English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 12 July 2008, 16:21   #41
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4p View Post
Even though I got annoyed by some bugs I still enjoy(ed) them a bit...
I wont tell anyone that you like(d) them a bit
You are right about that they are a bit overrated. Like I said they are really fun to play with two players, but the level design and gameplay are not that great as some say. It is just a funny (and buggy ) top-view shooter nothing more
Old 12 July 2008, 16:23   #42
Graham Humphrey

I agree. Decent games, certainly, and I do enjoy them but I won't be going back to them that often. Definitely no classics.
Old 12 July 2008, 16:27   #43
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Have you tried the two player mode with your brother Graham? It really doubles the fun playing the game Last weekend I told a friend of mine who visited me we were doing this competition and then we have played a round with two players. Then I knew again why I liked that game so much back in the days (tm)
Old 12 July 2008, 16:34   #44
Graham Humphrey

No I haven't actually. Might try it later on.
Old 12 July 2008, 17:40   #45
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Phew, even if AB2 is not as hard as the first part, it's surely demanding Fighting back these alien hordes becomes quite stressy after a while

@Graham
I hope you will like the two player mode
Old 12 July 2008, 20:50   #46
mailman
Zone Friend

Quote:
Thanks for the condolences.

Thank god I'm finally done with Alien Breed II. I'll now try to beat its predecessor, too.
Could you tell us something about your technique of playing? Simultanously you hate this game and you rule in it. Where's the catch?
Old 12 July 2008, 20:53   #47
mailman
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Nice score mailman
Have you completed the game in that run?
No, I haven't and I doubt I will (unless I play on WinUAE but I don't want to). I didn't even get to military tower. The game is tough when you can't use rebounders (I wrote about it before - WHDLoad slave has a bug which on my systems quits the game if there are too many rebounder projectiles on the screen). I play using triple lazer only.
Old 12 July 2008, 21:02   #48
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
No, I haven't and I doubt I will (unless I play on WinUAE but I don't want to). I didn't even get to military tower. The game is tough when you can't use rebounders (I wrote about it before - WHDLoad slave has a bug which on my systems quits the game if there are too many rebounder projectiles on the screen). I play using triple lazer only.
Last round the instable Turrican slave and now the same thing with Alien Breed 2 I bought the rebounders as soon as possible because, like you said, they are the best weapon in the game. If you can't use them it's much harder. There should be a thread like 'WHDLoad slaves with bugs' so Graham could check if there are any known issues with the games we play
Old 12 July 2008, 21:51   #49
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
Could you tell us something about your technique of playing? Simultanously you hate this game and you rule in it. Where's the catch?
Well, I can highly recommend the bouncer (rebound) - it's the only weapon you'll ever need. Of course you'll later need a flamethrower to close the gas hole - but therefore the weakest version is sufficient.
I also didn't buy the map for 45.000 credits and that way could heal me 15 more times (15 x 3.000).

But I've just read you can't use the bouncer weapon. That's certainly a disadvantage.
Old 12 July 2008, 21:55   #50
mailman
Zone Friend

Quote:
Well, I can highly recommend the bouncer (rebound) - it's the only weapon you'll ever need. Of course you'll later need a flamethrower to close the gas hole - but therefore the weakest version is sufficient.
I also didn't buy the map for 45.000 credits and that way could heal me 15 more times (15 x 3.000).

But I've just read you can't use the bouncer weapon. That's certainly a disadvantage.
And what about that hate? The more you hate the game, the better you play it?
Old 12 July 2008, 23:26   #51
john4p
Competition Moderator

The game got voted - so I gave my best.

I can be good at a game I dislike and vice versa. For example Counterstrike: I like that game, but suck at it.

Being good or bad at a game and liking it doesn't correlate.
Old 13 July 2008, 08:20   #52
mailman
Zone Friend

Quote:
Thanks for the condolences.

Thank god I'm finally done with Alien Breed II. I'll now try to beat its predecessor, too.
Don't be so sure of your 1st place. I will give a try using rebounders (use with cautious). In the past I finished this game without much effort
Old 13 July 2008, 09:44   #53
john4p
Competition Moderator

I'm never sure about anything in this competition. Not with you and TF around...
Old 13 July 2008, 10:16   #54
mailman
Zone Friend

Quote:
I'm never sure about anything in this competition. Not with you and TF around...
Well, you can be sure... Once again I investigated the readme file to AB2 slave and noticed that ECS version has a problem with rebounders fixed (AGA version which I play most often has not for sure). I couldn't recall whever I checked it or not and gave it a try in hope I could beat you. I bought rebounders and after a while of shooting the game quitted. Like I wrote in some threads or in bug reports (I can't recall) it seems to me like this "flaw" hasn't been fixed or later fixes which has been implemented in the slave made it transparent or not working.

Back to TCD idea about buggy slaves thread. Once I started such thread but pretty soon it ended in closing it (here). Among others I mentioned Goal, Robocop 3, Lotus 3. It was a thread about slaves which were abandoned (mostly Mr. Larmer's work) and it would be nice if someone could improve or fix them (writing bug reports in this case is not much help). After a discussion pretty soon it became a flamewar and some people were throwing stones at me... Pretty sad but true...
Old 13 July 2008, 10:27   #55
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Back to TCD idea about buggy slaves thread. Once I started such thread but pretty soon it ended in closing it (I can't find it right now and I presume it was deleted). Among others I mentioned Goal, Robocop 3. It was a thread about slaves which were abandoned (Mr. Larmer's work) and it would nice if someone could improve them (writing bug reports in this case is not much help). After a discussion pretty soon it became a flamewar and some people were throwing stones at me... Pretty sad but true...
That's pretty bad. I'm not so much into WHDLoad since I only own a A500 without a HD, but I know it's pretty much the one way to play the old games on newer Amiga hardware. So if any slaves have problems with a certain hardware config that should be mentioned somewhere, but when the old thread turned into a flamewar I guess that is not possible It's just a pity that the competition is not completly even between emulation and real hardware because of buggy slaves.
Anyway I wish you really the best of luck mailman
Old 13 July 2008, 11:26   #56
Graham Humphrey

Some of the responses in mailman's thread were pathetic, quite frankly...

It's a shame the slave is bugged, it doesn't help competitions like this (anyone remember the Project-X round last year? That was pretty bad).
Old 18 July 2008, 20:43   #57
CHook/OTT
Super Hang-On King

Another attempt and not much better really

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ab2ecs.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	17197  
Old 19 July 2008, 10:57   #58
Graham Humphrey

Last day now...

Come on people, if some of you have played these games but haven't submitted a score you may as well as you'll almost certainly score some points in the league, given the lack of entries
Old 20 July 2008, 01:03   #59
Graham Humphrey

And this one's done too...