English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 03 December 2006, 14:51   #41
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

broken it again!

seems all fine on the 68020 setup, the new 1 / 2 player import function working fine, along with the failed import restart.

on the 68000 however, attempting to import a save that doesnt exist, fails (flashes red) but doesnt restart

exception illegal instruction ($E010) at $F2D0 occured.

quite amusing seeing this pop up on the AMOS requester. (well it amused me anyway)

thanks for the 1 / 2 player save info, that'll come in handy if i do make a savegame-editor in this thing. as one of the few other people who has "been in there" , there's tonnes of questions i'd love to ask you about what goes on in the code... but wouldnt want to bore you any further.
Old 03 December 2006, 23:12   #42
girv
Mostly Harmless

No idea what's going on with that

2.00b9 avoids the restart and jumps back into the game code ... try that.
Old 04 December 2006, 19:59   #43
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

err.. this is even wierder! hehe

seems to happen on both winuae 68020 and pspuae 68000.

i loaded extended levels, hit F9 to import, fress "3" which isnt a bloodwych save.

it fails.

the menu reappears.

i hit F9 to import something else.... and the onely key which now works is the whdload-quit key.

now i cant import -any- saves, even after restarting the slave from scratch!

now -that- is confusing!
Old 04 December 2006, 23:24   #44
girv
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace
err.. this is even wierder! hehe
That is weird, it works fine on WinUAE 68040 here. I'll have to try some other configs or my A1200 I guess. It could be a missed interrupt thing I guess, I've run into that before.

Quote:
i hit F9 to import something else.... and the onely key which now works is the whdload-quit key.
The irony almost hurts We started with this lark as the quit key was the one that didn't work!
Old 10 December 2006, 22:53   #45
girv
Mostly Harmless

Sorry for the delay, it's been one of those weeks

2.00b11 in the Zone.

I couldn't reproduce the problem you're seeing, but I've seen similar keyboard weirdness before around the load/save time of a game and I've implemented the usual fixes for it. It might work!
Old 12 December 2006, 14:16   #46
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

sadly no joy this end.

i've only properly tested on the 68020 so far, but the extended levels slave does nothing for me on import now.

when using it, if it fails now, (no bloodsave file) it flashes red and goes back to the title screen, (and you can continue trying and failing) but it wont import any of my saves.... instead doing the "locking up" thing (and only being able to quit) there instead.

in hindsight i should have kept the beta which simply didnt work when there was no file to import!

i did try it out briefly on the 68040 setting of winuae, and it still didnt work. if you like i'll send you the files i'm using, although they should be the same as the HDF i sent you before. (but with the new slaves) - i'm confident it's not my winuae settings, as i've changed these around a fair bit, and the problem also occured previously on pspuae (although that remains untested for this slave)

good luck on reproducing it, and let me know if you need any more bits (files, uae settings etc) from me.
Old 13 December 2006, 01:06   #47
girv
Mostly Harmless

See what happens when you try to cram everything you wanted to do in a week into a few hours on Sunday evening?

Try 2.00b12 in the Zone...

Oh, you have registered WHDLoad haven't you ?
Old 13 December 2006, 04:11   #48
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

haha... Girv, cant you guess what slave made me register way-back in 1998?

i even had to get my older brother to buy it for me back then!

will be testing shortly
Old 13 December 2006, 10:27   #49
girv
Mostly Harmless

Well, good Otherwise, you'd find your ability to save games somewhat ... missing
Old 13 December 2006, 13:58   #50
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by girv
Well, good Otherwise, you'd find your ability to save games somewhat ... missing
a bit of a shame i'll be honest ... only in that it somewhat nullifys the usage of my GUI on PSPUAE by "the-casual-pspuae-user".... you can save savestates anyway to keep your game progress, but one of the main purposes was to make data-disk transfers easier. Also, so that you could save the game, pop back to the GUI, browse some maps etc and then pop back into your game

i guess unregistered users will have to miss those pleasures. (in which case, they might as well use the disk version, even -with- the dodgy save/load routine).... could unregistered users maybe still use the original routine? (if the correct tooltype is used, like with the 1.0 slave?) - as this would mean the GUI could still be used, but without the full speed and saveslot advantages created by the registered whdload? just a thought.

far be it for me to complain of course.... it still all works fine for me! (and i am the primary target audience after-all)

beta 12 seems to be working perfectly so far btw, no keyboard bugs or anything so far... thanks, as always.

i guess i ought to get to testing it on my a1200 and working out how i'm gonna fit the floppy->hd save converter into my GUI (if i can - i've never actually used rawdic on any other game!)

(pssst.... the readme is missing mentioning the "custom=" tooltype )
Old 14 December 2006, 16:24   #51
girv
Mostly Harmless

I forgot about your GUI project, sorry. What do you need the slave to do?
Old 14 December 2006, 18:03   #52
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

dont worry Girv, i cant expect you to work to all my wants / needs etc! (otherwise i'd start asking you how i can find the locations of objects in the game... )

anyway, as you know the original request was simply for the addition of quitting on a 68k machine...

this is because, what happens is the GUI loads, allows you to select either game, or the trainered version, or the map reader, then quit back to the GUI and into one of theose options again.

thankfully, the GUI then detects whether you've got a whd keyfile, and gives an appropriate splash-screen (with wait) if required, before proceeding... acting as the first advantage of registration!

Once in-game you play as normal, saving when needed. (this can be done with savestates on pspuae of course)... now, either you reach the end of the game, save it, exit, return to the GUI and then start Extended Levels and import your saveslot... or, you can return to the GUI mid-game, and view the maps (drawn from the game data).... eventually i am hoping the map-viewer will be able to read your position and monsters etc. from a saveslot if wanted, but it would not bother me if this function of the GUI was only possible with a registered WHD key.

so finally, in answer to your question (!!) the possible use of the original disk routine, OR simply allowing save-games on BW (but no load) and only Importing on B.EXT, would still allow the GUI to fulfil the main purposes (making datadisk transfers that much easier).... even *without* registration... (whilst retaining the splash-wait, and lack of full-functions - hopefully encouraging more registrations.)

anyway, the decisions with you... .as i said, the GUI will be able to do everything i want for me anyway with my registration!
Old 15 December 2006, 00:21   #53
girv
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
dont worry Girv, i cant expect you to work to all my wants / needs etc!
Yes, that's correct

Quote:
anyway, as you know the original request was simply for the addition of quitting on a 68k machine...
Ah yes, it was a much simpler time and we were all so very, very young...

Anyway, what if I enable save/load for both games but restrict unregged users to one game slot - does that work for you?
Old 15 December 2006, 00:56   #54
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by girv
Ah yes, it was a much simpler time and we were all so very, very young...
that'll learn ya to offer your services

Quote:
Anyway, what if I enable save/load for both games but restrict unregged users to one game slot - does that work for you?
perfect solution.
Old 17 December 2006, 02:28   #55
girv
Mostly Harmless

2.00b13 in the Zone.

Unregistered users can load and save just like registered users, but they will have a 10s delay after each load or save. It was going to be too complicated to restrict them to one save slot so I took the easy way out

So are we finally there?
Old 17 December 2006, 21:14   #56
BippyM
Global Moderator

Why not just disable loading/saving completely for unregistered users?
Old 18 December 2006, 10:05   #57
girv
Mostly Harmless

@bippym: see the message from Hungry Horace 14 December 2006, 17:03. One of his goals was to make a customised GUI for WHDLoad Bloodwych & Extended Levels, but totally disabling save / load would make the GUI pointless for unregistered users.

At least I think that's what the issue is!
Old 18 December 2006, 14:41   #58
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
Why not just disable loading/saving completely for unregistered users?
quiet you!!

will give this a proper burn tonight, been busy this weekend.... i'm sure it will be fine though Girv.
Old 18 December 2006, 19:23   #59
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
quiet you!!

will give this a proper burn tonight, been busy this weekend.... i'm sure it will be fine though Girv.
Register then ya tight wad!
Old 19 December 2006, 00:05   #60
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
Register then ya tight wad!
not very good at reading today are we bippy?

i've been registered since 1998 when the first Bloodwych slave was released

edit: tested, working fine on my standard 68020 setup, and quit seems fine on 68000 on winuae, so i assume it will be ok on pspuae, as it was in the last version. i will also test it on my a1200 030 if i can find my pcs zip drive...

i gave it a quick try without keyfile, and the load/save delay is nice and obvious, which is all very suitable.

thanks for your hard work Girv your name will go down in Bloodwych folklore... (hmmm... gives me an idea for an editted binary)

Last edited by Hungry Horace; 19 December 2006 at 02:49.