English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > Amiga websites reviews

Old 10 September 2002, 23:49   #41
oldpx

This is getting out of control. Please calm down people. Kodo, please don't post a harsh reply I'm telling you because it seems it's your turn

Old 11 September 2002, 00:03   #42
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Ok, where to begin...

@Sarek2K

Thanks for the tips, all advice is appreciated and thanks for the cool logo

@Jim
Thanks for the compliments Im glad you like my reviews. They take a lot of time to write and are the only part of the site thats 100% by me, and they are the purpose of the site.

@Kodoichi
Firstly, thanks for the link. As for my reviews, you are correct in saying that they could be copied from elsewhere, but they ARE all written by me personally. If you look around a bit, you will see identical word for word reviews of GODS and CADAVER on another site, but this is simply because I wrote them originally.
I can guarantee you wont find Speedball2 anywhere else because I only wrote it yesterday. You say 'what content?'. Well its a review site and so it has reviews It has only been up for less than a week, so sorry if its not up to your standard.
You also suggest that maybe I shouldnt have put my first site online. Well to be honest, I got quite a buzz from producing something that is online for all to see and thats why I did it.

I just want to clear something up....
This site is purely a testing area for me to learn a few things about how site creation works. When I feel I am able to move onto creating my own site from scratch, this site will be scrapped as I personally dont like using construction kits and never have.
I have found a good HTML tutorial to start with so I am slowly learning.

Thanks to everyone for their comments...keep em coming

EDIT:
@MrCreosote
Wow you prefer my site to Kodoichi's? His site is very nice and well designed, although I agree with you, content is king.
I have no opinion on Kodoichi's site though as I havent properly looked at it yet.

Last edited by Dastardly; 11 September 2002 at 00:09.
Old 11 September 2002, 00:51   #43
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
I just looked at Kodoichi's site very nice it is too really slick well done man better than mine if anyone cares to have a look

Maybe Dastardly would like a butchers at it, all the stuff i said to you is in practice here except it's not on brinkster a friend gave me some space on his domain/webspace.

as for Content being king well what is content? like your site is a review site. Kodoichi's site is more an arty site displaying his work etc if a picture is a thousand words as is said he would have quite a lot of text

anyway another logo for you this time speedball esque!

The Goal of a Website whatever shape or form, is to express yourself. The way you choose to achieve that is irrelivant, ie frontpage/macromedia/hotmetal or note pad this is only a means to an end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dast.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	3530  
Old 11 September 2002, 01:05   #44
Jim

Quote:
Originally posted by sarek2k
better than mine if anyone cares to have a look
Your site rox ! Very original. I like the link console, and the gallery - some cool pics - I know who to ask for logos

Quote:
The Goal of a Website whatever shape or form, is to express yourself. The way you choose to achieve that is irrelivant, ie frontpage/macromedia/hotmetal or note pad this is only a means to an end.
Exactly. What I was trying to say from Day #1.

Old 11 September 2002, 01:17   #45
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Your are the king of logos Sarek2K, Cheers mate, it looks ace!

V 1.2
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/dastardly0...dventure0.html

Just an about page added this time.....Chaos Engine coming soon.
Ive taken advice also and wont be using Jpegs.
Old 11 September 2002, 01:24   #46
Jim

Straight to the .

Make V1.3 now !

Change "These Pages" to "About me" / "About this site" or something.

I first thought These Pages was a link back to the content - it's a crap name to use.

Old 11 September 2002, 01:32   #47
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Agreed and done
Old 11 September 2002, 01:38   #48
Jim

Quote:
Originally posted by Dastardly
Agreed and done
That's better

That's what's it's all about Dastardly.

Try and pretend you are a complete moron - can you use the site ? If you can then you have a good usable design.

Slag Off Akira Time: I'm not intentionally slagging off Akira (although it is fun). Whilst I do think his site is cool, and he has spent a lot of time on it I am sometimes confused as to how it all links together. This is because he is using all those Flashy Washy things and stuff. Maybe it's just me, maybe I'm too old?

Dastardly: If you need some advice on how to pretend to be a moron then head over to Emu-UK and speak to Marz ! Or I'm sure there's plenty of peolpe on here who can help

Old 11 September 2002, 01:45   #49
BippyM
Global Moderator

what Marz is pretending
Old 11 September 2002, 01:51   #50
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Dast!

I find that Jpegs are ok it's the compression rate you set on them which makes them look bad i always use no less than 85% of original quality or 15% compression depending on art package you are using! a jpeg even without any compression will substantially lower the file size on it's own!

(if one of my own pics then 90% + will only do )

when i have ripped amiga pics i tended to find that gif was best format for them as it was 256 colours to start with and ends with!
also no scanlines or any other strange effects like opengl etc

Also if you are gonna use any size reduction set it back to 24bit first then it will size and scale without distortion. Finally if you do reduce an image and it looks a little blurred use a 40% sharpen that should do the trick.

other wise for clarity i find .png the best (i am not sure if all browsers support em can anyone clarify this?)

Recent example i am making a man utd site (no Jeers plz) it's called red or dead i havent done much on it yet and it's framed (i know what jim thinks of frames but i don't mind em )

as you can see the top frame is nice and clear the jpeg equivlent looks crap also the only button that works is email which is actually news anyway check it here

http://www.spitthedog.com/redordead/

Plz don't slag this site cause you don't like man utd (that would make you as bad as the tabloid press )

This site as yours is. is very work in progress
Old 11 September 2002, 01:55   #51
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

I really like your site. Although im a man utd fan also so Im biased.
Thanks for the pics tips aswell. Very handy info cheers.
Old 11 September 2002, 01:56   #52
Djay
95th User

Wayyyyy heyyyyyy... Chaos Engine review....

what u lot think of my site?????
Old 11 September 2002, 02:01   #53
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Ive been visiting your site even since before i found EAB. Its excellent and I love the new(ish) look.
Old 11 September 2002, 02:02   #54
Jim

Quote:
Originally posted by Djay
Wayyyyy heyyyyyy... Chaos Engine review....

what u lot think of my site?????
Rubbish !

All I get is this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rubbish.png
Views:	313
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	3532  

Old 11 September 2002, 02:30   #55
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

A

Does Dastardly´s site looks THAT bad? I think it looks nice enough, and it has good content and well written reviews (I wish I could write in english good reviews as good as those). I know there´s not MUCH content yet, but he´s only starting after all
If someone is looking for Bitmap Brothers info, they won´t need to look in a huge Amiga page, they can now find it in Dastardly´s page

I am one who usually says Front Page sux, but even I sometimes have used it, just to make things faster (Like that site with my all time favourite games) .

Hey Dastardly, I want to see a Chaos Engine 2 review!! We need at least one slag-off review in that site! (I always found them funnier)
Old 11 September 2002, 05:43   #56
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Oh yeah jim!

i forget to say in all the panic rush! surfpal is an end user program not as u put it some dodgy code

I find it an invaluble asset it stops 90% of popups in their tracks and i can't run without it

When u use a cjb redirect sometimes you get GATOR re-direct not all the time but enough to worry u as anyone knows this is one bad ass spyware shit program.

Anyway jim after that superfrog stuff you did i dunno why u don't have your own site it would rock as that was fantastic work you did just a pity the guy got beat down by Elite fucks that can appear round here!

of course he didn't help his own situation with the arse'es etc!
Old 11 September 2002, 05:53   #57
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim
Slag Off Akira Time:[...]Whilst I do think his site is cool, and he has spent a lot of time on it I am sometimes confused as to how it all links together. This is because he is using all those Flashy Washy things and stuff. Maybe it's just me, maybe I'm too old?
Everything is perfectly intentional. If you feel confused, it's OK, I wanted YOU to be confused.

Even though it's pretty damn simple, with 3 arrows and a text saying "drag and drop disks into the diskdrive" while blinking

I think you'll browse it better without that argentinian team shirt mate!
Old 11 September 2002, 08:25   #58
Jim

Quote:
Originally posted by sarek2k
Anyway jim after that superfrog stuff you did i dunno why u don't have your own site.
All I can say is stay tuned. It doesn't help that I accidently deleted all the work I had done !

But a certain board member has a copy of my files, and he'd better send them back !

Or else I'm gonna pay Bub The Zombie (with the kidneys of Superfrog & Marz) to come looking for him :kill

Old 11 September 2002, 08:28   #59
Jim

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira

Everything is perfectly intentional. If you feel confused, it's OK, I wanted YOU to be confused.

I think you'll browse it better without that argentinian team shirt mate!
Maybe. I think it's probably my hand/mouse control. Maybe I should cheat a bit and ask God if he can lend me a hand !

Snnnnnooooorrrrttttt

Yeah - nothing beats "The Real Thing". Didn't you wonder how I was on her 24/7 !!

Old 11 September 2002, 09:10   #60
Kodoichi
Banned

Location: I'm the smiling face on your TV, I exploit you still you love me
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim
But... there is not much content. I presume you did draw the graphics yourself, I mean they could have been stolen from anywhere
Indeed, I forgot to sign them

Anyway, I saw that it looks a bit weird in Mozilla and on Mac-browsers, so it's going to have a redesign with CSS-only O_o

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
*checks Akira's site*