, yeah, the processor is less heated.

There are 4 configurations -> Direct3D or DirectDraw and Cycle-exact or Approximate.
All are adjusted for fullscreen too. (Note: "LCtrl + F12" to switch between window/fullscreen!)

Hope that some of this configurations might be useful to others with "outdated PC" too!

NOTE: Only "cycle-exact" configurations are valid for reporting possible problems in emulation!

EDIT:
Also, configurations are set so that minimize unwanted occurrences in emulation...
for example, screen tearing, audio and input delay are reduced as much as possible retaining min necessary CPU resources! (also to improve the overall experience)

In addition, the approximate configuration is adjusted to be "more compatible" than just to turn OFF cycle-exact! (hmm, how is that possible?!)
(yeah, possible because of lot of testing with demos)

Enjoy!

Last edited by amilo3438; 27 June 2015 at 01:21.
Old 27 June 2015, 02:07   #50
Leandro Jardim

Hi amilo3438, your configurations are very interesting; I was thinking, based on your experience with demos, may you post some configuration set for A1200, too? Thanks.
Old 27 June 2015, 13:24   #51
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Jardim View Post
Hi amilo3438, your configurations are very interesting; I was thinking, based on your experience with demos, may you post some configuration set for A1200, too? Thanks.
Hi Leandro, glad you find my configurations interesting.

Regarding A1200 configs there are four:

- the cycle-exact config is the most cpu intensive
- the custom config is less cpu intensive and seems more compatible in some cases (run some demos without glitches)
- and 2 similar performance configurations; approximate seems a little faster and fast possible seems a little slower in some cases, so that depending on the situation, one works better than the other and vice versa. (but both has similar low cpu usage)

Enjoy

p.s.
Regarding DirectDraw configurations, I consider them outdated and not recommended for use. (so I did not attach to this case)
Old 27 June 2015, 19:02   #52
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by amilo3438 View Post
Hi Leandro, glad you find my configurations interesting.

Regarding A1200 configs there are four:

- the cycle-exact config is the most cpu intensive
- the custom config is less cpu intensive and seems more compatible in some cases (run some demos without glitches)
- and 2 similar performance configurations; approximate seems a little faster and fast possible seems a little slower in some cases, so that depending on the situation, one works better than the other and vice versa. (but both has similar low cpu usage)

Enjoy

p.s.
Regarding DirectDraw configurations, I consider them outdated and not recommended for use. (so I did not attach to this case)
Thanks.
Old 27 June 2015, 19:04   #53
mark_k

For most software, you can probably change Collision Level (in Chipset settings panel) to None to speed up emulation.
Old 27 June 2015, 20:56   #54
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

In the extreme case can be reduced "Refresh" rate for one move to right in "Display" tab. (works only in approximate and fast possible configurations)

Further reducing the "Refresh" rate pretty bad influence on the fluidity so that it is not advisable.

Last edited by amilo3438; 27 June 2015 at 21:02.
Old 28 June 2015, 12:54   #55
Leandro Jardim

Thanks everyone.
Old 15 November 2015, 12:34   #56
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

winuae3200 seems last version that support winxp sp3 (sse2)?!
(new test versions od winuae does not work anymore on my PC)

Well, not bad, anyway do not expect anything special in the following versions!

P.s.
although I wonder which is the reason for this; is because it is no longer possible , or more simply does not want to give support anymore ?!

Last edited by amilo3438; 15 November 2015 at 13:36.
Old 16 November 2015, 11:23   #57
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

I wonder if you guys stuck with XP might have more luck with Linux + WINE?

As far as I know, WinUAE works fine under WINE usually - if it crashes even under Linux + WINE, then well... It's time to get a new CPU + MOBO

Can't really blame Toni for not wanting to support an OS which even Microsoft discountined
Old 16 November 2015, 12:14   #58
AnnaWu

Quote:
Originally Posted by amilo3438 View Post
winuae3200 seems last version that support winxp sp3 (sse2)?!
(new test versions od winuae does not work anymore on my PC)
Maybe I don't understood something?
The last public beta version is still working for me (WinXP Pro SP3 32-bit) if you meant SSE2 and not SSE1.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xp.png
Views:	203
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	46267  

Last edited by AnnaWu; 16 November 2015 at 18:06.
Old 16 November 2015, 20:22   #59
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Ok, it still works!

I found the culprit - have recently upgraded my Avast Antivirus and for some reason it does not like new winuae test versions!? (after starting it seems it will never begin)

If disable the mentioned Antivirus it starts without problem.

It does not happen with official 3200 winuae - this one works fine with Avast. (what could be a reason?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
I wonder if you guys stuck with XP might have more luck with Linux + WINE?
Yeah, maybe, but hmm, I dont know is it worth because the current 3200 version works really nice/fine!
(what's that supposed to be new in the next version to be decided on a such change?)

EDIT:
I have today again upgraded Avast Antivirus and the mentioned problem seems gone. (Nice)

Last edited by amilo3438; 22 November 2015 at 00:07.
Old 17 November 2015, 13:51   #60
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Avast kinda sucks anyway, so go on and uninstall it Better start using something good like Bitdefender or Avira!

(Before someone complains and starts listing their favourite AV, let's please stick to the data: http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-co...eet2015_10.pdf )