English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 21 May 2020, 19:27   #41
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf View Post
But in defense of Gemini: for a cluster of 030s @25MHz ZorroIII is not that bad (even if it needs to multiplex address and data), especially if every CPU has it own memory.
Yep, the rendering farm example was mentioned in this thread I think.

But I think we've reached the conclusion that a reborn Gemini will not be very useful for the current AmigaOS or any of the existing software base. Probably not the project we're looking for.

We currently have four or five active Amiga platform forks depending on the point of view (counting classic 68k as a fork, even though it is the parent :-). That's ample choice when looking for which platform to commit to and develop sw/hw for. Forking it once more is not a wise idea.
Old 21 May 2020, 20:08   #42
Gorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Yep, the rendering farm example was mentioned in this thread I think.

But I think we've reached the conclusion that a reborn Gemini will not be very useful for the current AmigaOS or any of the existing software base. Probably not the project we're looking for.
For the existing software base a 68080 ASIC @ 1GHz would be certainly sufficient - for most games it would be too fast and one would run it in turtle mode ...

For the future? Most things could be done with a decent web browser - whole office packages do run in a browser ... after all Google was not so wrong with the Chromebook.

But that would need more CPU power and support for multicore....

The question is: what is the goal? what do we want?
A retro platform? For that most existing FPGA solutions are enough

A system one can use every day for all purposes?
I would love to be able to have an Amiga-like system (again!), that does that for me - my A3000 did this for over a whole decade (90s).
Old 21 May 2020, 21:44   #43
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by jope View Post
<sniiiiiip>forking it once more is not a wise idea.
Old 13 June 2020, 04:37   #44
PurpleMelbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf View Post
I would love to be able to have an Amiga-like system (again!), that does that for me - my A3000 did this for over a whole decade (90s).
Currently the AmigaOS exec does not support such a system, but that can be changed. It seems the developers are not keen to spend their development time on non existent hardware. Kind of makes sense!

Obviously when we change the Chicken or the Egg question to which comes first? The Hardware or the Software? The answer must be the hardware.

What I imagine is that if the hardware is created, then the developers might spend time trying to figure out how to solve the problem. But until the hardware does exist, they will wisely spend their time on things that actually do exist.

So what is the hardware destination? And what are the problems between here and there which need to be solved?