English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 12 January 2011, 19:57   #41
Dreedo

lol prob wont touch mine, although i dont use PSN much, except for one game, i've switched to Xbox now for my online stuff, so i'm not sure what i'll do, hopefully a way will come out that lets me have CFW and online, then i'll switch.
Old 12 January 2011, 20:27   #42
deicidal
Registered Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreedo View Post
Thats why Wii games suck, because its the easiest console to hack and Nintendo don't give a damn about people hacking it. Well that's my theory. :P
Could also be that the wii (basically a rehashed gamecube) hardware is very inferior compared to the ps3 and 360.

As for the Piracy thing, it has been rampant on the 360 for sometime as the silly billys made it so the 360 cant touch the drives firmware.
Old 12 January 2011, 20:37   #43
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by deicidal View Post
Could also be that the wii (basically a rehashed gamecube) hardware is very inferior compared to the ps3 and 360.
Being on an Amiga forum I would have expected better than what you've stated above. It's not always horsepower that makes the best games.

I gotta say that actually there are many many games on the Wii that are fun, you just have to sift through all the shit ones. Unfortunately because the Wii is easier to develop for and because the Wii is in more homes than the other two current generation consoles it's more attractive to release a game for by game developers.
Old 12 January 2011, 20:54   #44
deicidal
Registered Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
Being on an Amiga forum I would have expected better than what you've stated above. It's not always horsepower that makes the best games.
A very good point, which i should have stated myself but some horse power is always good.
Old 12 January 2011, 21:31   #45
Dreedo

Yeah a certain amount of Horsepower is needed, the Wii is decent enough, for a 6th gen console, but for a 7th gen it's far outclassed. I think the 360 and PS3 are actually a lot more powerful than anticipated.

Any news on how it went Bippy?
Old 12 January 2011, 21:35   #46
Ian
Global Moderator

Wii is the least attractive console for devs as it is by far the easiest console to hack and nintendo cannot do a damn thing about it if you do it.

That is why all the devs cannot get enough of move and kinect, finally they might make some money back from that spent coming up with ideas for full motion control games.

At least with the PS3 and xbox there is the chance you will get your console bricked if you try which means that very few will actually bother whereas with the wii everyone that knows about it will have done it without a care in the world.

As for the Wii having good games, 95% of them are made by Nintendo, there are very few games made by third parties that don't suck.
Old 12 January 2011, 21:38   #47
Dreedo

Yeah i mean when Nintendo send a mail informing you of a system update they actually say 'If you have modified your system in any manner, please do not update, as it may cause damage to your system', or something along those lines. They even try to protect those who hack it. :P
Old 12 January 2011, 22:09   #48
BippyM
Global Moderator

Didn't work. Ps3 is still dead
Old 13 January 2011, 00:55   #49
Dreedo

Ah damn shame.

Well the hackers seem confident that Sony will lose in court, so hopefully all goes well, that should mean all Sony could do to anyone is ban them from PSN. Which will no doubt be worked around.

The activity of the PS3 homebrew scene is quite amazing, considering how closed up it is.

Theres already a C64, a Vic-20, a SNES and a Genesis emulator. I believe there was also a PS1 emu a while back too.
Old 13 January 2011, 01:10   #50
BippyM
Global Moderator

I m not too bothered. Was kinda hoping the rsod could be fixed, but alas it is not to be. Guess i'll eBay it
Old 13 January 2011, 02:29   #51
Vairn
The Grim-Button

Had a look at the Homebrew SDK, it will be simple as to port my emulator over.
I Just need a Linux install, to develop it on.
I don't have a PS3 though
Old 13 January 2011, 11:14   #52
Dreedo

Mmmm Hermes and Failoverflow just released the latest GIT package for the PS3 development tools (despite taking them offline when they were initially sued), said they were trying to get them out onto the internet before they become potentially illegal.
Old 13 January 2011, 20:52   #53
Ian
Global Moderator

I think the hackers actually know they are fubar'ed actually.

But it matters not, the stuff is out there now.

Sony will just brick every console, which apparently they can do without people being online so the hackers next challenge will be finding the part of images that sends the "Break yo'selve mofo" message.
Old 13 January 2011, 21:27   #54
deicidal
Registered Insane

Am really not sure if they are, i still reckon it could go either way. I had a very quick glance through the sony evidence before and it seems dodgy to say the least.
Old 13 January 2011, 21:34   #55
BippyM
Global Moderator

I really don't see how Sony can legally brick a console, come on they cost well over £200 and if I didn't OWN it then it is rented/leased and should be covered under an unlimited warranty of sorts.

Consumer Rights and all that jiz
Old 13 January 2011, 21:43   #56
deicidal
Registered Insane

I seem to remember reading somewhere that there is something built into the ps3 as when they experimented with mod chips it sent the console to hell, also that the 360 has one as well (not including the RROD) but has never been used. Of course this could be all bullshit. And like you say bippym i am sure the legal consequences of pulling a move like that would not be good
Old 13 January 2011, 21:46   #57
BippyM
Global Moderator

Well if it is true my other PS3 has suffered this bullshit fate, and while updating to firmware 3.41

RSOD it is, though a repair shop reckons it is another side-effect of the YLOD. I fixed that myself, but don't know if it is worth the effort!!!

I paid £300 for each PS3, so I expect the, to work for a longer period than 18months...
Old 13 January 2011, 22:21   #58
deicidal
Registered Insane

Well I have gone through 3 360's which is a chuffing dirsgrace for quality, if microsoft think i am going to by another they can shove it up there shoddy goods hole
Old 13 January 2011, 22:33   #59
Dreedo

Well if your xbox had been bought within the past 3 years you could have just got it repaired for free under warranty, if it was an RROD.

Really 360 reliability is far superior to PS3, taking into account that MS actually deal with their problems and are cheaper anyway. Both of my friends have had their blu-ray drives break on their PS3's and guess what, £80 quotes from Sony to fix. And thats a disgrace.
Old 13 January 2011, 23:16   #60
Vairn
The Grim-Button

ok, My code compiles on the PS3 SDK, I just need to implement the Video Renderer, and controller emulation.