English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 October 2023, 19:09   #5701
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Perhaps watch / skip through this video about the world design of Dark Souls 3 then:

[ Show youtube player ]

If you don't play the game you can still experience the most awesome thing about it this way. Exiting a dank cave or room and being gobsmacked by the vista that opens up before you.
Old 26 October 2023, 17:57   #5702
lionagony

Finished Premiere last night using save states, it's like playing a cartoon. I think it's made it into my top platformers on any system. I found the game got better and better as you went along and had such variety in the enemies and end of stage battles, great job @DanScott. There was so much character in all the animations and you can tell the team really put their heart into it. The graphics were superb and the music, wow, the music was so good at points I literally was shimmying on my couch. Had a great time playing this and was sad when it ended.
Old 27 October 2023, 11:28   #5703
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Premiere is really a technically sublime game, I wish I had picked it up back in the day.
Old 27 October 2023, 12:57   #5704
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I've been playing Dark Souls 3. Not hard at all, no. You just need a giant axe and the game practically plays itself.
Sounds abit like Bloodborne. At least, how I played Bloodborne.
Old 27 October 2023, 13:59   #5705
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Dark Souls 1 is more fun - just get the Zweihander two handed sword which is lying in a field of skeletons right at the beginning of the game after the tutorial section. 24 strength, 12 dex, should be doable for most character types before level 30. That sword upgraded far enough pancakes every enemy in a single hit. If not three enemies at once. Glorious, just need to get the timing right. Blocking? Parrying? Dodging? Nah. Just Hulk smash everything.
Old 27 October 2023, 15:59   #5706
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

I enjoyed DS1 over BB as well.

My go to weapons were the Zweihander and a lance that I converted into a lightning lance, as well as a wooden club. I also like using heavy hammers, because the way they filled the screen and flattened enemies were ridiculously fun.
Old 27 October 2023, 18:50   #5707
Fiery Phoenix

Purchased a 2nd hand virtual pinball cab so been busy sorting it all out (new PC installed) and setting emulators up (PinballX)

I am more experienced in other emulators so still lots to do, don't have to worry with 2nd monitor, backglass, Pup Packs, virtual DMD's, colorized DMD's, when setting up Amiga, C64, etc

Progressing and played a bit - Indiana Jones the Pinball Adventure is defo one of the best of all time/ Love it
Old 28 October 2023, 08:23   #5708
GWhizz

Powermonger,Cannon Fodder on my 1200, LOL on PC, Jumpman on C64
Old 28 October 2023, 15:34   #5709
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

LOL can (at least) be both Lands of Lore and League of Legends you know
Old 28 October 2023, 17:10   #5710
kremiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
...Never really got into Dark Souls...
same here

here finally completed the Far Cry 3 main story, i still think that is a garbage story, but ok it was another pending one and the gameplay works as always

proceeding into Far Cry 4, still liking it and doing extra main path things

attempting the 'game+' option unlocked in Battle Chasers Nightwar, when you complete the game;
usually i don't replay the new games, but the randomized dungeons and even more the battle system let change my mind
Old 29 October 2023, 06:31   #5711
ransom1122

Alan Wake 2 - Just finished Chapter 1. Looking forward to the rest of the game

I also tried out PianoVision with a real Midi Keyboard using Oculus Quest 2, Not too bad. But I dare say the passthrough feature on Quest 3 is much better then Quest 2's passthrough

Last edited by ransom1122; 29 October 2023 at 07:35.
Old 29 October 2023, 21:28   #5712
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I want to play Alan Wake 2 but I have to play Control and its DLC first. Because from what I've read Alan Wake 2 is a continuation of both AW1 and Control. Darned Remedy, blindsiding me with a shared universe.
Old 02 November 2023, 06:30   #5713
petran

dabbling in Retroarch, Dreamm and Scummvm on Linux to play games on a CRT computer monitor.

At least native 240p picture with scanlines looks crisper and brighter than the best shaders.

Lucasarts and Sierra adventure games look as good as I remember. Unfortunately newer monitors after late 2000s don't do those games justice and shaders look like smudge most of the times
Old 04 November 2023, 13:10   #5714
lucky6
My Custom Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Dark Souls 1 is more fun - just get the Zweihander two handed sword which is lying in a field of skeletons right at the beginning of the game after the tutorial section. 24 strength, 12 dex, should be doable for most character types before level 30. That sword upgraded far enough pancakes every enemy in a single hit. If not three enemies at once. Glorious, just need to get the timing right. Blocking? Parrying? Dodging? Nah. Just Hulk smash everything.
Dark Souls does have a unique way of rewarding bold strategies. That Zweihander approach sounds absolutely brutal—and satisfying. I can imagine the timing has to be perfect, but when it lands, it must feel incredibly rewarding to just flatten the opposition. I'll have to remember that tip about the stats for early leveling.

While my gaming lately hasn't been as intense as mastering the Zweihander's timing in Dark Souls, I've been enjoying the strategic side of College Retro Bowl. It's a nice change of pace, and managing the team adds a whole different layer of engagement.
Old 07 November 2023, 23:54   #5715
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Been playing Ion Fury, Aftershock DLC. A really nice addition with large and looping open levels and trickery I haven't seen in a build-based game yet, including a hoverbike which is reminiscent of Half Life 2. Also new weapons, ammo types, enemies and powerups. The gas grenades especially are really tasty, but also a new shotgun shell which is sort of a explosive cluster shot; really useful for getting rid of those annoying centipede enemies.

Definitely a far better experience than the original level set which had too many tunnels, offices and sewers and only the occasional imaginative level.
Old 08 November 2023, 18:23   #5716
RichL

On the Amiga - still Championship Manager 93

PC - Halo 2

Xbox - Starfield

PS5 - Nothing

Switch - Nothing
Old 08 November 2023, 18:35   #5717
Gzegzolka

I play Ion Fury Aftershock too, awesome game. I have noticed that DLC got higher hardware requirements than base game, sometimes they do crazy insane stuff in build engine like room over room.
What was Heskel goal in that game? (Main antagonist)
Old 08 November 2023, 22:51   #5718
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Take over the world, what else
Old 10 November 2023, 09:09   #5719
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Got back into Ion Fury for unknown reasons... I remember why I stopped playing: Running around in a level trying to figure out where the game wants me to go. I have that problem in other games too, but in this one it happens for often for me.
Old 10 November 2023, 16:58   #5720
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Usually the game is pretty good at telegraphing it by respawning enemies in the direction where you have to go. When you're stuck you're usually supposed to go through a vent to get to a blocked off area.

Okay having now completed the Aftershock DLC I will say one thing against it: the ending boss fight is a complete joke. I'm still kind of stumped by how bad it really is. The dude went down in 5 shots, I hardly had to move at all :/ I can't imagine they spent much time on that one, which is odd given how long it took to get the DLC out. A bit of a bummer but at least all the other levels are really good.