English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Contest

Old 06 January 2019, 19:21   #561
van_dammesque

Spot on, and occupies how much memory?
Old 06 January 2019, 19:28   #562
Jack Burton
It's all in the reflexes!

Wow ! Impressive ! It sounds like the original game !
I hope the OPL2 samples will sound as good on a real Amiga.
Old 06 January 2019, 20:26   #563
DJ METUNE

It's a great honor for me to contribute to this project. I got the inquiry 3 days ago and it's taken me about 4 hours of active work to get it done so far. Besides my daily work, I have many other projects in motion too. Also father of 4 kids! But I felt that I didn't want to miss this opportunity. I promise to make it as good and accurate as I possible can, to go hand in hand with the incredible work by Geezer. This gonna be superb!!!

/ DJ METUNE
Old 06 January 2019, 20:46   #564
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ METUNE View Post
It's a great honor for me to contribute to this project. I got the inquiry 3 days ago and it's taken me about 4 hours of active work to get it done so far. Besides my daily work, I have many other projects in motion too. Also father of 4 kids! But I felt that I didn't want to miss this opportunity. I promise to make it as good and accurate as I possible can, to go hand in hand with the incredible work by Geezer. This gonna be superb!!!

/ DJ METUNE
Welcome to the English Amiga Board DJ METUNE, it is also an honor to have you work on my project - your music is superb! There's some great talented people here so I'm sure you'll get more requests for music in their productions.

Geezer
Old 06 January 2019, 21:05   #565
ross
Defendit numerus

Quote:

/ DJ METUNE
Välkommen!
Kudos for your tune
Old 06 January 2019, 22:15   #566
jotd
This cat is no more

very very close to the original tune. Instruments (not the easiest part), notes, and all. Now the "end level" tune and it's done
Old 06 January 2019, 23:09   #567
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:

/ DJ METUNE
Axel F - Your rendition was just awesome

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 07 January 2019, 01:45   #568
buzzybee

@djmetune: Never played the original arcade game and therefore can´t draw any comparisons, but I do love the fact that your track uses samples very different to the common Amiga-stuff and therefore seems to have a unique arcadey flavour. Great!

@mcgeezer: Wow. Seems you now add great music to your fabulous project. Amazing achievements on all levels so far and continuing ...
Old 07 January 2019, 04:32   #569
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:

/ DJ METUNE
Am curious on how you generate your samples
Old 07 January 2019, 11:05   #570
Hewitson

Wow, that sounds absolutely perfect. Even the clicks in the bassline are there. It's not often I'm this impressed with someone's work, BRILLIANT job mate!
Old 07 January 2019, 22:59   #571
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybee View Post
@mcgeezer: Wow. Seems you now add great music to your fabulous project. Amazing achievements on all levels so far and continuing ...
Thanks for the kind feed back Richard, very much appreciated from a man of your caliber.

Quick update... I've just about finished the first enemy of Rygar barring some collision tuning when he falls.

I've also added the kill-all item which is shown in the video, this also happens at the end of the round but I've made my game so damn hard I can't even get to the end of it!

http://109.228.4.199/rygartiger7.mp4

[ Show youtube player ]

Hopefully this week I'll have the pro-tracker stuff put in and the loss of life engine fully done, it shouldn't take long and then it will become an actual game.

Geezer
Old 08 January 2019, 21:50   #572
spotUP

Great work! Really nice! Keep it up!
Old 09 January 2019, 10:19   #573
Frog

wow you must be really proud of your work !
Everything is working as it's supposed to do Good work !
Old 09 January 2019, 11:20   #574
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog View Post
wow you must be really proud of your work !
Everything is working as it's supposed to do Good work !
that's why i'm happy to work in hand with Mcgeezer. He has the drive for this project, and he perfectly knows what he is doing.

Rygar will mostly be the first of a deluxe series games for A1200
Old 09 January 2019, 17:46   #575
Reido

I found myself thinking..... hmmm, that looks and sounds arcade perfect. Haven't had cause to use the term 'arcade perfect' in many many years
Old 12 January 2019, 00:18   #576
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
Hopefully this week I'll have the pro-tracker stuff put in and the loss of life engine fully done, it shouldn't take long and then it will become an actual game.

Geezer
Hope.... hope is the operative word here.

What an absolute pain in the arse.. why oh why do I code in assembler???

In this update I fixed a lot of bugs, but probably introduced quite a few too.

The easy bit was doing the Drone sprite grab animation which I'm quite pleased about and I also have a new way of spawning enemies but isn't shown here.

The difficulty with this update was the "LETS FIGHT" transition, specifically drawing the screen in a manner that was accurate that mimicked the arcade (I did not fuck around with the copper for this... maybe I should have in hindsight).

If you really want to know the details then by all means let me know and I'll discuss them...

I'm pretty close to getting the loss of lives stuff in now... then it will be an actual game.

Geezer

http://109.228.4.199/rygarfight.mp4

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 12 January 2019, 01:38   #577
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Superb !!!
Old 12 January 2019, 04:18   #578
DJ METUNE

Smile Thank you!

Many thanks to you all for the positive responses regarding this music conversion!! :-)

I've been unknown in the Amiga scene with my mods until just relatively recent with the release of the Amiga game Golden Wing by Coppersky, and the Axel F, (thanx Galahad/FLT for your comment!!), mod reconstruction experiment I did some years earlier.

You'll find my uploads here, it's not particularly much yet though .

https://modarchive.org/index.php?req...es&query=89011

Music creation was the biggest reason for me I felt to buy my first Amiga, (A500), followed in later years by an A1200 equipped with Blizzard 1260, and DigiBooster Pro as my then most exciting software. Though Protracker 2.3D is my all time favourite.

Within most of my Amiga-only decades I've been like a lone wolf in the hidden, with strong intentions to release mods for the Amiga scene. But my perfectionist inside me never really let me feel satisfied with anything I did. And mostly I gave those hundreds of tunes I made no beginnings and/or ends.

Though now after the highly positive responses I've got for my Protracker mods online, I finally realised that I've had set the requirements slightly too high. Sickly high perhaps.

But my basic reasoning is that Protracker has many limitations. Some things is just not possible, or not ment to be possible to do. Just as it is with the Amiga. But on the other hand, that's what makes it so addictive I think, to find ways to go beyond.

Only the sky is the limit. . . ...and the amount of chipmem!

/ DJ METUNE
Old 12 January 2019, 04:22   #579
DJ METUNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Am curious on how you generate your samples
It depends on what I'm supposed to accomplish. If I want to make new stuff in Protracker, I usually nowadays use modern music programs to actually compose the music first. Renoise is my best friend when it comes to this. It gives me considerably freer hands than if I were to start directly in PT. It gives me more control of the way things sound together in realtime and helps to get through the creation in a more indestructible way. Brings also the abilities to use eg VSTi synths for the instrument sources, plus effects. But keeping in mind that it should be later optimized for fairly short samples for the reconstruction in Protracker.

For arcade music conversions, this type of preparation is already done in the original. The only thing to do is to analyse what and how notes play simultaneously as other notes, and with what intruments. Try to find the most optimal sample in a melody for instance. So that It's possible to get the best and most out of it in the final reconstruction in Protracker. Making sure to resample all instrumets to the most useful sample rates, depending on what notes the instruments need to play. As arcade music often use 8 channels or even more at once, I sample the mix of the needed parts, such as chords. But always take the time to cut everything to the most perfect memory saving and optimal sounding loops, to rather allow them to play in high sample rates, than having them as unnecessary long shots in lower rates.

Also maximise the audio with a hard limiter, (while having them as a 32bit sample, before saving them as 8 bit), to not let the instruments fade in or out in in the actual samples, but instead let them fade as intended later with Protracker commands. This method gives in return much less white noise and makes the samples more easily perfectly looped.
Old 12 January 2019, 08:55   #580
jotd
This cat is no more

yeah, C could have helped you to initialize stuff and all, but for the mainloop you may have needed asm. The A1200 can probably take the extra overhead in memory and CPU C needs. The A500 could not.

If you have complex stuff to do, you can always create some C code & interface it with asm or generate asm with it...

great work!