English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 31 July 2023, 14:55   #5581
A500

Toy Soldiers here. I didn't know I had it and gave it a go, and was pleasantly surprised.
Old 31 July 2023, 15:55   #5582
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Five Nights at Freddies Security Breach - the new and free "Ruin" DLC.

It's a more polished experience than the main game since it's more linear and they added a cool mechanic of an in-game AR layer to double up on the exploration and discovery factor. Buuuuut... the whole charm of the main game was to run around in a fully realized mall/theme park hybrid in all it's 80's synthwave glory. Now you're running around in a junk pile. That makes it a DLC strictly for die hard fans of the franchise who are aching for more tidbits of lore.

Most of the tricks from the original are repeated in this DLC. For example: it has an even more terrible endoskeleton "red light green light" section. Why they thought that would be a good idea, I do not know. It feels like the devs thought they had the right to physically and mentally abuse us by giving this DLC away for free.
Old 01 August 2023, 13:08   #5583
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Warhammer 40k Mechanicus.

I haven't played a turn-based game in awhile, and I'm enjoying it. Takes me back to playing Space Crusade on the Amiga.

Alien Swarm: Reactive Drop.

Fun little top-down shooter that's free to play. Great with friends.
Old 02 August 2023, 16:18   #5584
MrAnthony2021

So two Saturday's ago I beat Truxton on Mame. I only did one loop of the game but it was a fun little shooter. Last week I beat Air Duel on Mame and that was a lot of fun. Did both loops and found it a good challenge. On Monday I beat Truxton II on MiSTer. Like I did with Truxton I only did one loop. I found this one to be better game than Truxton and more fun to play than the first game.
Old 02 August 2023, 16:27   #5585
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Played both Truxton games around last Christmas. Took quite a practice/work to 1C both of them.

Nice to see that you are able to keep up with your schedule.

Did not play much last couple of days and it seems this will be theme of next couple of weeks.
Old 03 August 2023, 00:25   #5586
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Been playing Obitus. For no other reason than that back in the day I never really managed to get further than the first forest and I was just curious about the rest of the game. I think I reached the Eldon Mines (the second "level") exactly once and gave up because I got disheartened that it was even more mazes. I started with the SNES version because it has more sound and music but jebus that version sucks except for a few quality of life improvements. It's so boring because the game has no variation in the graphics, unlike the Amiga version.

I remember the mazes being much bigger, but except for the catacombs they're actually pretty tiny. I guess they just felt bigger because I lost all sense of direction all the time This is where the Amiga version has a leg up over the SNES version because it has more clutter items like coins and rings which you can drop on the floor to act as breadcrumbs.

It's a more involved game than I thought in any case. Especially in the Amiga version you have to do the trading game at least some of the time because you can't kill friends, they'll just disappear and most don't drop their stuff when they do so if they are carrying important items (like keys...) you have to trade for it. In the SNES version you can pretty much just murder everyone and get their stuff that way. Ah to soft lock or not to soft lock, that is the question. Also interesting that the SNES version is the one version that allows you to be a mass murderer.
Old 04 August 2023, 09:08   #5587
petran

Played House of the Dead Remake which is a disgrace to the original game. They made it so bad that even hotd 5 surpassed it
Old 04 August 2023, 09:38   #5588
Locutus

Playing Outer Wilds, adventures in space with banjo's.

Great game design.
Old 04 August 2023, 15:43   #5589
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
Playing Outer Wilds, adventures in space with banjo's.

Great game design.
Yes! Cool concept, played it too.

Starting with BG3 myself.
Old 04 August 2023, 20:19   #5590
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Rise of the Triad: Ludicrous Edition.

Ah to play Rise of the Triad with a controller, what a joy. Nightdive did it again, this is a near perfect package with literally every official level ever released including the shareware release and Extreme ROTT. And it plays really smoothly, pretty much any control aspect of the original has been improved.

The audio options are also really good, you have a wide choice of music options including the music from the flawed 2013 reboot - the best part of that game being the awesome music. But I prefer to play with the OPL soundtrack, it just feels more authentic.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 07 August 2023, 13:04   #5591
kremiso

started Far Cry 4, completed the prologue chapter
i was curious to try this, after having readed a lot of negative players reviews

for the ok just couple of hours into, im liking it
graphically, is a beauty, the different landscape than jungle is a pleasure for the eyes

the story seems valid too
worth a deeper play into
Old 07 August 2023, 20:09   #5592
Nobby_UK

Skyrim: The Gray Cowl of Nocturnal
Old 07 August 2023, 20:29   #5593
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremiso View Post
started Far Cry 4, completed the prologue chapter
i was curious to try this, after having readed a lot of negative players reviews

for the ok just couple of hours into, im liking it
graphically, is a beauty, the different landscape than jungle is a pleasure for the eyes

the story seems valid too
worth a deeper play into
Yeah it's fantastic, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Do the fortresses the moment you find them rather than waiting until you've killed the owner to make it easier, those fortresses are the top challenge of the game. I'd even just let yourself be spotted so you also get the helicopter backup waves. You haven't lived until you shoot someone in the head, knife a heavy from a ledge and take down a helicopter with the grenade launcher all in the span of a minute.
Old 08 August 2023, 11:01   #5594
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby_UK View Post
Hmm, might be time to re-install Skyrim with a couple of mods.
Old 08 August 2023, 13:17   #5595
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Played very little, only couple of games.

For RGL:
* Diet Go Go (Arcade)
* Boulder Dash II : Rockford's Revenge (C64)
* Vampire Killer (MSX)

Played bit Bloon TD6. Nice defense tower game that seems to be made with P2W (Pay to Win) in mind. Still huge compared to other defense tower games with new content being added constantly.
Old 08 August 2023, 17:32   #5596
MrAnthony2021

So on Firday I beat Galaga '90 AKA Galaga '88 for the TG16 on MiSTer. My only real experience with the franchise was playing the original when I started up Tekken. I found it a good challenge even on the Normal difficulty. Probably going to go and play the original this year on MAME at some point.
Old 08 August 2023, 20:44   #5597
Nobby_UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby_UK View Post

Good Looking Mod --- but a bit boring

and the voice on the Champion
Old 09 August 2023, 18:20   #5598
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

DBP60: Eldritch Village

Quote:
Eldritch Voyage is a new mossy jungle themed episode for Doom 2 designed for limit removing source ports made by various members of Doomer Boards, lead by 40oz.
Really good stuff again Nice balance between claustrophobic and open areas with a good amount of monsters, traps, and surprises thrown in.
Old 09 August 2023, 18:56   #5599
kremiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Yeah it's fantastic, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Do the fortresses the moment you find them rather than waiting until you've killed the owner to make it easier, those fortresses are the top challenge of the game. I'd even just let yourself be spotted so you also get the helicopter backup waves. You haven't lived until you shoot someone in the head, knife a heavy from a ledge and take down a helicopter with the grenade launcher all in the span of a minute.
hooked into
too bad also on my PC those annoying rectangle dark shadow glitches

on FC3 it was possible to avoid that going back to DirectX9

i'll figure out something, not a major issue for now

yes, i like a lot all the mess that can happen during battles
i had some laughs too, when some bizarre things pop out
Old 11 August 2023, 10:45   #5600
A500

I picked up Beyond a Steel Sky on GOG which was another pleasant surprise in addition to Toy Soldiers. To me it has the feeling and atmosphere of Beneath a Steel Sky and the transition to 3D doesn't hamper the gameplay.