English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 16 June 2024, 21:53   #41
CCCP alert

Getting the(-)ve from batteries was the issue for me, fact it's working from batteries for 3 hours alone is deserving of a round of applause.

Acorn and Atari both did a proper laptop, the STbook is stuck with mono screen only mind. I think Commodore did a 486 notebook? Odd there was never an Amiga one.
Old 16 June 2024, 22:48   #42
Calabazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP alert View Post

Acorn and Atari both did a proper laptop, the STbook is stuck with mono screen only mind. I think Commodore did a 486 notebook? Odd there was never an Amiga one.
I can't imagine the very high price for such a thing, and the problem of marketing it.
Not for the teenager playing pirated free games.
Not for the professional user who wanted expansion cards related to his stuff or softwares related to other platforms.

It was just impossible until Rodrik made it, no more teenager, now probably professional using Mac/PC, but with a lot of passion, freetime and no limit money
Old 17 June 2024, 08:31   #43
Ridrok

Quote:
Getting the(-)ve from batteries was the issue for me
I did build the power circuit of the AmigaBook like this. I also added 3 capacitors between the 12V converter and the PicoATX to filter the noisy converter.

Quote:
fact it's working from batteries for 3 hours alone is deserving of a round of applause.
Thank you. It's also the fact I use only a Furia for it's best compatibility with whdload.For the 8 18650 batteries I used the ones I salvaged from old PC laptops. I took the best ones (Samsung and NCR).
Old 19 June 2024, 02:45   #44
CCCP alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabazam View Post
I can't imagine the very high price for such a thing, and the problem of marketing it.
Not for the teenager playing pirated free games.
Not for the professional user who wanted expansion cards related to his stuff or softwares related to other platforms.

It was just impossible until Rodrik made it, no more teenager, now probably professional using Mac/PC, but with a lot of passion, freetime and no limit money
The STbook was great for travelling musicians.

Most Wintel laptops were given to engineers in the early-mid 90s and one guy from corporate had Toshiba Libretto where I worked. Different market.

An 8mb capable Amiga would have been great for artists using desktop video in the corporate media.

Laptop versions of machines were more about brand cachet than profit, a bit like what Cosworth did for Ford or M division for BMW. Of course the hideous Stacy and PPC1512 made Atari/Amstrad brand image worse IMO lol
Old 19 June 2024, 02:52   #45
CCCP alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridrok View Post
I did build the power circuit of the AmigaBook like this. I also added 3 capacitors between the 12V converter and the PicoATX to filter the noisy converter.

Thank you. It's also the fact I use only a Furia for it's best compatibility with whdload.For the 8 18650 batteries I used the ones I salvaged from old PC laptops. I took the best ones (Samsung and NCR).
Great job like I said. I'm good enough to fix laptops but not make desktop mobos portable.

lol I did make a ZX Spectrum and C64 laptop out of some spare 100mhz Librettos I got for peanuts (£2.50 each) from Unichem chemists but they are just booting into DOS emulators. Plastikote grey-beige paint is a close match to 64 breadbin colour and the keyboard feels like the Spectrum +2
Old 23 June 2024, 21:55   #46
Megalomaniac

Travelling musicians were an obvious market for the STBook, and the fact that it was monochrome only (with a few other limitations) probably didn't bother them wildly, unless they were hoping to take Dungeon Master with them on tour without their bandmates finding out. Likewise it was probably suited to word processing and DTP, areas where the ST was at least a match for the Amiga, and probably against the PCs of the time. The Amiga's main creative uses needed the fancy custom chips and certainly full colour and a properly backlit screen, and ideally sound hardware too, so manufacturing it within even 1994 technology might've been a bridge too far.