English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 08 February 2006, 22:21   #41
demoniac

Ironclaw -- Kind of going slightly off-topic, but how much compatibility issues have you had w/ CD32 emulation?
Old 08 February 2006, 23:37   #42
Ironclaw
Banned

No problems at all with cd32 game emulation, none that I can remember anyway... All cd32 games I've tried, that works and are not a bad dump, works perfectly.

All smooth and nice, standard floppy games or C32, doesn't matter, runs perfectly with WinUAE and my laptop.

Only thing I miss is being able to record the sound track to the CDs while recording a movie. At the moment when recording a CD game with audio track, everything BUT the tracks is recorded...
Old 09 February 2006, 01:35   #43
demoniac

There are some discussions on CD32 Defender of the Crown II problems at
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=20839 . Perhaps you can address some of them. Thanks.
Old 14 February 2006, 17:47   #44
Zenon66

on Winuae
on my p3 2.8 A1200 runs at 100%.. why ?

Old 16 February 2006, 17:49   #45
Fackamato

Send a message via MSN to Fackamato
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenon66
on Winuae
on my p3 2.8 A1200 runs at 100%.. why ?
To give a smooth emulation of course. Mess with the CPU idle slider until you find a good mix between cpu usage and WinUAE FPS.
Old 17 February 2006, 05:02   #46
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Speaking as an emulator programmer, the performance of WinUAE is not bad considering how much work it has to do. Good enough that I wrote an emulator to run within UAE :-)

IIRC Fellow is faster due to being written in assembler and having less compatibility. Whereas UAE is written in C for portability.

I must say that since Toni took over the project it has been progressing well. Whereas back in the Dark Ages of Brian King things were getting worse and worse with each release he did :-(

I don't think it would be a good idea to drop Windows 98 support however. It's not going to make the emu run significantly better and will mean many people missing out. ME/2000/NT/XP sux ass :-) First thing I did when I bought this computer was wipe XP off it and put 98SE on instead, never regretted it.

I have noticed one annoying WinUAE bug though - whenever I Alt-Tab to another window, about a second or two later WinUAE changes the current application (back to itself if there are only two apps, or cycling to the next app if there are three or more). Absolutely maddening.
Old 17 February 2006, 06:10   #47
Damage

hmm i aint a very talkative person when it come to posting in forums but after reading this thread i have a couple things to say

1. Toni wilen is doing an excellent job, winuae it curtainly wouldnt be what it is today without his efforts as already stated in the reply before this one.

2. reading this thread and many others in this forum just makes me realize what an awesome computer the amiga really is, to think that a 1000mhz computer cant emulate a 14mhz amiga to perfection really makes the mind boggle. but needless to say winuae is nearly there if not already and in many cases winuae is better than the real thing .

3. Winfellow is an excellent emulator as well if you are planning on playing a500 games that is.

whats the story with winfellow is it still being developed
Old 21 February 2006, 02:10   #48
fmcpma
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous
I must say that since Toni took over the project it has been progressing well. Whereas back in the Dark Ages of Brian King things were getting worse and worse with each release he did :-(

I don't think it would be a good idea to drop Windows 98 support however. It's not going to make the emu run significantly better and will mean many people missing out. ME/2000/NT/XP sux ass :-) First thing I did when I bought this computer was wipe XP off it and put 98SE on instead, never regretted it.
You are an asshole and no mistake. What need is there to put down the work of Brian King? He kept the project alive and moving onwards for a long time at the expense of his personal life and for free. Maybe you do not know, but he is responsible for all the Picasso work. Puting down the work of other people is surely a sign of assholyness or of being a child.

Why else would someone prefer 9x to XP?
Old 21 February 2006, 06:42   #49
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmcpma
You are an asshole and no mistake. What need is there to put down the work of Brian King? He kept the project alive and moving onwards for a long time at the expense of his personal life and for free. Maybe you do not know, but he is responsible for all the Picasso work. Puting down the work of other people is surely a sign of assholyness or of being a child.

Nice to hear from you Brian :-) You're a fuckwit and no mistake.

"Moving onwards"? more like backwards...bug counts were increasing at an alarming rate during the time he worked on it, not to mention the speed getting slower and slower.

As to 9x vs XP, let's see, for me at least 9x is faster, smaller, and more compatible, better DOS support, etc. Especially for retrogamers there really is no comparison. Obviously you are quite gullible to accept everything Gates says at face value. Yep, I must be an arsehole to use 98, makes sense???! not....must be a lot of arseholes out there then...
Old 21 February 2006, 12:30   #50
Paul
RIP Friends

Please don't turn this thread into a flame war!
Old 21 February 2006, 22:29   #51
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

For DOS-gamers.... there's something called "VMWare" out there... you can install whatever commercially available virus on them, to run DOS games or whatever you want. Great for Linux AND WinXP users alike. Now, have we sorted that problem out? Yes? Thank you.

Next.

I didn't really "know" Brian King's WinUAE..... I had 0.8.15, but then the JIT version came out shortly after (which I believe was the first of Toni's?) and has used that ever since.

Now... WinUAE is good... it's REALLY good. But I prefer to use my real Amiga forgames, while I can very well use the WinUAE's Picasso-enabled screens for workrelated stuff. Like DTP, PPaint, and that sort of stuff.

And the added CPU power of a tweaked-up WinUAE is great. But not really needed for most games (IE, before the FPS crap came along). besides, no matter what I do, I keep getting slight glitches in the graphics when playing games on UAE...... which I don't get on the A1200.

My point is.... know what you'll be using the product for.
Old 22 February 2006, 14:03   #52
spajdr
Old fart

Send a message via ICQ to spajdr
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmcpma

Why be so offensive on him? he didnt personally attack him in some really bad way, i got same feeling when testing his releases when Brian work on projects and i couldnt tell it better, i reported some games that didnt work and never ever got any replies if he work on it, it worked last release, but didnt worked on new release (probably was busy, i understand that). Toni is doing excellent job
Old 22 February 2006, 14:56   #53
BippyM
Global Moderator

this thread WILL NOT become a flaming battleground, I don't want to have to lock it or issue any warnings...

Brian King did his job.. he was never paid and he made winuae what it was back then.. Since Toni has taken over and done a fantastic job in improving and maintaining winuae.. lets please have respect for all the people that have worked on uae and its various incarnations..

If you can do it better than any of these guys please feel free to show prove it.. otherwise stop being so critical and get on with enjoying your amiga moments.
Old 22 February 2006, 16:32   #54
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Create separate thread (+better title) if you want to report bugs or have other questions. You will have >0.1% probability for answer, thanks