English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 30 July 2010, 22:51   #41
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
There are some other aspects, such as that I think WHDLoad "rips off" a larger number of deserving companies
Could you explain what you mean by this?
Old 30 July 2010, 23:17   #42
Allen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
That was an interesting read but I think Photon may have got his Cloanto and WHDLoad's mixed up when that sprang up. There is so much confusion over who has the rights to do which with what and if I recall the rather large thread with discussions about Cloanto and its possible dubious use of games without the authors consent etc. That I would think is where this originally came from and seems to have got mixed up along the way plus it is reasonably late

Apart from that, I enjoyed the post
Old 31 July 2010, 16:08   #43
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
CF Card Fully Setup with Activation left in place

Hi!

Well I've managed to fully setup a 4gb CF card with the Classic Workbench Activation still in place, also the Kickstart Roms used by WHDLoad have been left out and you require your own WHDLoad registration for some games.

Everything is setup and working, games lists, IGame screenshots, Assigns, etc. During the installation you will see that I didn't need to install the IGame support as I has already set that up

Anyway here is a better quality video:

[ Show youtube player ]

Going forward the only issues I can see now are supplying the WHDLoad installs and also if the end user has a Workbench Disk with read errors they will not be able to activate it

The WB3.0 Disk I used yesterday on the A600 would not activate the A4000 today so I had to open up my brand new set of 3.1's

Cheers,

Steve.

Last edited by fitzsteve; 31 July 2010 at 16:14.
Old 31 July 2010, 16:25   #44
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
It's a brain-damage I have, seeing all sides of an argument. Well, in short,

I think it's weird if companies who no longer actively develop OSes or games for Amiga should claim royalties or such for OSes/games developed ages ago.

There's nothing wrong with paying part of the winnings to a common pool that benefits Amiga. But if there is any ripping off at all, there is a giganormous ripping off of hundreds of game companies going on with the WHDLoad project, and the ones who should get paid are the game companies. The game companies don't do anything for Amiga, and since decades there's no companies to send the money to anyway.

So I think it's weird to view it as ripping off, that's the reason for the double quotes.

To make my viewpoint clear, I think anything goes. Preferably users getting their Amiga up to speed should get software through channels that support development of software or Amiga stores. Not all new users are part of the community or know about licenses and webshops, so I think until they get their bearings it's okay to offer services to get more Amigas running and used. If community projects or Amiga shops think they get ripped off, they should think about how much more money they'll make selling upgrades and software when more Amigas are running and used. Anything that makes the Amiga market grow is good for everyone involved, and Amiga.
Old 31 July 2010, 16:48   #45
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

You're still not making sense...

Why should WHDLoad owe any money to games companies?

WHDLoad do not distribute companies' games. All they do is provide ways of installing them.
Old 31 July 2010, 17:17   #46
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

It's the same way of ripping off a company as ScummVM does with LucasArts, right? I think I get your point Photon. Wait... maybe I don't.
Old 31 July 2010, 19:31   #47
Photon

Well, this WHDLoad member scans disks and patches them. That member provides installable images. Users can request a game for patching whether they own the original or not, and a while later WHDLoad members have created a slave for him. It could at least be argued that the WHDLoad project competes illegally with sales of games. But 'facilitating the playing of games you don't own' is even farther removed from what I meant than the game industry (as they've done before) suing a cartridge or copy-program developer.

I guess the more generic point was that any money should go to creators and nobody else, if those don't actively support Amiga nobody should have a problem with who makes the money. Cloanto is closer to what I meant, it was a bit silly to bring up WHDLoad.
Old 31 July 2010, 19:35   #48
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
That member provides installable images.
Bullshit That member provides the install, nothing more. You can argue that KG harms someone, but he does that for free and doesn't accept donations. WHDLoad is certainly not ripping off anyone.
Old 31 July 2010, 19:39   #49
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Rrrright...

I'm going to leave this alone now.
Old 31 July 2010, 19:41   #50
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

These "game companies" should pay all WHDLoad patcher, because they improve their games (hd-installable and working on all Amiga machines).

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 31 July 2010 at 19:46.
Old 31 July 2010, 19:47   #51
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
@Mods can you close the thread for me - Its clear that this gesture will just spiral into a row over who owns what and such.

Thats really not what I intended, I thought I was doing the community a favour.

Steve.
Old 31 July 2010, 21:50   #52
Photon

Ehumm... TCD, my argument was that those who provide images harm noone, really. That nobody should have issues with anything that supports Amiga except those who actively support Amiga. Dunno what else to write to clarify it further. I think WHDLoad is awesome...

Steve, I think your service is well thought out and isn't connected with ownership and stuff at all..? What with the activation kept, user supplied key/kickfiles etc?

It's just too bad that initiatives like this tend to end up being about ownership of things long since abandoned in any real sense of the word. And that's not pointing fingers, I take my part of the blame for going offtopic.
Old 31 July 2010, 22:19   #53
Techseeker

I think its a great idea.

But isnt this just typical Amiga
Too busy fighting so nothing gets done.
Old 31 July 2010, 22:19   #54
seuden
uber cool demi god

If people are interested just let them PM you Steve and do it behind close doors. All this about ownership is bullshit.
Old 01 August 2010, 00:14   #55
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
@Mods can you close the thread for me - Its clear that this gesture will just spiral into a row over who owns what and such.
As you wish Steve.