English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 17 December 2007, 16:28   #41
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
edit: remind me to never make a joke at the expense of PC games on this board again.... some of you take it WAY to seriously and like a personal attack... which it so isnt. It's not as if i've ever called any of YOU ignorant for not sharing my opinion , but yet some of you are quick to call others such.
On the contrary, I didn't even notice your joke. I just noticed you said you dislike 'most' PC games. 'Most' suggests to me something in the order of about three quarters.

If you've played three quarters of all PC games, then I'm Luke Skywalker.

People's opinions aren't always ignorant, but when they say they dislike something to the order of magnitude that you have, it's difficult to see it as anything other than closed-minded ignorance.

People often argue out of respect too. If you'd said 'omgz modarn gamz are t3h suxx0r' I probably wouldn't have given your opinion a second look and just moved on.
Old 17 December 2007, 16:42   #42
pbareges

i was really the kind of guy thinking about the amiga as the ultimate and last fun gaming machine aver produced...when philosophing, thinking that this may only be nostalgia stuff...blablabla.....until i put my hands on the wii!!

it really has something new and fun with the spirit it has been conceived..wii sports was just an apetizer...for the hard platform gamers..try super mario galaxy a lot of fun to deal with...wii fit : a pure pleasure...it's been a lot of time since i did not feel that way..a real innovation in gameplay and fun...i know that hard ps,xbox gamers think this is pure shit, but really it is all about fun with friends and family as in amiga golden age!!! i'm not throwing my amiga away i still have a lot of fun with it but it's just refreshing to feel the same in an original way (not a nostalgic one)...PUT YOUR HANDS ON THIS!
Old 17 December 2007, 16:43   #43
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

@ Anubis:

the likes of Settlers 2 and Civ 2, i can certainly see and understand the appeal with, but i dont see them as being particualrly unique games, just follow ons from what has gone before, so they dont hold much sway in convincing me.

The continuation from there only lead to the watering-down of the Strategy genre for me.... It got way too "into itself" and in spite of my enjoyment of some of the earlier strategy games, managed to fling itself away from the aspects of it i enjoyed. However, it obviously suited a great number of other people.

Duke 3D i enjoyed on a school LAN connection many years back, (as i am vocal about, i do love my multiplayer games) but recentl plays show it has no genuine lasting interest for me, just like every other FPS (which you have to admit there are a LOT of on the PC, even if a joke cant be made at the expense of that)

@ PJ, if i have to go back and re-word everything perfectly for non mis-nterpretation every time, in order to avoid flippant responses, then i dont think i will bother posting.

I'm writing a forum post, not scientific documentation here.

of course im not claiming to have played "most" PC games.

so lets re-phrase to:

"I dont like most PC games... that i've played.... which is still a fair old number."

if you want to call me closed-minded, that's fine, but it's far from the truth, and i think you should think twice before brandishing such sweeping judgements of others, based on a few posts in a retro-forum.

anyway, it's only opinion, feel free to ignore it. I didnt ask for it to be triple analyised, and taken with quite such serious intent, as if it actually matters.

i just though i'd share a viewpoint regarding nostalgia, and how there are games from all eras and systems (even ones >i< dont like) which will remain appriciated for many years, well beyond the lifespan of those who played them when the games wer new and the gamers were young.

I thought that was quite an open thing to say, which might stop some of the scathing judgements being made, but look where it got me??

Last edited by Hungry Horace; 17 December 2007 at 16:48.
Old 17 December 2007, 17:21   #44
P-J

Quote:
so lets re-phrase to:

"I dont like most PC games... that i've played.... which is still a fair old number."

if you want to call me closed-minded, that's fine, but it's far from the truth, and i think you should think twice before brandishing such sweeping judgements of others, based on a few posts in a retro-forum.
Now you've re-phrased it there is no ambiguity. Now I understand.

If you won't write exactly what you mean how do you expect us to know? We should just guess?

You told Retro-Nerd to learn to understand a joke. Well, your sense of humour is obviously not very understandable. Having read back through the thread I can't see it either.

//edit:
Quote:
I dont particualrlylike FPSs, so that makes 95% of PC and Xbox games completely void to me for example.
Is that your 'joke'? My, oh my.

Last edited by P-J; 17 December 2007 at 17:27.
Old 17 December 2007, 17:29   #45
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

yes, its a common joke about the vast number of FPSs on the likes of PC and Xbox.

like calling a PS3 a blu-ray player, then calling an Xbox an FPS player.

i guess dry humour isnt to everyone's taste. i'm still gonna use it though.

btw, rather than "guessing", try just not interpretting everything "to the letter", and be more willing realise language is pretty flexible, rather than getting uptight about it.

btw, i dont mind you disagreeing with me or anything, but i do mind being called ignorant when my original post was only about demonstrating the value some games have, beyond what had been discussed (nostalgia mostly)
Old 17 December 2007, 17:31   #46
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
I dont particualrlylike FPSs, so that makes 95% of PC and Xbox games completely void to me for example.
I've told you a million times to stop exaggerating
Old 17 December 2007, 17:34   #47
P-J

Quote:
btw, rather than "guessing", try just not interpretting everything "to the letter", and be more willing realise language is pretty flexible, rather than getting uptight about it.
I appreciate that this might make the 'debate' take a turn for the worse, but please don't get high and mighty on how others use and interpret language when your spelling and grammar is, well, awful at best.

Oh, and it's neither funny nor a common joke.
Old 17 December 2007, 17:35   #48
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
I've told you a million times to stop exaggerating
at least someone gets it
Old 17 December 2007, 18:00   #49
Anubis
Retro Gamer

This topic is really going wrong direction all along.

So to answer mrbob2's question - NO, emulation is not coming to an end, actually emulation is gaining larger audience trough next gen consoles (virtual console for wii and arcade on x-box) and now almost complete emulator for most of old systems.

It is companies like amiga.inc and cloanto that are killing amiga retro0-scene, but it's surviving...
Old 17 December 2007, 18:04   #50
BippyM
Global Moderator

Ok I'm gonna intervene here with my thoughts!

Horace you simply didn't use the right language/use of smilies and his post was mis-interpreted by retro-nerd who was simply stating that 95% of pc games are not FPS!

Horace then took it as Retro having a pop at him and responded in an appropriate manner. This caused both Horace and retro-nerd to spit some dummies etc etc

PJ I understand where you are coming from, but after chatting to horace on IRC I gather he hates most of the PC games he has actually played/tried

I understand his post didn't reflect this, but it is a forum and not everyone can express their thoughts and feelings in a way everyone else can understand them!

It's a bit like when somone creates something and this person thinks it is the best thing since sliced bread, but anyone who see's it disagrees. The authoer/creator then takes offence!

This is the end of this 3way argument and I don't want to see another post on the subject.. Any issues PM me or the member privately!
Old 17 December 2007, 18:16   #51
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

No, emulation/retro gaming is not coming to an end.
Old 17 December 2007, 19:09   #52
spiff
Oh noes!

Yes it has.
In 2006 sony released the PS3 with its untapped CELL potiential. There will never be another processor fast enough to emulate the CELL except another CELL and all other systems before the PS3 can be emulated on it. Oh and the resolution will be much better thanks to the untapped blu-ray potential.

They just need to learn how to program on it in a proper way and not use the unreal III engine...
Old 17 December 2007, 19:19   #53
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff View Post
Yes it has.
In 2006 sony released the PS3 with its untapped CELL potiential. There will never be another processor fast enough to emulate the CELL except another CELL and all other systems before the PS3 can be emulated on it. Oh and the resolution will be much better thanks to the untapped blu-ray potential.

They just need to learn how to program on it in a proper way and not use the unreal III engine...
Hahaha,

any of that meant to be serious?
Old 17 December 2007, 19:54   #54
andrew_rollings

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff View Post
Yes it has.

You either work for Sony, or copied that verbatim from a Sony press release...

Andrew
Old 19 December 2007, 10:27   #55
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I'm much into transvestites and retards too, and I like to go looking for old drag queens, even drag queens that were buttslammed before my parent was born, so it is with potatoes, I like good old russets or baking potatoes (well the russet part I got from McDonalds) and discover root vegetables I never heard of.
I think people who will be interested in root vegetables, will search for the potatoes and discover the yam and other starchy stuff. Off course English Tuber Board 50 years from now might be something diff, maybe not as active, but you will find people talking about it. I hope Fred the Dcck never dies and will be on ETB forever. He is great great superior man.

We might live today and eat a chicken, but we will never forget our past bowlemovments

I completely understand.
Old 19 December 2007, 10:30   #56
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
On the contrary, I didn't even notice your joke. I just noticed you said you dislike 'most' PC games. 'Most' suggests to me something in the order of about three quarters.

If you've played three quarters of all PC games, then I'm Luke Skywalker.

People's opinions aren't always ignorant, but when they say they dislike something to the order of magnitude that you have, it's difficult to see it as anything other than closed-minded ignorance.

People often argue out of respect too. If you'd said 'omgz modarn gamz are t3h suxx0r' I probably wouldn't have given your opinion a second look and just moved on.
I agree with him to an extent, PJ.
It seems that PC games now, and Mac versions of said games, as well as current generation console games, are the same old shit again and again.
If I never see one box or screen shot of some gun pointing at some ridiculously formed alien or beast, I'll eat a Cadillac.
Old 19 December 2007, 10:42   #57
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck View Post
I agree with him to an extent, PJ.
It seems that PC games now, and Mac versions of said games, as well as current generation console games, are the same old shit again and again.
If I never see one box or screen shot of some gun pointing at some ridiculously formed alien or beast, I'll eat a Cadillac.
I disagree that they're the same old shit again and again. I think you're just forming an opinion based on the shit that breaks through to you via advertising and backhanders (see the Gamespot 'Kane & Lynch' controversy). I think that like music, there are plenty of original and fresh games it's just that they aren't the ones that are advertised.

Back when games weren't advertised in mainstream media so much, people tended to make their own more informed decisions.

Plus I still stand by my original opinion which is that yesterdays (Amiga) gamers are just getting old now...
Old 19 December 2007, 11:28   #58
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
I disagree that they're the same old shit again and again. I think you're just forming an opinion based on the shit that breaks through to you via advertising and backhanders (see the Gamespot 'Kane & Lynch' controversy). I think that like music, there are plenty of original and fresh games it's just that they aren't the ones that are advertised.
Ok, i would like to see what games these are?. You seem to be the man in the know, so seriously i "would" like to know Although its most likely going to mean an update of my Video Card again.

Quote:
Back when games weren't advertised in mainstream media so much, people tended to make their own more informed decisions.

Plus I still stand by my original opinion which is that yesterdays (Amiga) gamers are just getting old now...
I tend to agree and disagree. I got full on into PC gaming in 2000, and was loving the experience, with Games like Freespace 2, Deus Ex, Rune, Dark Reign 2, Hitman.. and a ton of other games, but then after something like 3 years, i noticed i was getting really really bored with the games coming out, because why?.. ummm .. well it was the same old shit, over and over again....

Its not like i stopped with PC games a long long time ago... I did find the occasional gem, such as Trackmania which gave the Arcade fun back into racing, and then there was Shot Online, the free online golfing game.. but honestly, there has not been much that really makes you say... I WOULD LOVE TO PLAY THAT!!..

I do check out "plenty" of new games on YouTube though.. and whenever i see the FPS games in action, i will sometimes post a comment in regards to the same old gameplay and you know what. I "rarely" get a response from anyone that goes against what i am saying.. MOST agree that its the same thing with prettier graphics over and over again, and the only way i have seem them try add any depth of gameplay to a game these days, is just by using stronger in game Physics, which of course will require a new video card powerful enough to handle DX10..etc..

Compare something like Deus Ex with its depth of story and character development, its plethora of options, non linear pathways.. etc.. to something like Crysis and its billion variants..

And even when i have now tried to make an attempt to get back into some PC gaming with Trackmania again, its still not good enough, because i need to like Windows as well hey ? Make the effort to have some more modern fun and what happens. !??..

Sure we are getting older, but one of the main reasons why i am not getting back full on into PC gaming, is not really because i don't want too!... its because i will need to buy a whole new rig to get any kind of real frame rate or detail from the latest games, even at the lowest settings and not to mention pipelines, pixel shaders and whether your card supports particular versions of them. I cannot afford a PS3 or an Xbox 360, because i just don't have that kind of cash floating about. So i will have the occasional retro game and perhaps a game of Trackmania that will still support my PC because it doesn't require the NASA control room to run it.

Anyway, thats just my take on it
Old 19 December 2007, 11:54   #59
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:

PJ, I don't think you can assume it's based on advertising. Some of it is, but it's so watching friends play, seeing boxes, being exposed to the shit.
The same goes for movies now. I can't watch the garbage that is produced out of Hollywood anymore. Some rare examples shine for me, the rest is filth.
I like old movie, old games, and old broads.
Old 19 December 2007, 12:04   #60
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
Although its most likely going to mean an update of my Video Card again.
Well, I can't deny that much