English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 13 June 2008, 09:18   #41
CHook/OTT
Super Hang-On King

I explored the levels a bit more 2nd time round. I finished it but with only 5 lives left and world 4 is horrid, The amount of times i killed myself jumping up into spikes/drops going for all the gems really pissed me off

anyway: 1,419,200
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	turri.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	16852  
Old 13 June 2008, 10:57   #42
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHook/OTT View Post
I explored the levels a bit more 2nd time round. I finished it but with only 5 lives left and world 4 is horrid, The amount of times i killed myself jumping up into spikes/drops going for all the gems really pissed me off

anyway: 1,419,200
Yep, i was saying this earlier to John4p in regards to the Aliens Blood Drops level ( aka World 4 ) and yes the spikes too are a huge pain!!...
Old 13 June 2008, 13:01   #43
Graham Humphrey

Getting better (though I still don't think it's a very good game), that boss on level 2-2 did for me though - how on Earth are you supposed to beat that...?

Old 13 June 2008, 15:00   #44
bLAZER
Awesome to the max

Oh no, you beat me! I also died on that boss.. and also wonder how to kill him.. I lost about 4 lives...
Old 13 June 2008, 19:50   #45
CHook/OTT
Super Hang-On King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
that boss on level 2-2 did for me though - how on Earth are you supposed to beat that...?
Is that one the fish?
Old 13 June 2008, 20:16   #46
Graham Humphrey

Er, I think so. Sadly I can't fully remember (and I only played it this morning...)
Old 13 June 2008, 21:13   #47
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Er, I think so. Sadly I can't fully remember (and I only played it this morning...)
If you mean that boss where you are stuck on the left hand side of the screen and you cant move anywhere while the boss slowly gets closer and closer with its large claw like pincers, then its actually very easy to kill... actually if you do it the right way, you could kill it after it moves only an inch.

Just stand there, hold down the fire button and just give it a constant stream of your beam while pressing space bar to use your power walls, and then when you are out of those, just keep hitting alt and grenade the bastard!. With this method you really cant lose!. Actually even without the power walls or grenades, your beam should be enough to destroy it
Old 13 June 2008, 21:48   #48
Graham Humphrey

That's it Blade, thanks!
Old 13 June 2008, 23:34   #49
bLAZER
Awesome to the max

I used my beam and power walls for 4 lives.. but he still didn't die...
Old 14 June 2008, 00:02   #50
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bLAZER View Post
Try to stand as far left as possible (near to the spikes). There is a position where he can't get you, but you can easily use your beam to destroy him (like blade said). Even if you lose one live to find the right position to stand, you wont lose more lives because he drains your energy.
Old 14 June 2008, 10:31   #51
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I've managed to get through the pesky jetpack level
With my last life I was doing quite good and then I just descended a bit too far...

Old 14 June 2008, 11:05   #52
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
I've managed to get through the pesky jetpack level
With my last life I was doing quite good and then I just descended a bit too far...

Oooooh yeah, that little spot there where you died is a bitch!.. all those little silver things drain your energy and there is no where to go except up!, but until you get up, there is no hope!... i lost about 2 lives on that one spot when i got to there last week

Quote:
As CyberDruid said, do as he said

One thing you must not do is panic! Get up as far left as possible so you are level with creature and just let rip with the beam and STAY THERE!!.. Don't move!.. then let rip with your whole arsenal again!... and you WILL beat him this way

Last edited by Graham Humphrey; 14 June 2008 at 12:44.
Old 14 June 2008, 11:39   #53
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
Oooooh yeah, that little spot there where you died is a bitch!.. all those little silver things drain your energy and there is no where to go except up!, but until you get up, there is no hope!... i lost about 2 lives on that one spot when i got to there last week
I almost got lost in the second alien level I jumped down on that spot and had to discover there was no floor The acid drops are not so bad, but these flying skulls and falling rocks are hard to avoid. Hopefully I will be able to finish the game before this round is over
Old 15 June 2008, 02:41   #54
bLAZER
Awesome to the max

Quote:
One thing you must not do is panic! Get up as far left as possible so you are level with creature and just let rip with the beam and STAY THERE!!.. Don't move!.. then let rip with your whole arsenal again!... and you WILL beat him this way
I haven't bothered playing again but if you look at my screenshot at the first page, as I can remember I couldn't move more to the left... and I shot him with the beam and <space bar> as much I could with 4 lives...
Old 15 June 2008, 02:58   #55
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
I haven't bothered playing again but if you look at my screenshot at the first page, as I can remember I couldn't move more to the left... and I shot him with the beam and <space bar> as much I could with 4 lives...
I can see part of your problem in that screenshot and the problem is that your beam is a bit too short!.. you need to try and get there with a longer beam from collecting the bonus tokens scattered around throughout the whole game. Generally speaking, i try and get there with a full length beam so it reaches all the way to the end!.

BUT.... of course if you lose to many lives inbetween your last lot of tokens then your fire power is going to be diminished. What you should do before you get to that boss next time, is test your beam to see how long it is so you know where you stand in the fight, and then if its too short again, you will need to run up about half way, beam him as much as you can before he gets too close , then run a couple more inches back, beam him again and then when he is only a couple of inches away from you, jump up to the far left again so that you are level with him and them beam the shit out of him once more and then use all your power walls and grenades!!.

Other than that. your screwed!
Old 15 June 2008, 08:31   #56
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
Actually Turrican is really good for me right now, because it takes alot of things off my mind while i am playing because right now i am under extreme stress and pressure!. Gotta love the Amiga & Turrican for that, they transport me to a world ( and a happier time ) that not even GTA4 could!
Yes - it's a timeless classic. I actually haven't bothered at all with current-gen games. After Playstation 2, X-Box and Gamecube I didn't buy any new consoles.
I'll wait until I have a 1080p (full HD) TV or Beamer before I buy the PS3.

Still I have a PSP and currently enjoy Crisis Core (but mostly play emulators on it).

@bLAZER: Almost always you will have the laser as weapon when you reach this boss. Just press repeatedly the firebutton (FAST) - he'll soon go down (faster than with the beam plus the laser is always "long enough" ).
Of course you can also use your extras to make him go down even faster: grenades are stronger, so you should first repeatedly push ALT until you have no more of these before you push SPACE to use the powerlines.
Old 15 June 2008, 13:34   #57
mailman
Zone Friend

I am stuck in Level 2-1. How to progress lower? How to destroy these green pads underneath me?

Last edited by mailman; 25 October 2009 at 19:51.
Old 15 June 2008, 13:39   #58
john4p
Competition Moderator

Hold fire until you have the beam - then use left/right to move the beam below you.
Old 15 June 2008, 13:39   #59
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
I am stuck in Level 2-1. How to progress lower? How to destroy these green pads underneath me?
Use the beam to destroy them. In case you use autofire disable it and hold down the firebutton to activate the beam.

Edit : Why I always have to be second
Old 15 June 2008, 13:40   #60
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post

You "are" aware of the beam are you not? hold down the fire button with autofire off, and the beam comes out, then push the joystick left or right until the beam is facing down so that you can destroy the platforms beneath you.

If you have played Turrican 2, its the same thing.