English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Modules

Old 16 August 2019, 11:48   #41
Axxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
xmplay also seems to apply this "trick" with mods in order to tag them just like normal audio files. title info holds a note on this matter:

changes will be lost upon closing xmplay unless the track is kept in playlist or library.

unfortunately it misses a massrenamer (at least i did not find one), otherwise this would be the perfect match in combination with delix/uade/xmp as backend for massrenaming (exotic) mods -- or until someone does a delix port for fb2k
Deliplayer added "a copy down" option for the Artist, pretty much like Excel allows you to do.

XMPlay Library is quite good for what it displays, but sadly no Artist info unless added manually.

But, like Hewitson says, it needs to be structured to start with. If you want everything in Artist folders, download Modland, most of the hard work already done for you. I still think it's pretty unwieldy having so many folders.

When I'm adding entries into my database in Excel, I use a plugin to grab the info in text which is easier to import into Excel. Once in Excel I'll have a column that contains the filename in "artist-name_modname.ext" format..

I'll then use these functions to split the filename into 3 other columns, and with Excel' copy down, it really doesn't take long at all to convert 100s or 1000s of entries.

=LEFT(A1,FIND("_",A1)-1) = artist
=MID(A1,FIND("_",A1,1)+1,FIND(".",A1,1)-FIND("_",A1,1)-1) = modname
=MID(A1,FIND(".",A1,1)+1,LEN(A1)) = extension

It's not very elegant and falls over in a number of areas, but manually editing a few is preferable to editing however many entries I'm adding every time.
Old 16 August 2019, 12:58   #42
Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
I had the same problem with MP3 ef I solved with a PC program that allows you to rename parts of the name, extension, lower case first letter file name etc..
yep, this comes in handy when enough info is present already -- will not help with crippled filenames and meta info within tags though. there you need to rely on masstagger/renamers to get the job done.

unfortunately this turns out to be tricky when dealing with mods (& needs a workaround like the apev2 database in foo_dumb), due to a missing standard id tag, as said before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxy
XMPlay Library is quite good for what it displays, but sadly no Artist info unless added manually.
ok i see, i have not tested, so it was just a guess. thank you axxy.

perhaps i start all over from scratch with modland, but for now, i think i'll keep my focus on tracks i have a crush on and keep renaming them properly. my nostalgic collection so to say, haha. no worries
Old 16 August 2019, 13:38   #43
Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by tero View Post
A test version will come at some point. There are some things i want finish first. But a beta version is planned in a few weeks. (No promises as time is factor here)

sure, take your time, no need to rush things.
Old 16 August 2019, 15:19   #44
Axxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
ok i see, i have not tested, so it was just a guess. thank you axxy.

perhaps i start all over from scratch with modland, but for now, i think i'll keep my focus on tracks i have a crush on and keep renaming them properly. my nostalgic collection so to say, haha. no worries
I just had a quick look at XMPlay and I don't think you can edit the Artist name in the Library window. I suppose modinfo metadata not so easy as mp3 metadata to extract. There might be some actual way to edit the playlist itself outside of xmplay in a text editor or something.

I just noticed that my xmplay playlist displays the full path\filename, so maybe possible to make some script that possibly populates the Artist column with the folder names or filenames while editing a playlist?
Old 16 August 2019, 16:35   #45
Nova

ok, i am not so familiar with xmplay, perhaps someone who is more experienced with it can jump in?

i use it for mod conversion primarily, fb2k was my playground, more or less to say, and sometimes still is (wine).
Old 25 August 2019, 10:28   #46
Nova

there exists a further quite exciting fb plugin called external tags, which:

Quote:
Adds tagging support for non-taggable file formats. The tags can be stored in SQLite database or written as external files to the same directory as the target audio files.
so basically, any format can be tagged with the help of it (no binding to foo_dumb only, anymore)

i also found a kind of related post over at modarchive.

a datfile seems like a good solution to clean up a certain set of mods -- sort out dupes with the help of checksums and rebuild your collection properly -- as long as there is enough information avaiable...

Last edited by Nova; 25 August 2019 at 14:36.
Old 25 August 2019, 16:10   #47
tero

I like the idea to use datfiles. The biggest problem is that someone has to gather all information and put it together.
Old 25 August 2019, 16:58   #48
Nova

indeed, after having tagged and renamed mods, this could be the next (big) step. i am not very much into databases and all that stuff, but the external tag sqlite db could probably be used for creating that datfile?

the big pro that goes with a datfile, it is kind of universal due to checksums and not bound to only one mod collection or naming scheme, mods will get kind of unique then.
Old 26 August 2019, 01:57   #49
tero

I haven't done anything with sqlite but if the database can be exported to cvs turning the data into a datfile is definitly possible.

EDIT: As you mentioned modland i'm downloading the collection now. If it'll help I can write a small program that turns that into a datfile. (this won't take long).
How would you prefer to name the files?

EDIT2: the index file doesn't have md5/sha checksums. not sure i want to download everything

Last edited by tero; 26 August 2019 at 04:29.