English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 27 July 2003, 14:37   #41
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Actually Rattus me gal, im beginning to theorise that its due to the sound problems. When you dont have the toccata.library installed, it then asks you for a physical location to place the sound output.

I had previously put this in the ram. Now...im guessing that basically the sound files ate up all my RAM and then it was that that froze the game.

Because when i chose a HD location instead , i got two MASSIVE files called L and R on my hard drive. That and it caused a checksum error on my Amiga HD which i am now trying to repair with DiskSalv...

I ought to harrass the ports author....
Old 27 July 2003, 15:54   #42
Echo

Quote:
Originally posted by Antiriad
It also moaned upon startup about a missing toccata.library which i proceeded to download from Aminet, but then the game crashed instead!
You have AHI installed right? That retargable audio thing. It's required for this port.
Old 27 July 2003, 17:45   #43
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Got this reply: "Sorry, the ahi-code isn't finished yet. As a temporary fix, please remove anything from Devs:Ahi except paula.audio and reboot, than it should work.

Regards
dante/oxyron"

My hds gone tits up now too, thanks goodness i backed it up on CD a while ago
Old 27 July 2003, 17:54   #44
th4t1guy

Quote:
The sound works perfectly on my dos version!
It helps that I have a SB Live card which emulates AWE64 really well, I just set the sound effects to AWE64 and music to GENERAL MIDI and it all works faultlessly!
You got DOS sound emulation to work in WinXP with an SB Live? I was under the impression that using VDMSound was the only way to do that.
Old 27 July 2003, 19:08   #45
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Quote:
Originally posted by th4t1guy
You got DOS sound emulation to work in WinXP with an SB Live? I was under the impression that using VDMSound was the only way to do that.
It all works fine! :eek
Old 28 July 2003, 00:37   #46
th4t1guy

Is there a tutorial on how to do this out somewhere? I know the people working on these win32 ports and mods like Transfusion would sure like to know how to do this!
Old 28 July 2003, 00:40   #47
FromWithin
Music lord

Quote:
Originally posted by th4t1guy
Is there a tutorial on how to do this out somewhere? I know the people working on these win32 ports and mods like Transfusion would sure like to know how to do this!
Can't they just write a new soundsystem?
Old 28 July 2003, 02:39   #48
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Originally posted by Toni Wilen
Quote:
68040 won't work since there's no FPU emulation
huh? 68040 supports FPU. I was also expecting higher frame rate.
Toni, I'm almost sure now why Echo makes this hypothesis that there's no FPU emulation in the 68040.
There is...but it's a fact that Motorola has *removed* lots and lots of FPU commands from the CPU hardware, above all the trigonometric instructions, essential for most (modern) demos!
Therefore you need the 680x0.library family to emulate these instructions.

The best program for 68040/60 Amiga users to replace those lame libraries is OxyPatcher! (afaik still sold, you may also want to check out this old review)

Quote:
Finally the 68LC040 is a 68040 without FPU. See FPU.
One separates three FPU types on the Amiga: The 68881, 68882 and the 68040's internal FPU. The 68882 is up to 1.5 times faster than the 68881, because it is splitted in two parts: A conversion unit (the FPU's are using an 80 bit format internally) and the arithmetic unit.
The 68040's internal FPU adds a pipeline, but misses the trigonometric instructions of the others. These are still emulated by the software, 68040.library for example.
(taken from: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/amiga/introduction/part1/)

Last edited by andreas; 28 July 2003 at 02:52.
Old 28 July 2003, 10:17   #49
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

I bought OxyPatcher when I bought my 040 so I still have the original disk if anyone needs a copy of it for their real Amiga.
Old 28 July 2003, 19:36   #50
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Well, im beginning to give up on this for now. When it loads it just doesnt run. The menu comes up and it gets stuck.

I might try it again with the PC files provided on a link earlier in this thread but i doubt it'll make any difference whatsoever
Old 28 July 2003, 19:57   #51
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Red face

I've tried it with those CON files I got from this thread. It loads ok and asks for a place to store the audio files. It then loads the intro fine and comes up with a Suspend/Reboot requester. If I click on Suspend it continues loading. Bizarre. Then I get into the main menu and it runs super smoothly albeit with no sound output. If I select New Game and try to load one of the levels it then just freezes forcing me to reboot. I wonder if this toccata.library will fix this problem. I have Picasso 96 and AHI installed so why the hell doesn't the sound work. I'll check now to see if I have this library installed...
Old 28 July 2003, 19:57   #52
FromWithin
Music lord

Quote:
Originally posted by andreas
The best program for 68040/60 Amiga users to replace those lame libraries is OxyPatcher!
Or you can use MuRedox from Aminet.
Old 28 July 2003, 20:11   #53
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
I've tried it with those CON files I got from this thread. It loads ok and asks for a place to store the audio files. It then loads the intro fine and comes up with a Suspend/Reboot requester. If I click on Suspend it continues loading. Bizarre. Then I get into the main menu and it runs super smoothly albeit with no sound output. If I select New Game and try to load one of the levels it then just freezes forcing me to reboot. I wonder if this toccata.library will fix this problem. I have Picasso 96 and AHI installed so why the hell doesn't the sound work. I'll check now to see if I have this library installed...
Author said remove anything from Devs:Ahi except paula.audio than it should work. This fixed my sound problem alright, in fact altho the gfx were stuck , the sound was carrying on...
Old 28 July 2003, 20:22   #54
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Angry What a pile 'o' shite!

Quote:
Originally posted by Antiriad
Author said remove anything from Devs:Ahi except paula.audio than it should work. This fixed my sound problem alright, in fact altho the gfx were stuck , the sound was carrying on...
I'm not sure if I should risk it. It seems like a piss poor port to me. I added that toccata.library and it still asked for the audio file. It then brought up the suspend/reboot error box and proceeded in an attempt to destroy my hard drive like it did yours. I halted it after a couple of minutes and found that it had created a 212MB audio file. What the fucking hell is that about. What a pile of shite this port is. I don't think I'm going to risk running it again. Deleting everything but paula.audio from the AHI directory??? WTF?? Fuck it! What a crock of shit.

I can run Doom 1 and 2 perfectly with no problems...
Old 28 July 2003, 20:43   #55
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Hear hear...i wont be trying it till a new release shows up - and even then ill run it from CD.
Old 29 July 2003, 17:38   #56
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by rattus
[B]It probably was Turrican, they just changed the title for the MD release

I always found Katakis/Denaris a funny game. I imagine the developers saying "hey, since we love R-Type so much lets code ourselves a rip-off!" maybe IREM were so impressed they let them do the official port later on
@Rattus. I don't know if "impressed" is exactly the right word but you're almost right. Activision had the rights to convert R-type & started threatening legal action against a few horizontal-scroller shoot-em-ups around that time-period,(Katakis,& C64 Armalyte), claiming they infringed on their rights to R-type. As a consequence of a legal settlement between Factor 5 & Activision Factor 5 ended up doing the conversions,(Manfred Trenz ironically coding C64 R-type, though not as good as his C64 Katakis due to a tight programming deadline imposed by Activision.).
Eventually Katakis was released as Denaris- according to an old Manfred Trenz interview,(in Zzap 64/Amiga), the Amiga version of Denaris was somewhat changed from Katakis but the C64 version of Denaris was very similar to Katakis).

I'd post some interesting info from a C64 site called "Games that weren't" but it's "under construction" pending a relaunch at present, they had an interesting interview with Manfred Trenz.
Old 10 June 2006, 10:34   #57
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Did anyone get a happy result with this game?

Can anyone share it ?
Old 10 June 2006, 12:11   #58
keropi

It run fine on my amiga...
can't remember if it was a wos or 68k version... but it was playable, 30+ fps...
Old 10 June 2006, 12:23   #59
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Quote:
Originally Posted by keropi
It run fine on my amiga...
can't remember if it was a wos or 68k version... but it was playable, 30+ fps...
Can you remember where you got it from?
Old 10 June 2006, 12:39   #60
blade002
Zone Friend

Oh this game!.. memories from when i used to work for a computer company in the mid to late 90's. a group of the guys i worked with were playing it networked against eachother in the Service Tech department of the company on a Saturday morning when suddenly one of them yelled out F#@K really loud when he got fragged!. An old lady waiting to have her computer serviced that morning heard him say it!. she complained on the Monday and he LOST HIS JOB that Monday!..

What a bitch hey!. it was just a spontaneous reaction from him... oh well, i made sure i was careful around customers myself after that happened... lol.