English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 23 June 2013, 09:29   #561
Zybex17

Hi all,
thans for the awesome work!!
I just downloaded the last version from Aminet, and installed it (copied under Libs directory). I noticed a nice speedup, and i was really happy, but after few minutes i noticed that all the icons (except for the Directory), appear ghosted. I'm sure it is not a library problem, but probably there's some setting somewhere to avoid this. I'm not an expert, and i'm Learning in this period about Amiga OS (i was an a500 user when i was a kid, but obviously, i used it just for games). Sorry for my poor english, and for this noob question...but i really need your help. I would like to keep this library on, because i like the speed-up it bring. So, please...please...help me.

My setup is Amiga1200 rev.1a with ROM3.1, Blizzard 030 MKIV 64Mb ram, Indivision AGA MK1, HDD40Gb...Classic WB 3.5 (maybe somethings wrong with CWB3.5 compatibility??).

Thanks you all!!! I'll wait for your precious help...

Daniele.
Old 23 June 2013, 15:55   #562
PeterK

Hello Zybex17,
I'm really surprised now at this behaviour of the deficon ghosting on your system. Ghosting should only happen for the fake icons which are loaded from ENV:sys/def_xxx.info.

But I did not check this new feature on ClassicWB (3.5). I guess there is no Scalos running, is it?
What are your versions of workbench.library and newicon.library. Is NewIcons or DefIcons installed? Which versions?

And maybe a screenshot, plz. Thank you.
Old 23 June 2013, 16:42   #563
Zybex17

Hi PeterK,
thank you for your kind reply! It is nice to have support for a free (and awesome) software...where there are expensive (and buggy) softwares around, where companies give almost no support... thanks for your efforts! Anyway, backing to my problem, workbench.library version is 45.127, and honestly i really don't know if there is scalos or not. As i told you, unfortunately i am a beginner, and i'm trying to study as much as i can. But there are too many things to learn, and it is getting confusing without some help. If you can tell me where o what to search on my system, i will do it. About the screenshots, no problem...i will do it now... Thanks again!
Old 23 June 2013, 17:08   #564
Zybex17

Ok, here the shots:
this one is with standard library

this are with the new one

My os is 3.9. I noticed another "strange" thing : if i try to move one of that ghosted icons, it is not visible during the drag and drop...
I hope to find a solution, because i'd love to speed-up the things up. I mesured the time needed to open my whdload demo collection : 16 seconds with your wonderfull library, and 29 with the standard one... it is almost twice fast!!!
I'll wait for some advices, hoping to fix the problem...thanks again to you all!!
Old 23 June 2013, 17:43   #565
PeterK

@Zybex17
I can NOT see a problem on your screenshots since the ghosted icons really seem to be deficons which means they should be 50 % transparent. But maybe, you just don't like it ??
How do the icons in the standard drawers appear? Like in Utilities, Tools, System etc.

Quote:
I noticed another "strange" thing : if i try to move one of that ghosted icons, it is not visible during the drag and drop...
That should not happen anymore in the Aminet release 46.4.298. This was a bug in one of the older test-versions available from EAB here. Are you sure that you updated the icon.library to build number 298. Did you try a cold reboot in order to replace a resident loaded version of the icon.library ?
Old 23 June 2013, 17:55   #566
Zybex17

Yes, i tried the cold reboot, but the problem is still there. Currently i ran the version downloaded this morning from Aminet (i discovered your wonderfull piece of work from there). Honestly i don't know what is the differenece between deficons or other icons. Is it possible to avoid, somehow, the ghosting on the deficons? I must be honest, i really don't like to see them ghosted. I have .mod files, .txt files, .lha files, .jpg .tiff etc... that appear that way, and i prefer full shining colours Is there a reason for this choice? (i'm not complayning, i just would like to learn somethings).

P.S. can you explain to me, or tell me a guide who explain about deficons, newicons etc... ?
Old 23 June 2013, 18:14   #567
PeterK

A deficon is a default icon for those files which have no related #?.info file supplied. These default icons are usually stored in ENV:sys. For example: def_drawer.info, def_project.info, def_tool.info, def_disk.info and are loaded by the icon.library if no real icon exists for a file. There is additional support for many more filetypes by the tool DefIcons. It has a preferences program allowing the user to define how the different types of files are detected, which deficon they should get and which default program should be executed on a double click.

I'm sorry, but atm the ghosting effect for the deficons is not optional, this feature cannot be disabled since so many users really wanted it. But of course, I could make another switch to get rid of it.

Last edited by PeterK; 23 June 2013 at 18:24.
Old 23 June 2013, 18:37   #568
Zybex17

Peter, thanks for your help. Now it is more clear. I was reading somewhere else, that in the Deficon program, there's an option "ghostdeficons = false" to disable it, but i guess that it is useless that i search for it, if you say that it is not possible to disable. Anyway, i have alot of files without icons, and for now i prefer to keep the old and slow library. It is impossible to make an icon for every file (especially for text, mod..Archives etc...), and it doesn't look well with ghost effect (i have my library of .mod files, try to guess how hugly appear the directory full of ghosted icons...). I noticed that without real icons, it is impossible to snapshot the objects positions too... so i'd have to do them, but too many files... it really is impossible to do...
Well, maybe we'll see a new release from you, with ghosting option switch someday. That day, i'll install your wonderfull library for sure (i can't wait to!!).
Thanks for your patience and precious help... best regards.

Daniele.
Old 28 June 2013, 17:12   #569
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybex17 View Post
.... and it doesn't look well with ghost effect (i have my library of .mod files, try to guess how hugly appear the directory full of ghosted icons...)....
Well, maybe we'll see a new release from you, with ghosting option switch someday. That day, i'll install your wonderfull library for sure (i can't wait to!!).
Update to icon.library 46.4.300 (299 was buggy, fixed)
The calls to GetBitmapAttr() for the screen depth are only done after changes to the settings of GlobalScreen. I hope this works reliable. Tell me if not. Furthermore some broken adjustments for the tolerance of the colormapping have been fixed and tweaked as good as I could do that. And finally, on special demand from a user, there is a new shell command available: IconGhostingOff

Last edited by PeterK; 28 June 2013 at 21:06.
Old 28 June 2013, 20:17   #570
fishyfish
Banned

Icon.lib 46.4 Problems

Ive finally got around to trying to use the new icon.lib (46.4), and while it for the most part works well there's a few things Im unsure about.

Firstly, the speed. Is it "normal" for icons (png/os4) to be so slow? Granted my Amiga isnt as heavily upgraded as some (a1200/40mhz '040/32 meg fast), but it's taking close to 2 seconds per icon when displaying.

Also, is it normal for it to use so much chipram?
Prior to installing it I had about 1.5Meg chip free whereas now it sits a little under 1Meg chip.

Im using ks3.0/os3.1 and to install it Ive just copied the C commands and libs (from the icondemo30.adf Peter uploaded a little while ago) my install was previously missing, and copied and pasted the startup-sequence on said adf image into my own (basically just making the few libs resident).

Other than these quirks it works pretty well, and icons look much nicer than before.
Hopefully these problems are resolvable, as they reduce an otherwise nice library to a novelty.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. Im running a 32color desktop and do have fblit installed.
Old 28 June 2013, 20:22   #571
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

AmiKit Real uses PNG icons and it's plenty of chip. I'm using CyberbugFixAga to have more ram and it lets me use 256 colors even. You can try it to see the speed. Lately I've tried changing also the datatypes, using Warp, but I don't see any improvement.
Old 28 June 2013, 21:38   #572
PeterK

Hi fishyfish,

hmm, why don't you send your post to my icon.library thread ?
http://eab.abime.net/coders-system/6...-versions.html

Did you already update to the latest library version?
The older version in the IconDemoADF has no embedded zlib decompression yet. The current versions can do the PNG and OS4 icon loading much faster now.
Is FBlit installed and is it correctly setup with the FBlit.cfg file in Prefs/Env-Archive ? Without FBlit everthing will go very slow and will use ChipMem.

You should also add the command IconsToFastMem before LoadWB.
Your system seems to be fast enough for this job, but you can always make the loading of PNG and OS4 icons faster by converting them into the OS 3.5 format. PNG icons just need to be snapshotted at their position and will be converted automatically then.

Last edited by PeterK; 28 June 2013 at 21:46.
Old 28 June 2013, 22:13   #573
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Excuse me, PeterK. What format have the png icons after using the 0S3.5?
Old 28 June 2013, 22:29   #574
PeterK

It's the standard Amiga DiskObject structure for the planar images, the tooltypes, the position etc...
... plus the OS 3.5+ icon format extensions for the color images (1 byte per pixel), the color lookup table for the mapping to the screen colors and a list of up to 256 RGB colors (24 bit each).

http://krashan.ppa.pl/articles/amigaicons/
http://wiki.amigaos.net/index.php/Wo...d_Icon_Library

Last edited by PeterK; 28 June 2013 at 22:45.
Old 28 June 2013, 22:45   #575
lukassid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Update to icon.library 46.4.300 (299 was buggy, fixed)

The calls to GetBitmapAttr() for the screen depth are only done after changes to the settings of GlobalScreen. I hope this works reliable. Tell me if not. Furthermore some broken adjustments for the tolerance of the colormapping have been fixed and tweaked as good as I could do that. And finally, on special demand from a user, there is a new shell command available: IconGhostingOff
You are the legend

Last edited by prowler; 29 June 2013 at 23:13. Reason: Added quote.
Old 28 June 2013, 22:49   #576
PeterK

No, I'm still alive... at least as long as I can feel all the pain.
Old 28 June 2013, 23:07   #577
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Clicking on your icon.library 300 it says version 299.

Edit: It seems to go perfect, and thanks for the PM

Last edited by Retrofan; 29 June 2013 at 00:39.
Old 29 June 2013, 08:32   #578
fishyfish
Banned

Quote:
Hi fishyfish,

hmm, why don't you send your post to my icon.library thread ?
http://eab.abime.net/coders-system/6...-versions.html
@Mods
Feel free to merge this thread with PeterK's icon.library thread.

Quote:
Did you already update to the latest library version?

The older version in the IconDemoADF has no embedded zlib decompression yet. The current versions can do the PNG and OS4 icon loading much faster now.

Is FBlit installed and is it correctly setup with the FBlit.cfg file in Prefs/Env-Archive ? Without FBlit everthing will go very slow and will use ChipMem.

You should also add the command IconsToFastMem before LoadWB.

Your system seems to be fast enough for this job, but you can always make the loading of PNG and OS4 icons faster by converting them into the OS 3.5 format. PNG icons just need to be snapshotted at their position and will be converted automatically then.
@PeterK
I'll try the latest version of the lib (the one on aminet I assume). I hadnt realised the version on the adf file was any different.
As for FBlit I did have it installed prior to installing your icon lib, but perhaps I didnt have it configured properly. I'll try with the config file on the icondemo adf and see how that goes.

Last edited by prowler; 30 June 2013 at 20:54. Reason: Replaced second quote with correct one! ;)
Old 29 June 2013, 23:19   #579
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish View Post
@Mods
Feel free to merge this thread with PeterK's icon.library thread.
Done!
Old 30 June 2013, 06:13   #580
PeterK

Thank you prowler !

Updated to icon.library 46.4.301, shadow text is a new option now.

Updated IconDemoADF.lha

Last edited by PeterK; 30 June 2013 at 10:43.