English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 12 April 2014, 18:37   #41
john1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
The site says 'Will be right back soon...' If it wasn't coming back they wouldn't write that right?
They didn't write it, that's the stock page for a suspended account on poundhost. Kim never wrote those words.

Quote:
Other rumours are that Kim is moving to new servers. Like I mentioned on my previous first post on this thread, these things take time, there's no need to panic and create a new forum until you know more details imo.
I love Lemon 64 as much as the next C64 fan but I think you are overeacting to the situation and need to just sit tight and be patient.
I didn't create the new forum But kudos to the guy who did, it's nice that someone has done that. No-one is panicking, no-one is overreacting. I'm sure lemon will be back, but it's good to be pro-active on these things.
Old 12 April 2014, 19:40   #42
DH
Global Moderator

Would be good if the actual owner of Lemon64 actually dropped by and stopped all the speculation.

Rumours are, which others have said previously, Lemon64 + sub domains, are moving to another new server, now I'll gladly believe that, so I'm prepared to sit tight and wait and see.

Unless Kim actually posts some positive and correct news regarding the site on here, or anywhere else for that matter, I think all speculation should be taken with a pinch of salt.

I must admit, so what if someone created a new forum for the C64, they obviously missed the Lemon forums and wanted to get something back up to fill the gap, no harm in that tbh

Last edited by DH; 12 April 2014 at 19:59.
Old 12 April 2014, 20:32   #43
mrbob2

Iv just looked on lemon amigas facebook page and read this

"Just in case anyone hasn't heard, the Lemon sites are apparently down due to Kim deciding to change the sites' host... so they will be back, it's just a question of when not if "

soooo.. its a case of when
Old 12 April 2014, 20:45   #44
john1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob2 View Post
"Just in case anyone hasn't heard, the Lemon sites are apparently down due to Kim deciding to change the sites' host... so they will be back, it's just a question of when not if "

soooo.. its a case of when
Maybe. All the rumours about a host change are based on two conversations site admins have had with Kim over a week ago. Apart from that, Kim has not laid anything definite on the table.

So all bets are off. Like DH says we don't know anything until Kim actually drops in somewhere to offer some concrete information, or the sites pop back in to existence.

Kim dropped out of having anything to do with the lemon sites some time ago, I suppose just naturally losing interest and having a different life. This is why I am unsurprised the sites haven't come back yet. A host change is a fair bit of work, but it doesn't take weeks to do. If Kim doesn't have the interest anymore, things will take a long time as it is no longer a priority for him.

The other thing I already mentioned that would put a serious damper on things is not having access to the database and web server on poundhost. If I was a host and I suspended your account, I wouldn't be letting you download your data and disappear until you paid up those overdue fees.

Last edited by john1979; 12 April 2014 at 20:54.
Old 12 April 2014, 21:39   #45
Cpt. Hindsight

Well, here is a good new home for all the people from Lemonamiga if it will never come back, but where's the new home for all those C64 maniacs?

The sites are down for almost two weeks now, so I'm starting to wonder if there is still the will to reanimate the sites again.
Old 12 April 2014, 21:52   #46
JimDrew

www.commodore.ca has forums. People can also use my forums (http://www.cbmstuff.com/forum). I can add any forum areas.
Old 13 April 2014, 14:09   #47
lifeschool
Local Moderator

ok, kinda good news from my perspective. I was trawling around a few of those 'income stats' web sites and checked for LemonAmiga. On one site it said the site generated $20 a month. On http://www.checkwebsitestats.com/www.lemonamiga.com I discovered the host is in the south of England. Right at the bottom of all that info I saw something called Wayback Machine.

Clicking on this, I found an archive of Lemon Amiga (taken 8th Feb 2014).
http://web.archive.org/web/201402080...emonamiga.com/

The SEARCH doesnt work, but the games archives do, and the popular games like SWIV work. Unpopular games like Switchblade dont.

Here's the link to the archived Lemon64.com (same date)
http://web.archive.org/web/201402081...w.lemon64.com/
(I got to the games by clicking Power at Sea, Accolade, Games Home)

edit: if it was my site, Id want the host to PAY ME for having such a unique and popular database on the internet, which generates lots of traffic, rather than have to pay THEM fees.

Last edited by lifeschool; 13 April 2014 at 14:26.
Old 13 April 2014, 21:16   #48
mihcael
Zone Friend

It would not surprise me at all if they never came back.
Old 13 April 2014, 22:53   #49
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Or Hall of Light could add "user rankings and mini comments" and duplicate the unique feature of the Lemon Amiga site while retaining the best Amiga forum as well as the biggest games database!
Old 13 April 2014, 23:38   #50
lupin

Well there is a post on the Facebook page and now on reddit that it's coming back.

Doubt the internet would lie to us.

Old 14 April 2014, 13:18   #51
john1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
Or Hall of Light could add "user rankings and mini comments" and duplicate the unique feature of the Lemon Amiga site while retaining the best Amiga forum as well as the biggest games database!
I've always wanted that feature on the HoL. It's why I always turn to the lemon database first.

Edit:
Quote:
From TNT
"The site should be back online during the upcoming week."

Last edited by john1979; 14 April 2014 at 13:24.
Old 14 April 2014, 13:39   #52
Zandig

My guess is that it is due to the uncovering of the OpenSSL exploit that hit recently which affected alot of servers.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/04/07/mas...-the-internet/
Old 14 April 2014, 14:21   #53
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Lemonamiga site admin has been EvilCensor for a long time. Unfortunatelly, I havent heard anything about him for years, as well as it is almost impossible to contact Kim Lemon himself (although we were relativelly good net-mates once). The Lemonamiga forum was maintained by Graham, but the site itself is something like a unguided missile, which target is probably an oblivion.
Old 15 April 2014, 00:12   #54
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandig View Post
My guess is that it is due to the uncovering of the OpenSSL exploit that hit recently which affected alot of servers.
I would be VERY surprised if that were the case...

desiv
Old 15 April 2014, 02:31   #55
Zandig

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
I would be VERY surprised if that were the case...

desiv

Just a guess. It happened to Abandonia.
Old 15 April 2014, 14:14   #56
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1979 View Post
I've always wanted that feature on the HoL. It's why I always turn to the lemon database first.
We introduce AmigaLore to store all user Comments, Ratings or Review over HOL database
http://www.abime.net/
Old 15 April 2014, 21:17   #57
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCK View Post
We introduce AmigaLore to store all user Comments, Ratings or Review over HOL database
http://www.abime.net/
To be honest, that's really overkill and slow, plus you have to change sites. I'd like to be able to enter a rating and comment from the HOL interface and have it appear, not be sent away to a different site. LORE seems more for lists and stuff like that.

The way Lemon does it is/was perfect!
Old 15 April 2014, 22:38   #58
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
That and also the appearance (especially the white background) is the reason why the Lore is not so popular as it should be.

I am afraid Lemons are gone
Old 15 April 2014, 23:10   #59
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandig View Post
I'm not an expert on such things, but I heard that a change to OpenSSL made 2 years ago is what made the exploit possible. It may have only recently become 'public' knowledge.

Reminds me of the time in the early 2000's where a negative item value on Amazon meant that they paid the customer for the item!! Alot of people knew about it, but it didn't become public knowledge until a few months later after Amazon fixed it and got all there money back.
Old 15 April 2014, 23:20   #60
trydowave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
I am afraid Lemons are gone
Any messages yet from the site owners or maybe one of lemons youtube reviewers?

UPDATE: went to youtube and got this info:

"LemonTubeAmiga

5 days ago
no its just a temporary measure while Kim Lemon sets up a new account with a different server host. If all goes well I expect the site to be back up perhaps next week. Fingers crossed."