English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 08 December 2014, 19:00   #41
Zippy Zapp

As an update to the socket replacement:
I sanded the pins of the CPU a bit with a nail buffing pad which is really light and made them shiny again. I tested the socket for continuity and it checks out from top to bottom and from socket pin to cpu expansion slot next to it. I put the CPU back in its socket and everything checks out continuity wise.

I still get a black screen. Could the socket be bad but everything still checking out continuity wise? I removed the mega chip that was installed and found one of the legs on that was broken off. Removed the Agnus chip from the mega chip and placed it back in the MB socket. Agnus chip does get hot. CPU chip does not.

I am probably veering a bit off topic but before I actually replace the socket I want to be sure I am not doing it for nothing...

Thanks!
Old 08 December 2014, 21:24   #42
amigasith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy Zapp
I am probably veering a bit off topic but before I actually replace the socket I want to be sure I am not doing it for nothing...
No problem for going off-topic, at least not for me My A2000 had an additional issue that caused the black screen of death. I only noticed it after a very looong search... Besides the CPU socket, there was a broken trace on the board.

A bit of background: One of the previous owners of my A2000 did the 1MB chip mem hack. You can read about it for example here: http://www.nightfallcrew.com/30/09/2...ipram-upgrade/

The problem was that the guy who applied the hack obviously used a razor blade to "open" J500, as suggested by many of those tutorials. But he cut at least one, probably more traces below J500. Click on the photo for J500 in the article (direct link) and you will see that there are many traces running close to J500... On top of this, my A2000 case is a bit bent, and so my guess is depending on how I screwed the board back in place, the trace was either closed or open. This means that I only sometimes had the BSOD - you can imagine how this can drive you crazy Simply removing the board and putting it back into place did solve the BSOD - or caused it...

When I found the broken trace, I removed the board lacquer below J500 and used some solder with a lot of flux inside. This closed the broken trace(s) very nicely, simply by putting some solder with the flux inside on the whole area - I did not have to solder the traces individually. Now my A2000 runs rock solid Hope this helps you somehow...
Old 08 December 2014, 22:10   #43
Zippy Zapp

@amigasith,

It does help me, thank you very much. My 2000 worked when it went into storage 15 or so years ago. The only damage I could see was the battery leak, hence the replacement cpu socket. Its weird the board in that area seems like there are some broken traces or gaps, I'll have to take some pictures and post them of the area when I get home, but I tested them from their connecting points and they all four test fine. Arrrrg. I don't need this Amiga to work to use it as I have now a replacement, but I so badly want to get it working again just to save it and keep as a spare. I wish I was better at electronics and had all the right equipment. At least I am making progress in building a good electronics workbench.

Thanks Again and I'll report back on the traces.
Old 07 June 2020, 13:20   #44
Vipersan

As anyone who reads any of my posts will know ..I am a huge fan of turned pin sockets over any other type ..
and although 86 pin sockets are available ..they are often expensive.
I bought at least 10 from this guy in France.
Peter is very appreciative and great communication.
..and
relatively inexpensive.

I figured he deserved a bit of promotion.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lot-de-3-...72.m2749.l2649
Old 07 June 2020, 20:42   #45
Liqourice

This sounds a bit weird. I bought a pack of different sockets in an electronics store, including an 86 pin one, for like €2. Sure, it wasn't the best quality but it worked.
Old 08 June 2020, 11:28   #46
Daedalus

86 pin? The 68000 is 64-pin... Also available from industrial suppliers for similar, or slightly cheaper, prices: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/dil-sockets/0813200/
Old 08 June 2020, 14:19   #47
Liqourice

Of course it's 64 pin, to tired so just read and copied previous post.
Old 08 June 2020, 20:14   #48
nogginthenog
Amigan

I have a 100s of turned pin strips bought cheap from AliExpress. I don't see any advantage of sockets.

1st link I found: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SIB-132-S00.../dp/B00418GMTU