English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 21 December 2011, 04:56   #41
Mequa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kire_online View Post
Stick an XMOS in there while you're at it
I met Ali Dixon of XMOS last week, actually. He described the AmigaOS4.x-based machines with XMOS controller chips as, and I quote, "vapourware".
Old 21 December 2011, 10:13   #42
jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by imigger View Post
and ill say again lot of money for an emulator , since when does os4 run classsic real amigas games or apps natively ohh yea it runs an emulator lol ,dooh get real , os4 is great for what it is but its not an amiga its a real slow ppc so there you go thats the truth of it,
I hope I'm not contributing to getting too much off topic, but I sort of agree with this.
If OS4 is a complete rewrite of AmigaOS as AROS is too, if both run classic software on an emulation layer, then my nose points towards to AROS because I have a better chance of running it on commodity hardware.

OS4 and AROS are a kind of a double effort toward the same goal. If only the effort of developing OS4 was geared towards driver development for AROS and have it work on that spare PC we all have laying around ... (yes, wishful thinking).
Old 04 January 2012, 04:26   #43
Xenon

Any news about this netbook?
Old 09 January 2012, 23:17   #44
imigger
Banned

well if its anything like my asus 1 netbook ill be better of buying a p3 as i have a p3 laptop which is faster than my dual atom netbook , so how slow is this thing going to be snail pace?#

these people would be better off making a nice addon ppc board for a 1200 only faster than the old 1,s then i can buy os4 clasic that would be my cup of tea.
Old 10 January 2012, 19:53   #45
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by imigger View Post
these people would be better off making a nice addon ppc board for a 1200 only faster than the old 1,s then i can buy os4 clasic that would be my cup of tea.
Except, they aren't making this. Making new hardware is a totally different beast..

They are looking at putting OS4 on an existing produced netbook.

If you want a new PPC board for the 1200, you need to tell Jens. He's making the new accelerators.
He'll probably want a pre-order of a few thousand units to make it worthwhile... ;-)

desiv
Old 10 January 2012, 19:55   #46
diablothe2nd

I'd preorder a PPC with jens if it was high enough spec... at least an 060@50 and 200MHz ppc :P

instead though i'll save some dosh and get the netbook instead for OS4 stuff
Old 11 January 2012, 22:00   #47
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv
If you want a new PPC board for the 1200, you need to tell Jens. He's making the new accelerators.
He'll probably want a pre-order of a few thousand units to make it worthwhile... ;-)
Yes, I'm talking to myself..

Point of clarification, when I say Jens is making new accellerators, I don't mean PPC ones.
I mean 68k based...

Which is why I said he'd need a few thousand pre-orders (pre-paid, which he doesn't actually do) to consider a PPC design...

The whole point was that no one is making new PPC accelerators, and it's doubtful that anyone (even Jens) would invest in that...

desiv
Old 11 January 2012, 22:28   #48
gunni

Send a message via ICQ to gunni
damn... fooled again! thought there was news when this popped back up! lol