English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

View Poll Results: What is your favourite Amiga magazine?
Amiga Action 5 2.37%
Amiga Computing 3 1.42%
Amiga Format 54 25.59%
CU Amiga 39 18.48%
Amiga Power 29 13.74%
Amiga Shopper 7 3.32%
The One 19 9.00%
Zzap! 3 1.42%
Zero (covered also Atari ST & pc) 3 1.42%
Amiga Joker (German) 23 10.90%
Other Amiga magazine 26 12.32%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08 September 2001, 11:48   #41
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Here's why Amiga Action is nobody's favorite. Grabbing a random copy off the pile here...
Quote:
Amiga Action Issue 64, December 1994
Rise of the Robots review
"...Rise of the Robots is nothing short of stunning. The project is technically brilliant. The Amiga is streteched so far that it almost creaks....Control, graphics, sound and playability are all excellent. As I said before, anything over £35 is expensive for a game in my book, but if ever anything is worth that sort of money, it has got to be this. A memorable moment in the Amiga's history... and you can quote me on that one! Yes siree!
- REVIEWED BY CHICKEN

SECOND OPINION
This isn't possible. An Amiga game cannot look this good. I refuse to believe it. Someone from Mirage must have come in one night and cunningly swapped all the Amigas for PCs without anyone noticing...
- OPINION BY DOUBTING THOMAS
This Chicken guy consistently tried to guess what he thought would be big Amiga games and wrote his reviews accordingly. I don't believe he ever played them for more than a few short moments. Whoever wrote the 'Second Opinions' agreed with Chicken 99% of the time. Chicken shit, more like. If you're going to put out a crap mag like this, why not just go the whole nine yards and make it a US mag?
Old 08 September 2001, 13:11   #42
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Hmm-I seem to recall most competitors of Amiga Action liked to point out it was owned by a Software publisher-probably why their reviews were that lousy
Old 10 September 2001, 10:35   #43
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

I've been typing up CU Amiga review scores and with about 200 scores, the average is 76%.

The October 1991 issue has the following scores:

Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 - 93%
Midwinter 2: Flames Of Freedom - 92%
Lord Of The Rings, The - 90%
Flight Of The Intruder - 92%
Alien Breed - 90%
Last Ninja 3 - 90%
Virtual Worlds - 89%
Death Knights Of Krynn - 88%
etc.

That's either one of the best months ever, or something fishy is going on!
Old 10 September 2001, 10:41   #44
Amigaboy

Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 - 93% - Well deserved

Alien Breed - 90% - Should've gotten about 85%

Last Ninja 3 - 90% - Should've gotten about 87%

I haven't played the rest so I don't know

Old 10 September 2001, 12:28   #45
Tim Janssen

Question Which CU issues do you own?

Cody,
Which CU Amiga issues do you own? I have many (not all) of them from 1986 until 1994.
CU were always rating games high. Currently I am working on a homepage were all the different reviews (in HTML) and scores of a single game can be found. And, -surprise surprise- CU throw with Screenstars were other magazines are slagging games off. Take a look at Action Fighter for example: CU rated it 85% and Zzap! gave it 35%.
Old 10 September 2001, 13:37   #46
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

I've got a lot of copies of CU Amiga, but I'm still going through them and I can't remember which ones.

I've got most Amiga Formats too, every Amiga Power and some Amiga Shopper, Amiga Computing...
Old 10 September 2001, 19:57   #47
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I like the review style from the ZZap issues I have. They aren't afraid to give a game 15%. The spectrum starts at 0, even if some mags automatically gave a game the first 50 or 60 points.
Old 17 August 2002, 15:59   #48
thinlega
.:Part-Time Winner:.

I bought numerous amiga mags... and I did like cu-amiga....but for some unknown reason I have to say I like ZERO the most!? Maybe it was the humor??but It was very different to all of the other mags.....if only it was an amiga only magazine
Old 17 August 2002, 17:48   #49
CPC464

Send a message via ICQ to CPC464 Send a message via AIM to CPC464
I voted CU Amiga,

I thought the content and cover disks were GREAT
Old 18 August 2002, 08:13   #50
Dalai

LOL @ the Amiga Action Rise of the Robots review..

Compare to Amiga Power's summary:

"Words cannot fully convey the extent to which Rise of the Robots is the poorest full-price release ever in the history of all things, although imagining it as an insuperably retarded beat-'em-up that Player One can complete at any moment by holding down diagonally up and right and the fire button captures its essential risibility. The nearest the software industry has yet to come to robbing an elderly deaf woman in a wheelchair whose son has just died in a car accident returning from the funeral of his father and sister killed when their ancestral home burned to the ground and then severely beating her. With the diseased family pet. [1 star]"
Old 19 August 2002, 02:08   #51
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Now THAT precicely sums up why Amiga Power was the daddy of them all. Funny, irreverant, entertaining - but always accurate.
The ONE which occasionly had it moments always STRIVED to be AP but could only imitate.

Like all kids with a computer, i was only interested in the games. As was the mag, and it reflected that as such it was perfect for that audience. Don't get me wrong, AF and CU Amiga were also worthy as they demanded a different audience, but it always be AP that i will have fond memories of. I would love to see AP reviews online for all the above reasons.
Old 20 August 2002, 00:21   #52
Doozy

Aye good old mags and amiga obsession...

Yes guys this poll brings back memories of arguments, priorities and obsession.....

See I always bought CU Amiga and Amiga Format EVERY month, without fail. Then my girlfriend (at the time) got pregnant and I had to stand by her. We got a house together and everything, with the one exception - a decent job. For the time together we only had a few quid between us, but I still insisted that I had to get me monthly fix of mags every month...... mutch to her dislike!

Anyway.. the memory is not of us parting, but of the fact that the month CU Amiga published their final mag was the month my ex decided to fool around with my best-mate (not any more!)

Thing was she left me and took our baby to live with my so-called mate, but still the only thing that helped me along was my obsession with the old miggy....

I continued from there to purchase the only available mag, PC Format and did so until its demise

The only thing I can say is...... If you need to depend on one "girlfriend" it must be the Amiga! It don't screw you because it nows that it is always in your heart

Anyway cheers for listening guys and teh only reason I chose PC Format was because it was the only mag that hung in until the end..... (end of publication funds of course!)

Old 21 August 2002, 18:05   #53
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Wink

Well Doozy, Amiga is supposed to spanish for "girlfriend" anyway! (or so the Amiga myths/legends go-any spanish speaking people maybe able to shed some light on that translation!)
Old 22 August 2002, 00:22   #54
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Zero and Amiga Powah!

My favourite was Zero right up until it changed into some weird kiddy comic format!

The humour was mostly aimed at the British, but a lot of the stuff they used to do is now copied by lads mags (FHM, Maxim etc). I remember they reviewed Lotus Turbo Challenge, and they had a picture of a Lotus in the middle of the field and a caption, much like FHM do now, saying something along the lines of 'Get a Lotus with the ground clearance of a snail and park it in a field... nice one!'...... the reviews were on balance, ok, but the humour was what made me laugh...... oh yeah, and that stupid pratt Ludwig Ledbury in the letters pages...... got so famous, his opinions on Gods by the Bitmap Brothers was included in their Adverts!! 'As reviewed by Ludwig Ledbury, Certified God!'.

And Amiga Power.... even if they did kick the shit out of Speris Legacy, it was probably an accurate review. Sometimes, they were a little too brutal. I can't remember the games, but some games came in for some real shit, and I think it was unwarranted, but for the most part, they were right.

they were to Amiga Software Publishers what Jeremy Clarkson is to Car companies.... the speak the brutal truth, and if they want to review it, they generally have to go buy it!
Old 22 August 2002, 00:46   #55
Uukrul

Quote:
Originally posted by 7-Zark-7
Well Doozy, Amiga is supposed to spanish for "girlfriend" anyway! (or so the Amiga myths/legends go-any spanish speaking people maybe able to shed some light on that translation!)
Spanish word for girlfriend is "novia"
"Amiga" is like friend in English.

"Amigo" -> male friend
"Amiga" -> female friend

Old 22 August 2002, 02:17   #56
th4t1guy

I always read Amiga Action (the older mags were fairly decent) and had a subscription to Amiga World (which for some reason is NOT listed!).

There was also Amiga Game Zone which only put out about 4 issues. Their reviews weren't the best, but considering how it was one of the only mags available in the US at the time, I have to admire it just for that.

As for that review of Rise of the Robots, didn't that game come out after Commodore went bankrupt? If so, that would explain a lot.
Old 23 August 2002, 22:54   #57
MJH

I had every issue of Amiga Power, including the CD edition and the preview issue that came free with Amiga Format. In the early days, I thought it was the best thing since the last very good thing. The quality of the editorial nosedived in the last few months, descending into puerile nonesense to make up for the lack of real content. A sad end to a great magazine.

I've just sourced some issues of Amiga User International from 1989. I can't believe how appalling the proofreading was! So many mistakes.

I'm starting to wish that I hadn't thrown out my magazine collection some years back. To be honest, though, I didn't really have a choice. They had already wrecked one MFI bookshelf, and in the end I had no room in my wardrobe for clothes.

Wasn't life great before we all had internet access?

Old 14 December 2004, 14:13   #58
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
CU Amiga definitely i had great moments with that magazine until they had to close it down ... still reading the old issues though
Old 24 February 2017, 15:50   #59
Amigajay

An old thread to revive, but the closest one to what i want to discuss!

I've bored at work today, so was looking through the Amiga Magazine Rack and remembering what Amiga magazines i bought back in the day, joted down the issues and here's my results which are consistent with my memories of my 3 fav Amiga mags;

Amiga Action - 11 issues
Amiga Computing - 4 issues
Amiga Format - 32 issues
Amiga Power - 16 issues
Amiga Pro - 3 issues
Amiga Shopper - 4 issues
Amiga User International - 4 issues
Amga CD32 - 2 issues
CD32 Gamer - 15 issues
CU Amiga - 34 issues
The One Amiga - 28 issues

153 issues @£3-£5 a pop is quite a bit

Good memories looking at some, its normally the coverdisks that trigger if i bought it or not, because that was the reason 99% of the time, some of those Christmas issues brought back good memories too!
Old 01 March 2017, 11:13   #60
NorthWay

A seriously unholy necro that one, but why not join in then:
"Transactor for the Amiga" is sorely missing here. Very much a favourite of mine.

I used to buy all the others too and they all had their pros (and cons). AUI was probably the first serious one and was a bit different - I liked that they used a glued spine.
I have serious amounts of old magazines and comics in shelves around the house...