Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
Maybe it really is the new Moobunny?
I might regret this: Who is Moobunny?
Old 30 June 2023, 10:15   #42
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
I might regret this: Who is Moobunny?
Moobunny was a pretty-much-moderation-free and anonymous forum of sorts, where all the Amiga trolls went after they were banned from all the more mainstream sites. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
Old 30 June 2023, 10:51   #43
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Thanks for the explanation Not a place for me then
Old 30 June 2023, 11:49   #44
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

I am actually really gutted I won't be able to make it to this event.
I would love to finally meet all of the familiar faces in the Amiga Community!

Maybe next year, if there's another one next year!

I might be able to go to Amiga38, not sure yet.

To those going, please have fun and record videos etc for youtube...
Old 30 June 2023, 12:50   #45
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolate_boy View Post
I'd say telling someone of Indian origin to 'stick to playing the Sitar' as he does a few times in the video above, could certainly be taken as a racial slur.
I wish I had the musical talent to play the sitar. I'm not sure recognition of those who do could be considered offensive. More of a stereotype. Brits are accused of worse traits. We're morons who travel abroad, won't make any effort to learn the language and will only eat fish and chips ordered from ex-pat-run takeaways.
Old 30 June 2023, 13:27   #46
BarryB
Amigaholic

Ravi Shankar springs to mind, he could play the Sitar!!
Old 30 June 2023, 15:39   #47
acidbottle

Couldn't make it this year but I sincerely hope there will be a kickstart 2.

Have fun to those who attend!
Old 30 June 2023, 16:49   #48
mcgeezer

I'd just like to wish everybody going to have an enjoyable time, I suppose I could apologise about the drama that's been kicked up but then that wouldn't be right as things should have been handled differently on the organisers part.

Be sure to look out for my special awards ceremony that I was going to do at the event.
Old 01 July 2023, 01:33   #49
Bren McGuire

first you still letting david pleasance go spread more of his drivel after what he tried to do to the amiga scene and now you ban one of the members of the community that actually contributes something of worth? you have definitely lost the plot and anyone attending your event should think twice before thinking they are being supportive of this community, quite the contrary
Old 01 July 2023, 02:02   #50
lmimmfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulee_Alex_Bow View Post
With respect, it’s Ravi’s event that he’s put his own money into, he can do whatever he likes ¯\_(?)_/¯ you could run your own event and follow your moral barometer on inviting people if you fancied. I know the Zzap folks are running their own one in August
Yes, of course its Ravi's event and he can do what he pleases with it. But any Amiga event I've ever been to is driven by the community, not one person dictating who should attend and what's open to discussion.
I dont understand what you mean by me running my own event with my own moral barometer, I have 0 intention of doing so and I think the barometer is the community without being selective.
Either way, it is what it is but so disappointing that this event has a needless cloud over it, either way, have a great time
Old 01 July 2023, 04:17   #51
Paulee_Alex_Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
I wish I had the musical talent to play the sitar. I'm not sure recognition of those who do could be considered offensive. More of a stereotype. Brits are accused of worse traits. We're morons who travel abroad, won't make any effort to learn the language and will only eat fish and chips ordered from ex-pat-run takeaways.
From the above paragraph, you really don’t understand minority stress ¯\_(?)_/¯, that’s wildly off topic and I apologise, but it had to be said.
Old 01 July 2023, 04:25   #52
XPD
Geek Kiwi

So much for being a nice big happy Amiga family

I'd love to see an event like this down under, but alas the Amiga scene is quite small now down here and those that would turn up with items for sale will be the usual scalpers with no love for the Amiga, just out for a buck.
Old 01 July 2023, 04:31   #53
Paulee_Alex_Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren McGuire View Post
first you still letting david pleasance go spread more of his drivel after what he tried to do to the amiga scene and now you ban one of the members of the community that actually contributes something of worth? you have definitely lost the plot and anyone attending your event should think twice before thinking they are being supportive of this community, quite the contrary
AFAIK David will be going to simply sell his books. The organisers wanted everyone to feel welcome, but, I guess there are limits. I’ve heard excerpts from FS of what could be seen as a long-term campaign against Ravi and co, so it’s definitely possible to see where he was coming from.

You might be the kind of person who thinks that people should be able to weather infinite criticism and abuse, but I’ve found that, bravado aside, humans don’t really work like that ¯\_(?)_/¯

Anyhow, as someone else who contributes something of worth (I help a lot of people online with Amiga musical questions), I’m going to go and support the many creatives, vendors and user groups, and not think twice at all
Old 01 July 2023, 04:35   #54
Paulee_Alex_Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmimmfn View Post
Yes, of course its Ravi's event and he can do what he pleases with it. But any Amiga event I've ever been to is driven by the community, not one person dictating who should attend and what's open to discussion.
I dont understand what you mean by me running my own event with my own moral barometer, I have 0 intention of doing so and I think the barometer is the community without being selective.
Either way, it is what it is but so disappointing that this event has a needless cloud over it, either way, have a great time
There’s zero clouds over the event IMHO, tomorrow’s just gonna be a happy day. It’s amazing that the community can have shows this big and that they’re becoming a more regular thing
Old 01 July 2023, 05:09   #55
Pyromania

Sunny sky’s all around this weekend then hopefully.
Old 01 July 2023, 09:18   #56
Paulee_Alex_Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
Sunny sky’s all around this weekend then hopefully.
And there’s Zzap next month of course. In this scene, it’s always possible to find people and groups that you get on with
Old 01 July 2023, 09:56   #57
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Quote:
From the above paragraph, you really don’t understand minority stress ¯\_(?)_/¯, that’s wildly off topic and I apologise, but it had to be said.
Okey-dokey, if you say so...

https://www.un.org/en/desa/india-overtake-china-world-most-populous-country-april-2023-united-nations-projects

I'm sure you've got a good point to raise, but you really need to wait for a relevant moment to insert it.
Old 01 July 2023, 11:29   #58
mcgeezer

Quick sign post video to grab a free digital download of Devil's Temple for those attending the Kickstart event over the weekend:

The awards ceremony will be held on FunkySpectrum at around 12.

[ Show youtube player ]

Hope you all have a great time.

PS. The awards ceremony has started https://www.funkyspectrum.com/?p=13509

Last edited by mcgeezer; 01 July 2023 at 12:48.
Old 01 July 2023, 12:48   #59
stevelord

Quote:
AFAIK David will be going to simply sell his books. The organisers wanted everyone to feel welcome, but, I guess there are limits.
Yes, those limits appear to be:

- Straight up grifting: Sure, no problems, peddle your warez
- Hosting someone else's objectionable stuff: Oh god no, can't have that.

I don't agree with Graeme hosting FS, but AFAICT Graeme's being singled out not for his own content, but FS's. That's not "there are limits", that's targeting a person through association. Nobody really wins though, except maybe Pleasance.

Quote:
I’ve heard excerpts from FS of what could be seen as a long-term campaign against Ravi and co, so it’s definitely possible to see where he was coming from.
Then ban FS and make it up-front and public. That at least makes coherent sense.

There are a ton of questions for which I have no answers and maybe Graeme can shine some light on this. Have Ravi and co actually complained to Graeme about hosting the content? Have they asked for it to be taken down? If they have and Graeme refused then there's at least a clear reason that directly links Graeme to a course of action or inaction. Sunshine is the best disinfectant.

FWIW I can sympathize with the organizers (having spent 10 years in the past running similar-sized events in a different area), but I think it's worth them spending some time after the event thinking about how to handle and present these kinds of incident. If there is a campaign by FS against the crew, they've given FS an open goal here.

Last edited by stevelord; 01 July 2023 at 14:02.
Old 01 July 2023, 12:49   #60
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelord View Post

There are a ton of questions for which I have no answers and maybe Graeme can shine some light on this. Have Ravi and co actually complained to Graeme about hosting the content? Have they asked for it to be taken down?
Nope, no such request was ever made.