English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 10 November 2023, 19:19   #5721
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Usually the game is pretty good at telegraphing it by respawning enemies in the direction where you have to go. When you're stuck you're usually supposed to go through a vent to get to a blocked off area.
The one today was 'Go back into the water filled pipe you just got out of'. Granted getting out was to get a Half-Life suit that provides air underwater, but damn... that wasn't telegraphed well at all.
Old 22 November 2023, 16:44   #5722
MrAnthony2021

So despite it being a while since I have posted here I have been keeping up with my goal of beating 1 Arcade game a week. So on October 21 I beat Sengoku 2 which I found to be better than the first game. Still a good time al around. On october 28 I beat the in name only sequel to Shock Troopers, Shock Troopers: 2nd. Not a terrible game at all but just average to me.

On Nov 4th I beat Neo Drift Out. It took a few times before I beat the game as I wasn't used to trying to control a rally car with a arcade stick. Still a great game otherwise. Two weeks ago I beat Zing Zing Zip for Arcade and it was an average schump that certainly did its job if nothing else. Last week I beat Superman for Arcade and I certainly didn't enjoy this one as much as I wanted to. A little too repetitive in terms of game play but not something I will give a play again.

I've also been keeping up with beating more console games this month. On November 3rd I beat Captain America and the Avengers for NES. This was a game that I really wanted as a kid but never got. Having played it was an okay game. Not something I will ever go back and play as I found it a little repetitive. The next day on the 4th I beat Out Run on the Genesis and rather enjoyed it. A good conversion of the game for the Genesis IMO and something that was a lot of fun to play.

On the 8th and this was something I had been playing since the beginning of the month when I had time I beat Tony Hawk's Underground for the Gamecube. THUG is one of my favorite games to play from the 6th gen and when I beat it it became the first game that I beat on all consoles that it was released on. Only version I haven't played is the PC version. Some parts don't hold up these days such as the driving parts of the game but otherwise it is still fantastic to play.

Last week I beat McDonald's Treasure Island Adventure for the Genesis. I wasn't sure what to expect with this one but that was a banger of a game to play. The challenge of the game was just right the platforming was good just everything about it was top notch and something that I am glad I got to play. Today I beat The Legendary Axe for the PC Engine. Absolute banger of a game and hard to boot. This was one that I am so glad I gave it a play as I feel better knowing that I beat it. Everything about it was just right, the difficulty, the platforming, the graphics, the music. Just right on the money.
Old 22 November 2023, 20:00   #5723
Nobby_UK

Still Skyrim + Fallout 4
with 'UnlikelySuspects' (Hidden Objects Game)
in between.

Recently installed 'Halo: Combat Evolved'
and 'Hitman: Contracts'
not played either yet.
Old 23 November 2023, 00:44   #5724
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Been playing Thief Simulator 2. Or maybe I should call it Kleptomaniac Tycoon. Definitely worth the 20 bucks especially on hardcore mode - which isn't as hardcore as other games, effectively the game takes away all visual aids so you have to go full thief mode and rely on spying, obtained data and sound to know where people are. It is the most fun mode to play, but you do need a little practice first before you tackle it.

But it isn't finished yet. More content is still to come and the game really is rough around the edges. The save system is weird, gamepad support just doesn't seem to work despite the game asking if you want to activate it, the default keyboard bindings are odd at best, dropping things on a sloped surface will make the item fall through the floor and when you launch a drone it'll always face a default direction, it doesn't face the direction you are facing which gets really old really fast. Stuff like that. It still needs a spit shine.

EDIT: speak of the devil, the 1.2 update landed exactly today. Nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby_UK View Post
and 'Hitman: Contracts'
Oof, get ready. That game is brutal just like it's two predecessors. I think with Blood Money (the next game in the franchise) they got the difficulty balance right.

Last edited by gimbal; 23 November 2023 at 18:07.
Old 23 November 2023, 22:23   #5725
Nobby_UK

Just come across a weird bug in Skyrim:

I cannot enter the Arcanaeum and neither can the Librarian.

I tried to COC/COE in but it did nothing (Cell too Small ?)
Old 24 November 2023, 08:26   #5726
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Does this maybe fix it: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/...ve_college_of/ ?
Old 24 November 2023, 11:01   #5727
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

I finished Iron Lung. Fun little submersible horror romp.
Old 24 November 2023, 11:20   #5728
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I finally finished Ion Fury (base game) and started Aftershock. Really a better experience. The only gripe I have is the 'racing' section. I get that people do enjoy a diversion from the shooting, but I found the track design quite annoying. Using the vehicle later in the Half-Life 2-esque way felt much better. Looking forward to the final boss in this one.
Old 24 November 2023, 11:55   #5729
Seiya

Atlas Fallen
Old 24 November 2023, 17:47   #5730
kremiso

completed also 'game+' on Battle Chasers Nightwar

now the save says 242 hours, a couple of months of pleasant challenges

one of the the few all time games that i have completed two times in a row
---

on Amiga instead, a lot of whdload and jst stuff
Old 24 November 2023, 19:14   #5731
zenox98
Joy Division

The Talos Principle 2.

Awesome.
Old 24 November 2023, 20:11   #5732
Nobby_UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post

Sadly it does not.
Old 24 November 2023, 20:54   #5733
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
I finally finished Ion Fury (base game) and started Aftershock. Really a better experience. The only gripe I have is the 'racing' section. I get that people do enjoy a diversion from the shooting, but I found the track design quite annoying. Using the vehicle later in the Half-Life 2-esque way felt much better. Looking forward to the final boss in this one.
It is a little jank, but what do you expect in the build engine Reminded me of the motorcycle section in Redneck Rampage 2.

There is also an arrange mode by the way which injects the items, enemies and weapons of the DLC into the main game and does... things to the levels. Like mirror them which really mucks with my brain, but there are also corrections to especially the later levels so they flow better.

It is easy to overlook the pocket items but the ones in the DLC are really good, especially the Ghostbusters ghost trap is really fun to throw into a large pack of enemies. And it just so happens the DLC likes to constantly throw huge piles of enemies at you.
Old 25 November 2023, 09:17   #5734
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
It is easy to overlook the pocket items but the ones in the DLC are really good, especially the Ghostbusters ghost trap is really fun to throw into a large pack of enemies. And it just so happens the DLC likes to constantly throw huge piles of enemies at you.
Yep. Accidentally pressed return to throw one of those traps into an empty corridor If I didn't miss anything when you pick it up it's just a one liner. Could really do with a bit more 'exposure'.

The game with the DLC is just under 20 € in the current Fanatical sale: https://www.fanatical.com/en/search?search=Ion%20Fury
Really worth the money.
Old 28 November 2023, 21:25   #5735
Anubis
Retro Gamer

After finishing Lies of P, managed to play some strategy games to end and got stuck on TW - Empires

Lies of P
Star Wars - Empires at war
Total War - Shogun
Total War - Medieval
Total War - Rome
Total War - Empires
Old 28 November 2023, 22:12   #5736
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I played Escape From Mystwood Mansion which is a fun, well-crafted and challenging but ultimately too short escape room kind of game. I sunk 6 hours into it, 4 hours to finish the game normally (and I probably spent an hour of that scouring for secrets) and 2 more to get to the secret ending. And that's really all there is to extract from it, after that you're never going to play it again.

I do look forward for more games from this developer, because this really did hit the sweet spot when it comes to puzzle difficulty and fun. Many dopamine hits.
Old 29 November 2023, 06:58   #5737
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Started God of War yesterday and the opening is a good example of storytelling without exposition. The mechanics work fine (the 'press A to jump' one feels a bit restrictive though) and the setting is great. Will have to see about the 'villain' setup. So far it was a bit trope heavy.
Old 30 November 2023, 13:43   #5738
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I started Lords of the Realm (PC version - GOG)

I still remember how impressive this was on my Amiga back in 94. Not just that you micro managed each province, but battles were not just simple calculations, but real fight. DOSBox needed some adjustment because on default it was running bit too fast.
Old 30 November 2023, 17:15   #5739
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I was more into Lord of the Realms 2, I even played it multiplayer. But we got stuck in a stalemate, just nabbing territory from each other and neither really could outdo the other to ensure a victory. Fun game though, once you get to grips with the unusual mechanics.
Old 01 December 2023, 13:52   #5740
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I will replay that one as well. Its been years since I played it. (still have CD somewhere around, but nowhere to read CDs )

Last night got message that I rule half of territories, so game will be done sometimes this weekend.