Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 December 2020, 14:12   #41
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master484 View Post
There are countless of examples, but this video gives a good general idea:

[ Show youtube player ]
RiP Laffer, your videos are still being watched and you are missed.

As for PC vs. Amiga... this was discussed here multiple times... In overall, things changed in first half of 90s with cheaper PC, HD being cheaper and more available on PC with games supporting it at greater number and finally, Commodore bankruptcy that moved all development to PC...
Old 22 December 2020, 15:51   #42
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Commodore bankruptcy that moved all development to PC...
It had already happened way before Commodore bankruptcy took place, only we were the last to know. This said, until the very last day, some Amiga contributors tried to cling on the notion that Amiga still had potential. I remember Defender Of the Crown I & II graphic designer James Sachs seemed really surprised when he learnt about it. Many software houses had already planned it ahead, but not Cinemaware apparently.

Quote:
Question : What is the story behind Defender of the Crown II? How did you get the rights to this title? Was that your idea or was it Commodore's?

Answer : Cinemaware went bankrupt and therefore could not pay the royalties. I had already done the graphics for Commodore's CDTV and CD32 machines and contacted them with the idea of ??totally redoing Defender of the Crown. I reworked the script, took the programming back to zero, composed all the new music, added some extra graphics, and translated the game into five languages. Shortly after the first CD was pressed, Commodore in turn went bankrupt : So I never received any payment. All I got were twelve CDs of the game.
For some reason, Mr. Sachs considers both events are tied, Commodore going bankrupt and Cinemaware not wanting to let him polish the turd... I mean not wanting to let him finish the remake . As we all know, DotC II was released in 1993 nonetheless, despite being unfinished and nearly unplayable... Which brings me to, DotC and Rocket Ranger look and sound much better on the Amiga but the DOS versions bear the enhanced gameplay from the C64 version, so sometimes it's not that simple to give a straight answer to questions such as the one OP is asking in here!

Last edited by SquawkBox; 23 December 2020 at 00:36.