English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 31 January 2017, 00:24   #41
Harry
HD Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4p View Post

Beat the boss, but afterwards you have to escape and this part seems impossible:
I looked into the longplay, and this is about 40% of the level. In the longplay, the player flies somehow in the pauses of the beam through the narrow sections.

And theres a real boss at the end of the level.
Old 31 January 2017, 11:03   #42
john4p
Competition Moderator

Oh, okay - thanks for the info. Killed a guy sitting in front of a monitor which led to a huge explosion. Thought that was the "Fat Guy" because that was the last guy you kill in Rick Dangerous II 1/2 (which I've played through at the weekend). So there's a real boss, interesting.
Old 01 February 2017, 19:19   #43
john4p
Competition Moderator

Knowing this game pretty well now. Bombs are strong against the boss. Beating him is worth about 5k.

Then leaving the screen to see the ending is worth another 330k:

It was fun to learn all the levels and having beaten it feels rewarding. This game is a lot better than it appears at first. Really well designed.
Old 01 February 2017, 21:06   #44
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Old 01 February 2017, 21:30   #45
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Congrats on beating the game John4p

However, with so little time left I won't bother trying to better my score just to earn an extra Super League point or two.
Instead I will work on graphics for my own games...
Old 01 February 2017, 22:21   #46
john4p
Competition Moderator

Thanks Lonewolf! Sorry that you're discouraged. Although it's currently to my advantage I don't like our new league points system. With games that have such insane bonus scores like this one or Parasol Stars or Pinball Fantasies (Billion Dollar Gameshow) it becomes unfair. The effort for my 415k score really isn't that superior to Chris' and eMTe's efforts that it deserves this gap in league points. But I'm sure you've already discussed this problem thoroughly.

@Predseda:
Old 01 February 2017, 23:51   #47
capehorn

Very first go

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rick Dangerous II (1990)(Micro Style)[cr Angels - Genesis]_001.png
Views:	77
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	51890  
Old 02 February 2017, 10:56   #48
linesmachine

Quote:
Thanks Lonewolf! Sorry that you're discouraged. Although it's currently to my advantage I don't like our new league points system. With games that have such insane bonus scores like this one or Parasol Stars or Pinball Fantasies (Billion Dollar Gameshow) it becomes unfair. The effort for my 415k score really isn't that superior to Chris' and eMTe's efforts that it deserves this gap in league points. But I'm sure you've already discussed this problem thoroughly.

@Predseda:
The league points system was in play last season as well, in fact Lifeschool and I talked about it over at LA at one point.

I understand the positive aspects of a points-relative-to-score system; giving players impetus to increase their game score rather than them aiming for incremental banding of scoring.

However, like you it rankled with me on several occaisions. At LA it was a discussed a few years back, am guessing it had a mirror thread over here also... http://www.lemonamiga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11507
Old 02 February 2017, 11:37   #49
JanciB

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rick2_10680.png
Views:	68
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	51898  
Old 02 February 2017, 13:37   #50
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by linesmachine View Post
The league points system was in play last season as well, in fact Lifeschool and I talked about it over at LA at one point.

I understand the positive aspects of a points-relative-to-score system; giving players impetus to increase their game score rather than them aiming for incremental banding of scoring.

However, like you it rankled with me on several occaisions. At LA it was a discussed a few years back, am guessing it had a mirror thread over here also... http://www.lemonamiga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11507
Thanks for the link, I remember that poll. I like that everyone that submits a score gets at least 1 point now. But proportional is not ideal for extreme bonus scores which in some games may even be random. Still in the long run it probably doesn't make much difference as it all evens out.
Old 02 February 2017, 19:47   #51
Cpt. Hindsight

Imho, that's more a critical issue of the game and not the scoring system.
Old 02 February 2017, 20:12   #52
john4p
Competition Moderator

Yes, but there are plenty of games that have this issue.
Old 02 February 2017, 20:35   #53
linesmachine

For me it's a question of "are we playing against each other or the game?". If we are playing against each other, which I believe is the nature of the comp, then perhaps we should have a linear rather than proportional scoring system.

The argument against is best summed up by the Olympic decathlon and heptathlon events are scored.

I'm actually happy either way.
Old 02 February 2017, 21:37   #54
john4p
Competition Moderator

Good example, fully agreed. The original system was pretty much perfect. That one modified so that everyone posting a score still gets at least 1 point would be the most fair.
But with 17-18 played games in a season the scoring system probably won't make a huge difference.
Old 02 February 2017, 23:14   #55
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Quote:
I did voice my dislike to the new system after we started using it, but I believe the majority of users didn't agree with me at the time.

For the record, I have actually held back posting super high scores on the few games that I won Gold on, because I felt guilty that it would discourage other users from playing and annoy those that put in time to get scores that were pretty decent, but would have scored just 1 or 2 points if I had posted my super high score.
Old 02 February 2017, 23:44   #56
liviux76

The discussion about the scoring system is interesting but actually I don't know which would be better, linear or proportional.

It seems that I'm doing pretty well in this round but I'll take just "a few" point if I don't complete the game (even being third, at the moment).

Last edited by liviux76; 01 June 2017 at 15:13.
Old 03 February 2017, 08:58   #57
Cpt. Hindsight

I don't remember running into similar scoring problems in any game we played since the new system was established until now. I can think of a lot more than plenty games where it's more just than the old scoring system (i.e. racers or every other time based score).

Btw: It's not linear or proportional, it's a mixture of both.
Old 03 February 2017, 10:42   #58
john4p
Competition Moderator

Okay, looking forward to how just it'll be in the following rounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf10 View Post
For the record, I have actually held back posting super high scores on the few games that I won Gold on, because I felt guilty that it would discourage other users from playing and annoy those that put in time to get scores that were pretty decent, but would have scored just 1 or 2 points if I had posted my super high score.
That's really considerate of you, but the system shouldn't discourage anyone from posting his current best result.
Old 03 February 2017, 12:37   #59
linesmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Hindsight View Post
I don't remember running into similar scoring problems in any game we played since the new system was established until now. I can think of a lot more than plenty games where it's more just than the old scoring system (i.e. racers or every other time based score).

Btw: It's not linear or proportional, it's a mixture of both.
I don't want to distract the thread from RD2 so I'll make this my final post and crawl back to LA!

Cpt Hindsight you are of course correct, although I used these terms because they were originally thrown (carelessly and clumsily) about when all this was first discussed and although wrong people weirdly do understand it (proportional being where your points are proportional to your score, as opposed to linear where your points are linear against the order in which you are ranked against the opposition).

In general I'm content with the system, as it rewards both;
A) merely taking part
B) excellence
.... And on occaision I'm lucky enough to fall into both camps, but mostly the former!
Old 03 February 2017, 12:47   #60
mihcael
Zone Friend

Also note that the score system is 50/50 lineal and porportional.

The thing i disliked about the previous sytsem was that if you finished outside the top 12 you got zero points.