English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 23 January 2020, 15:07   #41
sparhawk

On C64 one of my favourite games was "Impossible Mission". I still play it every now and then. I was looking forward to the Amiga version, because I figured it should be the same, but better. Really! I couldn't stand to play it, because all the smoothness was gone, and it felt just like some uninspired port, enough to get it complete.
Old 24 January 2020, 16:06   #42
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I have recently fallen out of love with pinball fantasies. I don’t know why and I hope I don’t get this feeling with all my other favourites.
I get that. Pinball Fantasies was fun at the time, but there are far better pinball games with more accurate physics.

The Party Land tune will forever be stuck in my brain though.
Old 24 January 2020, 19:32   #43
th4t1guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
problem with lemmings is that the creators became so good at it that they overlooked some levels difficulty. Exactly like Cannon Fodder. Not enough playtesters.
That's pretty much every Amiga game.
Old 07 February 2020, 16:21   #44
zak1981

Zak McKracken and the alien mindbenders!
Old 10 February 2020, 10:20   #45
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak1981 View Post
Zak McKracken and the alien mindbenders!
Its enough nostalgia for me that I'll play it, but I tend to zone out of it when you get to those annoying maze sections. That's really not a good way to stretch out your game.
Old 10 February 2020, 11:03   #46
DamienD
Banned

Yeah those maze sections are an absolute nightmare to navigate through
Old 11 February 2020, 13:28   #47
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I never completed that game... usually get lost in maze... should probably revisit it... preferably FM Towns version.
Old 11 February 2020, 14:02   #48
DamienD
Banned

Yes, if I was to ever play this again it would definitely be the superior FM-Towns version
Old 29 February 2020, 07:14   #49
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Any game that requires substantial effort, dedication or time.

Old 01 March 2020, 16:26   #50
robben74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzkat View Post
Any game that requires substantial effort, dedication or time.

I suspect it is not your choice... life happened to me too
Old 05 March 2020, 02:41   #51
xubidoo

All the Alien Breed series.

Back in the day i thought that they were pretty amazing, but these days i consider them to be poor - average at best.
WHY did they have respawning enemies? if they actually stayed dead, the games would be so much better.
Tower assault looks and sounds great even today, but its just to frustrating now for me to play.

The only AB game i occasionally have a go on now is Alien Breed 3D.

Used to think that Team 17 were one of the best Amiga developers back in the day, now playing most of their stuff again, now i consider them to be average at best really.

Sometimetimes the rose tinted specs really do get in the way

Old 05 March 2020, 09:58   #52
sparhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by xubidoo View Post
Used to think that Team 17 were one of the best Amiga developers back in the day, now playing most of their stuff again, now i consider them to be average at best really.

IMO that may be a bit unfair, because games have not only evolved in the things programmers learnt to be able to do, but also in the handling. So a game that was state of the art back then, may look pretty bad today.

In my experience, I have no problem with games I have a fond memory, even if it sometimes a bit awkward to get into it. for games I never played, it's different, because those don't have the benefit of nostalgia, which means that I see them with todays ees and that of course is unfair.

For example, I tried to play Deus Ex, because it got so high praise, but I simply can't get into it, because I never played it. I have no problem playing Doom though, because it was a great game I played thousands of hours. So even though it lacks a lot from todays point of view, it has this benefit of nostalgia for me.
Old 05 March 2020, 10:56   #53
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Deus Ex was always a rough game to get into, it starts out easy enough but if you don't get to grips with the AI and the way combat works then it can be a pain anyway. Plus it kind of throws you right into the middle of an already ungoing storyline and expects you to pay extremely careful attention to what people are saying around you to not be totally lost.

A piece of advice: watch a youtube video about the hong kong section of the game. Just experience the game when it is pretty much at its peak performance for me (and the voice acting is at it's worst but I think that is by design). Maybe it'll intrigue you enough to give the game another go and push yourself through the less interesting parts at the beginning. This game only really starts to open up once you have some upgrades under your belt.
Old 05 March 2020, 12:09   #54
Torti-the-Smurf

Pretty much all of those so called "Tripple A" Games of today.
There are a few exceptions here and there. I adore the "Indie Game Scene" and there games.
If not for the Indies i would my have stopped playing "new" games all together.
Old 05 March 2020, 13:11   #55
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by th4t1guy View Post
That's pretty much every Amiga game.
the difficulty of Cannon Fodder is really not high. All you need is a good mouse.

I had the game from fairlight back in the day, and it took me a week to complete (i was in highschool at the time) and no trainer.