English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 12 January 2013, 14:44   #41
clownstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
Kipper2K's Fast RAM is an absolute must It will give you so much commodity in your everyday work. You can start multiple programs, go wild with RAD, animations, music, and the best thing of all, it actually speeds up your A600 system for about 30% !!!
Take a look at this thread:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=64218&page=8
You will see my system assembled, and how CF drive, Chip RAM, Fast RAM, scandoubler, and floppy all fit together

Yes, he is very busy, and sometimes you just have to wait a bit (currently I am waiting for his reply), but he is an outstanding guy, and I can confirm everything fitzsteve said. Maybe even raise the percentage a bit, from 100% to 110%
What does worry me slightly is that I was doing some testing in winuae on my CF card I use in the Amiga. Set it up exacly the same as mine but added 4Mb fast ram and I still had problems loading WHDLoad games. The screen would flicker and music would cut out.

Does this mean testing this in winuae is just not a good idea or is that a true reflection of how it would run when I try it on the actual Amiga?
Old 12 January 2013, 14:50   #42
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
This happens because the game needs to stop to load due to lack of available memory.

If you boot using the Classic Workbench start-up menu (hold right mouse) and choose 'Run List>AG-Launch' you can load the games from here with the maximum memory available, this should help with the flashing, etc.

You should be fine for most 1-3 Disk Games, 4 Disks and above will still probably need a little more Ram and will act as you describe. You could go ahead an get a 2mb SRAM for the PCMCIA to get 6mb Fast Ram but then you may as well consider an ACA620!

WHDload on an A600 is always going to be a compromise, the best all round setup for WHDLoad is an A1200 with a Blizzard 1230 and 32mb/64mb Ram
Old 12 January 2013, 14:54   #43
clownstyle

I'm running classic workbench (GAAE) and booting straight into ag-launch using the left mouse button.

I noticed chaos engine flashes quite badly and from what I remember that was a 2 disk game.

I thought maybe my startup needed to be more streamlined but surely if I boot straight into AG-Launch I'm not using too much memory on that?

Other than that the actual games seem to play fine, as you say its just the loading screens!
Old 12 January 2013, 14:59   #44
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
What version of WHDLoad are you using?
Old 12 January 2013, 15:02   #45
clownstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
What version of WHDLoad are you using?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WHDLoad.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	33837  
Old 12 January 2013, 15:37   #46
clownstyle

Just updated WHDLoad and all the games I have tried are working fine

Old 12 January 2013, 15:39   #47
chocolate_boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownstyle View Post
When I use the Amiga on a flat screen TV I get major flickering in WB. Ideally I'd like to have it hooked up to an old lcd monitor I have kicking around.

Then I realised how expensive the scandoubler was...
That;s just down to your TV. The more premium LCD/Plasma sets will flicker-fix interlace screens, screens from Samsung for example always solve the flicker for me. Some of the low-end ones I've seen (Alba etc.) and super-market own brands sometimes don't. I'd say just get a better display.
Old 12 January 2013, 15:44   #48
clownstyle

Well funny you should say that, I had tried it on the cheap lcd upstairs but I have a nice new samsung downstairs

I suppose I would still be worthwhile getting an RGB to scart lead
Old 12 January 2013, 16:53   #49
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownstyle View Post
What does worry me slightly is that I was doing some testing in winuae on my CF card I use in the Amiga. Set it up exacly the same as mine but added 4Mb fast ram and I still had problems loading WHDLoad games. The screen would flicker and music would cut out.

Does this mean testing this in winuae is just not a good idea or is that a true reflection of how it would run when I try it on the actual Amiga?
In my experience it's just the opposite. Leisure Suite Larry wouldn't work with just Chip RAM. But it works now with Kipper2K's Fast RAM
Of course, your issue is probably what fitzsteve explained. I haven't tried large whdload games. But you needn't worry. I still haven't found any problems with additional Fast RAM.
Old 12 January 2013, 17:52   #50
clownstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
In my experience it's just the opposite. Leisure Suite Larry wouldn't work with just Chip RAM. But it works now with Kipper2K's Fast RAM
Of course, your issue is probably what fitzsteve explained. I haven't tried large whdload games. But you needn't worry. I still haven't found any problems with additional Fast RAM.
I think it was the fact I was using a old version of whdload as Steve pointed out. Everything I would "expect" to load in WHDLoad is... Which is nice