English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 29 March 2021, 19:21   #41
Fiery Phoenix

Bummer - on the list to play as well

Due to the above gave it a go, got through the training missions ok, mine actually crashes on the first proper mission (stage 1 of 5 - finding 12 hostiles) music carries on playing fine, but screen freezes

Tried various option in the setup too, before the game loads in the WB options, max memory, low-scale options for animation, etc - always crashes for me
Old 29 March 2021, 19:58   #42
Zarnal

To those who have problems:

which RTG card are you using?

UaeGfx, PIV, other?

Which version for the 68040.library or 68060.library?

What is the version of your Workbench?

A save of your game (where the problem appears) would be useful for me to test.
Old 29 March 2021, 20:06   #43
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarnal View Post
To those who have problems:

which RTG card are you using?

UaeGfx, PIV, other?

Which version for the 68040.library or 68060.library?

What is the version of your Workbench?

A save of your game (where the problem appears) would be useful for me to test.
I haven't played enough to get to Mission 2 as yet...

My setup is via WinUAE:
  • 68040 / FPU - CPU internal / Fastest possible / JIT
  • KS ROM v3.1 (A1200) rev 40.68 (512k)
  • 2MB Chip and 64MB Z3 Fast RAM
  • UAE Zorro III / 8MB RAM
  • Amiga OS 3.1 standard install.
Old 29 March 2021, 20:08   #44
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Hmmm, if I get a chance tonight I'll fire up my A1200 and get whatever details I have from it.
That would be appreciated Daedalus

Quote:
But, from memory, software rendering is only supported for the PPC version, so it might not fully work in the 68k version. I only ever used the Warp3D version, so it's also possible that it was fixed in the update for 3D hardware but not for the software renderer. In that case, Wazp3D, or emulating a 3D accelerated card might help...
Never setup Wazp3D or a 3D accelerator card before so would need to work out how...

Can this be done under OS 3.1? If not and only OS 4.x then that's a no go for me.
Old 29 March 2021, 20:26   #45
Fiery Phoenix

Same as yours Damien - you actually got it working for me!

Yeah sailed through training missions without a hitch. First problem I encountered
Old 29 March 2021, 20:48   #46
Patrickx1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post

Patrick; as you have the game and are able to get to Mission 2... are you willing to test for me?

I'll send you an archive with 2 x .HDFs:
  • "FreespaceUpd68k_1" & "Memory increase via Setup".
  • "FreespaceUpd68k_1" & "Freespace68k Beta 2".

The problem no longer appears for me with Freespace68k Beta 2, I was able to complete mission 2 now without any freeze
Old 29 March 2021, 20:55   #47
jPV

Zoned the PPC version of the Beta 2 too, just in case.
Old 29 March 2021, 21:04   #48
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickx1989 View Post
The problem no longer appears for me with Freespace68k Beta 2, I was able to complete mission 2 now without any freeze
Awesome news, thank God for that

Many thanks for testing Patrick

I really have to wonder why Hyperion don't provide the "Freespace68k Beta 2.lha" file on their website then?
Old 29 March 2021, 21:42   #49
jPV

Probably because it's still beta
Old 29 March 2021, 22:04   #50
Daedalus

Quote:
Never setup Wazp3D or a 3D accelerator card before so would need to work out how...

Can this be done under OS 3.1? If not and only OS 4.x then that's a no go for me.
I've never done it under WinUAE, but I believe you can indeed emulate a Voodoo 3 if you have the correct ROM image, and once that's the case, install Picasso96 and the Voodoo driver, and Warp3D. That's how it goes on real hardware anyway...

Quote:
I really have to wonder why Hyperion don't provide the "Freespace68k Beta 2.lha" file on their website then?
I wonder if it wasn't an official release, maybe compiled for an individual to fix some issue? But good that it's available one way or another now anyway.

Quote:
Excellent! I never had this fix back in the day, but I've found out how I got around it back then...

Looking at my files now, my Freespace.exe is 2747016 bytes, which appears to match the update 1 version. It would appear that I installed the original game 12-Dec-2001, and the update 15-Mar-2002 (just for interest). But it's probably the same update that Hyperion have listed with the later date now.

Now, I'm a bit of a digital hoarder and rarely delete anything. So I fired up YAM on my A1200 and found the emails between myself and the developers back in 2002. Apparently someone else was having the problem and it turned out to be damaged texture files for the asteroids. They sent out a fixed copy of the file, and it fixed the problem for them but not for me it seems. Instead, it looks like I simply renamed the three files:

asteroid01a.pcx
asteroid01b.pcx
asteroid01c.pcx

so the game didn't try to load them, and all was well, or at least, well enough to get past that point and play the rest of the game. I've attached the file they sent me anyway, just in case you wanted to try it? The three files are actually identical, so just copy and rename the file in the archive.
Attached Files
File Type: lzx asteroid.lzx (19.0 KB, 83 views)
Old 29 March 2021, 22:17   #51
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jPV View Post
Probably because it's still beta
You would hope after sooooo many years that it's been tested thoroughly though; and good for release.

If you didn't have the file then Patrick and myself would have been definitely stuck

Plus surely others must have reported this "Mission 2 asteroid" issue?

Quote:
Excellent! I never had this fix back in the day, but I've found out how I got around it back then...

Looking at my files now, my Freespace.exe is 2747016 bytes, which appears to match the update 1 version. It would appear that I installed the original game 12-Dec-2001, and the update 15-Mar-2002 (just for interest). But it's probably the same update that Hyperion have listed with the later date now.

Now, I'm a bit of a digital hoarder and rarely delete anything. So I fired up YAM on my A1200 and found the emails between myself and the developers back in 2002. Apparently someone else was having the problem and it turned out to be damaged texture files for the asteroids. They sent out a fixed copy of the file, and it fixed the problem for them but not for me it seems. Instead, it looks like I simply renamed the three files:

asteroid01a.pcx
asteroid01b.pcx
asteroid01c.pcx

so the game didn't try to load them, and all was well, or at least, well enough to get past that point and play the rest of the game. I've attached the file they sent me anyway, just in case you wanted to try it? The three files are actually identical, so just copy and rename the file in the archive.
Interesting

Good to know that the "Freespace68k Beta 2.lha" file fixed this issue when Patrick tested though

Many thanks to jPV for that... and to all that assisted in thread
Old 30 March 2021, 08:29   #52
Patrickx1989

Yes, thanks a lot, guys! I'm at mission 10 now and no more problems. It's good that a solution was found, because there's another mission later with LOADS of asteroids that you have to blow up
Old 30 March 2021, 11:05   #53
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Yes, thanks a lot, guys! I'm at mission 10 now and no more problems. It's good that a solution was found, because there's another mission later with LOADS of asteroids that you have to blow up
Great news
Old 30 March 2021, 13:32   #54
DamienD
Banned

Just as an FYI:
"FreespaceUpd68k_1.lha" only updates the "Freespace.exe" file.

"Freespace68k Beta 2.lha" contains an updated "Freespace.exe" file and "ajoy.library".
So really you can skip applying "FreespaceUpd68k_1.lha", and just apply "Freespace68k Beta 2.lha" to have a working / bug free game
Old 30 March 2021, 14:11   #55
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I'm at mission 10 now and no more problems.
Seems there are 30 single-player missions in campaign mode

A shame that when I purchase this Hyperion they don't give links to a manual... I guess I can just use the one for the PC version.

Also, would be nice if they released the Mission Packs.
Old 31 March 2021, 11:41   #56
Daedalus

There was no manual with the physical release either unfortunately, though at least there was a reference card cheat sheet on the CD which I printed for the controls. Especially later on, having quick access to lots of different functions is important. The in-game tutorials and briefings seemed to be enough to get a good idea of the story and controls though - further training missions crop up later on IIRC, for dealing with the more complex aspects of the game.

As for the mission packs, I haven't tried them but it appears that someone has ported them: http://www.amigalien.de/freespace/mods.php

Bit of an aside, but I also played through Freespace 2 under OS4, and it's excellent as well very similar in gameplay with a couple of new features and some updates to the engine. It was open sourced - I wonder it it could be ported to OS3 at some point... The hardware requirements were higher but emulation should handle it no problem.
Old 31 March 2021, 12:11   #57
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
As for the mission packs, I haven't tried them but it appears that someone has ported them: http://www.amigalien.de/freespace/mods.php
Coolio, need to try these out
Old 31 March 2021, 14:47   #58
Zarnal

I just tested it in 68K + Voodoo 3 emulation.
It works but with the usual flickering seen in 68K games with or without JIT / V-sync (Payback for example). It can be reduced but not deleted.
Everything is OK in PPC or 68K full software mode.
Old 31 March 2021, 15:25   #59
Zarnal

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 31 March 2021, 15:53   #60
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I just tested it in 68K + Voodoo 3 emulation.
It works but with the usual flickering seen in 68K games with or without JIT / V-sync (Payback for example). It can be reduced but not deleted.
Everything is OK in PPC or 68K full software mode.
Quote:
[ Show youtube player ]
Damn, I wouldn't be able to stand that constant flickering

Last edited by DamienD; 31 March 2021 at 16:22. Reason: Fixed spelling mistakes...