Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 23 September 2023, 22:29   #41
Calabazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by koobo View Post

There's an ENV-variable that can be used for this:
Code:
setenv PlaySIDMode 3
This will enable SIDBlaster output with other apps (as in, not HippoPlayer) using playsid.library.

Unfortunately this is a known issue at the moment. Some more investigation is needed.
Thanks. I have setenved this as you wrote it, and now when i launch Magic64 the computer reboots itself directly whith noise coming from the speaker i have connected to the SIDBlaster. May be related to the other freeze problem.

Is there a place where one can read about development on this matter and perhaps contribute as a tester, as i have everything required now?

On my A4000, the SIDBlaster is connected to the front USB hub i have installed, which is powered from the PSU and not only by the Deneb itself.
However, i have an USB thingie which i can connect between the USB port and the device to see what power is used, and it seems the SIDBlaster is drawing 4.76 V and 0.07A. I don't know if it should have 5.0V. In this A4000, everything is new, except the PSU which may be the weak part even if it has been fine so far. The Deneb also runs at the same time a Creative Soundblaster USB card mouted internally for AHI device and an USB network adapter, and both run perfect.
Same stuff tested out of the USB port of my Intel NUC, and the SIDBlaster uses 5.04V and 0.06A, never crashes.
I should try an externally powered usb hub on the Amiga but i have none at hand for now.

Last edited by Calabazam; 23 September 2023 at 22:58.
Old 26 September 2023, 10:57   #42
koobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabazam View Post
Thanks. I have setenved this as you wrote it, and now when i launch Magic64 the computer reboots itself directly whith noise coming from the speaker i have connected to the SIDBlaster. May be related to the other freeze problem.
Does Magic64 work with the playsid.library otherwise? Setting the env variable to 1 enables the reSID mode by the way, 0 is the normal mode, 3 is SIDBlaster.

Quote:
Is there a place where one can read about development on this matter and perhaps contribute as a tester, as i have everything required now?
At the moment it's unclear whether the problem lies in the USB stack (poseidon.library) or in the SIDBlaster intgration part. Could you try the following: start playing with sidblaster (eg. with hippoplayer), then run WhichAmiga, and see if after WhichAmiga has run the computer jams or doesn't, this might give some clues.
Old 26 September 2023, 22:47   #43
Calabazam

Yes Magic64 works either with the playsid.library (the best choice) or the 6581sid.library which comes from an older emulator (A64 maybe) and is not good but faster.

I use R-Type for my tests.
So i did try ReSID mode with Magic64 and it is painfully slow, i get only 15% of the C64 speed only to load the title screen. With so much CPU consumed, i don't actually have any music and can't start a game.
With SIDBlaster (mode 3), freeze at the launch of the emulator or at the title screen, it depends.
With mode 0, the normal playsid lib gives me 100% of the speed with my usual settings and acceptable music, except some drops to 75% 80% in game when there are a lot of sprites.

About WhichAmiga 1.3.3 (2.5.99), freezes instantly if SIDBlaster is connected. Works ok if not.

Last edited by Calabazam; 27 September 2023 at 13:37.
Old 26 September 2023, 23:27   #44
Calabazam

Then i tried the A1200 with Vampire v2 which has a Subway. The SIDBlaster works with one of the two ports and keep powercycling with the other although both gives 5V according to my USB thingie (IComp PSU), then is recognized by Poseidon 4.4 just like on the A4000.
Works with Hippoplayer. Works with Magic64 and setenv mode 3. In that case, i have 100% FPS in RType and perfect sound. However, if i let the emulation run several minutes on the ready screen of level 1, after a while the music stutters and i see the FPS dropping to 25% then back to 100% then again 25% for a few seconds, etc. No freeze though.

I tried also mode 1 with Magic64 and i am surprised to see it behaves just like the A4000 with 15 - 20 %, can't even play music or start level 1. ReSID seems no good for Magic64.

About the whichamiga test, works without sidblaster, freezes with sidblaster.

There is still the zorro sid board as an alternative choice, but i don't know if it can operate with the emulator though a lib.
Old 29 November 2023, 07:11   #45
koobo

Playsid.library v1.6 found in https://aminet.net/mus/play/hippoplayerupdate.lha
now has better environment variable controls and Erique's improved SIDBlaster support, as well as some other improvements.
Old 29 November 2023, 22:50   #46
Calabazam

I can confirm that the updated lib has been flawless with the SIDBlaster for the last few months i have been testing it.
There is no freeze or crash and cpu usage is not noticiable on my setups with the SIDBLaster. Even works great with Magic64 using the ENV variables.

I would like to know if it would also work with the ZorroSID board which has been around for a few years.
SIDBlasters don't seem available to buy anymore currently.
Old 01 December 2023, 06:17   #47
koobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabazam View Post
I would like to know if it would also work with the ZorroSID board which has been around for a few years.
SIDBlasters don't seem available to buy anymore currently.
This seems to be a simple card and supporting this should not be difficult.
Two issues: what is the memory address that the card publishes, and how does the card do that in a system compatible manner. Some investigation needed

Do you have this card as well?
Old 01 December 2023, 13:07   #48
Calabazam

No i don't have one but would love to be able to buy one ready made.

Latest upgraded design is here https://www.pcbway.com/project/share..._30dddeb1.html

Seems RAM address is set by jumpers.

Old 02 December 2023, 17:06   #49
Calabazam

Hi again.

Seems the setenv PlaySIDmode [number] does not work anymore since i updated the lib with the latest from the Hippo archive.
Is something broken or did the variable change?

[EDIT]: sorry i have read the included readme now!