English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 August 2023, 23:24   #41
jotd
This cat is no more

MAME on classic amiga is really slow and choppy. You can't do much better not because of the emulation but because of the display which is not adapted to the amiga because drawn 100% at each time, needs C2P, not using blitter, doesn't use hardware sprites, etc...

Maybe someone can improve the way MAME displays (see great ports of Bszill, TFX hack), but it will still require 68040+ just to play Pacman
Old 09 August 2023, 11:15   #42
Cris1997XX

I'm always happy to see more arcade ports to the Amiga, or heck even console ports (I'm still waiting for Sonic 1 by the way). Sure, it might not be the most powerful computer out there, but we don't care about that right? Those early conversions by Tiertex, Ocean, Probe, Software Creations, etc. were utter shite, and only a few of them turned out well. So a modern, capable programmer can do a way better job
Old 09 August 2023, 13:47   #43
S0ulA55a551n

Form my point of view arcade conversions in general versus playing on Mame is the extra constraints the home version gives you.

On Mame you can just keep ploughing imaginary coins into the machine until you complete it. Now you could set yourself limits but its just the same.
Old 09 August 2023, 19:02   #44
pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
You say that as if there are no existing games which do that. Several, they're just not arcade originals.
I said some, and we also have those that had a good engine but lacked a larger team and money allocated to it like the consoles and as such their graphics weren't as good. I guess was a reality of scale undermined Amiga.
Old 28 May 2024, 22:36   #45
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink^abyss View Post
After doing some Amiga conversions (which added nothing new) I started a game called "Random Islands". It was based on "Rainbow Islands" but with randomized levels/gameplay. It ran in 50fps and looked quite like the Arcade version.. it would have been a good example of a semi arcade port with a new twist..
Hi Pink. After playing a few rounds of Tiny Bubble (amazing as all others) I wondered if you are still working on something, then I found this Any news?
Old 28 May 2024, 22:55   #46
Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
True New software still feels like the 'fuel' of the community to me
This is very true. LemonAmiga has 51 games this decade averaging 7 or more, some commercial, some PD. That's what gives something new for oldtimers to check out.

Even the BBC website mentioned the new Amiga game scene in passing recently - https://www.bbc.co.uk/future/article...age-technology
Old 29 May 2024, 01:16   #47
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
This is very true. LemonAmiga has 51 games this decade averaging 7 or more, some commercial, some PD. That's what gives something new for oldtimers to check out.Even the BBC website mentioned the new Amiga game scene in passing recently - https://www.bbc.co.uk/future/article...age-technology
Thanks for the link