English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 30 March 2010, 08:40   #41
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I'm missing a '' in your post gimbal Nice tactic there
Old 30 March 2010, 09:19   #42
mombasajoe

Last level of Chaos Engine, New York Warriors, Silkworm....there must have been a contest like "who manages to program a final enemy with so much bullets around that no unoccupied free backround pixels remain?"...weird stuff...much frustration, no fun.
Old 30 March 2010, 09:31   #43
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombasajoe View Post
Last level of Chaos Engine
Don't remind me of that one... Blood sweat and tears, my actual fingers bleeding from finally getting to the end of world four (of course start from the very beginning, using codes is for lamers), only to be killed time and time again by that mother...

Eventually I just gave up; I love that game enough to replay it every now and then, but when I get to the boss I just fark around until I get killed, I'm not even making an effort anymore. Perhaps when I was 15 years younger I might have had a chance to beat him with my youthful perseverance, but not anymore.
Old 31 March 2010, 12:41   #44
Marcuz

to me pretty muc all the boss fights in the PC game The Summoner were frustrating, specially when some of them were revived in later fights...
Old 31 March 2010, 15:00   #45
lost_lemming

not amiga but peecee
the lava pit monster in Quake1, now sadly for me haha i was the only one who was trying to blast that motha with all that i had. a month later I was told you had to press the buttons
Old 31 March 2010, 15:35   #46
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Heh, it took me about an hour to figure that I need to telefrag the last boss in Quake
Old 01 April 2010, 15:47   #47
capehorn

I worked that out by dumb luck. You had to go through the teleporter when that moving ball passed through the monster didn't you? I just happened to go through it at the right moment without realising the method!
Old 26 April 2010, 00:38   #48
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Just before the main boss in quake 4 (Xbox 360) is the Nexus Core... this room is driving me MAD, I just cant seem to take down the three hovering Strogg enemies...

I am just about to go nuts here - would seem a shame to pack it in so close to the end.... HELP!!!!
Old 26 April 2010, 10:05   #49
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Try to use the nail gun and strafe sideways like a maniac You'll need the dark matter gun for the boss, so try not to use it here (I know that this advice isn't really helpful for now...). Otherwise restart the level and conserve more helath and armor if you can for this fight.
Old 26 April 2010, 13:51   #50
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Try to use the nail gun and strafe sideways like a maniac You'll need the dark matter gun for the boss, so try not to use it here (I know that this advice isn't really helpful for now...). Otherwise restart the level and conserve more helath and armor if you can for this fight.
Cheers TCD - I am going to give it another go later - the rest of the game has been a bit of a breeze to be honest so it has been a bit of a shock to the system to find a few badies giving a bit of resistance!
Old 26 April 2010, 15:01   #51
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

If you progress slowly the game is really not that hard, so the last 'arenas' where you can't really back off and take them out one by one get quite hard indeed. Just remembered that you find some dark matter ammo after those nasties, so you might want to take out one with that gun first
Old 26 April 2010, 15:22   #52
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Don't remind me of that one... Blood sweat and tears, my actual fingers bleeding from finally getting to the end of world four (of course start from the very beginning, using codes is for lamers), only to be killed time and time again by that mother...
Just make sure you have enough lives, have your weapon fully powered up and stand still and just keep firing. You'll loose lives, but if you buy enough, the Chaos Engine is toast

The codes are useful for stopping mid game
Old 27 April 2010, 02:42   #53
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Flight View Post
Chrono Trigger? wtf? This isn't an Amiga game! anyway no SNES RPG is hard, and this one's the most childish of the lot. you just weren't levelled enough. There's nothing necessarily tactical in it (I played that puppet, on 5x fast forward)
I pretty much rushed through the whole game and got to the end in no time, only to get stuck on the final boss battle I remember that battle being a bit too long winded I think overall it's a pretty decent game... but it has been years since i first played it I will probably find it much easier to complete now as i've beat harder games
Old 27 April 2010, 11:38   #54
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
only to get stuck on the final boss battle I remember that battle being a bit too long winded
Which one of the twelve? That game has more endings than any game I have ever seen and now the DS version has even more.

To beat it you need some grind time to level up, but not too much. The key is combining the techs properly to get the uber attacks.
Old 27 April 2010, 12:15   #55
capehorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Just make sure you have enough lives, have your weapon fully powered up and stand still and just keep firing. You'll loose lives, but if you buy enough, the Chaos Engine is toast

The codes are useful for stopping mid game
I'm going to give the exact opposite advice - keep running around in a big circle, turning to fire at the machine when it's bullets are a bit behind you. You won't lose more than one life before it is dead.

This guy has it pretty spot on: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 27 April 2010, 20:51   #56
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by capehorn View Post
I'm going to give the exact opposite advice - keep running around in a big circle, turning to fire at the machine when it's bullets are a bit behind you. You won't lose more than one life before it is dead.

Seeing this, I know I had two major problems way back when; I lost too many lives getting to chaos (that last world is a right pain in the arse) and I did not have the patience to attack it properly I might give it another shot one of these days now that I have seen that it is possible to kill chaos without losing a single life...
Old 28 April 2010, 04:07   #57
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Wizpig from Diddy Kong Racing was a massive pain the first time you race him but you honestly want to cry on the final race with him

Finally defeated him after hours of trying and i never want to do it again.Awesome game though
Old 28 April 2010, 10:45   #58
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Which one of the twelve? That game has more endings than any game I have ever seen and now the DS version has even more.
12 endings i only played it through just the once and got stuck battling Lavos (years ago!)

I'm going to play through it again at some point (i hope the cartridge battery is still alive for save games!). This time I will grind and explore more
Old 03 May 2010, 15:43   #59
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by capehorn View Post

That's what I used to do back in the day, but I've switched to the method I've described, becuase I always get to the end with a lot of lives, and it's easier (much easier)
Old 04 May 2010, 09:25   #60
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
12 endings i only played it through just the once and got stuck battling Lavos (years ago!)

I'm going to play through it again at some point (i hope the cartridge battery is still alive for save games!). This time I will grind and explore more
You get different endings when you replay the game, based on choices you make. Basically it means battling Lavos in different times and he will be either easier or harder to beat, but the different endings also net you different ending 'animations'.