English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 04 August 2023, 20:07   #541
RogerS

I'm currently playing CSB in dmcsb. I'm currently at the end of the first path (Ku) and so far there are a couple of things I noticed haven't been implemented correctly in this version of the CSB dungeon.

There's supposed to be a creature teleporter at 9,20,23 that teleports any creature that steps on that square to 9,19,24. In the dmcsb version the dragon could happily stand on the 9,20,23 while I was standing inside the fake wall at 9,21,23 instead of being teleported any time it tried to walk into that square, forcing me to back up into the junction teleporter.
https://www.dungeon-master.com/forum...163793#p163793
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/131

The pit at 1,33,22 (the one just south of the pressure plate that closes the pit in front of the Ku corbum) is supposed to be a fake pit, a shortcut between Ku and Ros. In this version of the dungeon it's a regular pit instead.
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/122

I'm glad to see you're looking into potentially improving the audio in dmcsb by the way
Old 04 August 2023, 20:21   #542
RogerS

One more thing I forgot to mention.

In the room on level 1 just before you get to the Ku corbum there is supposed to be a stone golem and a hellhound. The stone golem was there like normal, but instead of a hellhound there were a pair of gigglers instead. They didn't drop anything when I killed them so they were normally spawned gigglers instead of item carrying ones from level 7. I don't remember ever seeing gigglers in pairs before by the way.
Old 04 August 2023, 20:42   #543
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerS View Post
I'm currently playing CSB in dmcsb. I'm currently at the end of the first path (Ku) and so far there are a couple of things I noticed haven't been implemented correctly in this version of the CSB dungeon.
They are implemented correctly. They are bug fixes !
When you find a difference, always ask yourself if it makes sense before jumping to conclusions.

Quote:
There's supposed to be a creature teleporter at 9,20,23 that teleports any creature that steps on that square to 9,19,24. In the dmcsb version the dragon could happily stand on the 9,20,23 while I was standing inside the fake wall at 9,21,23 instead of being teleported any time it tried to walk into that square, forcing me to back up into the junction teleporter.
https://www.dungeon-master.com/forum...163793#p163793
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/131
This is purely intentional and a bug fix. The teleporter was originally there to prevent monsters from reaching the teleporter behind. It was very clumsy way.
If the dragon does not let you pass, cast a cloud of poison. He well get back.

Quote:
The pit at 1,33,22 (the one just south of the pressure plate that closes the pit in front of the Ku corbum) is supposed to be a fake pit, a shortcut between Ku and Ros. In this version of the dungeon it's a regular pit instead.
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/122
Sure. So you won't bug abuse and skip a whole way.

Quote:
One more thing I forgot to mention.

In the room on level 1 just before you get to the Ku corbum there is supposed to be a stone golem and a hellhound. The stone golem was there like normal, but instead of a hellhound there were a pair of gigglers instead. They didn't drop anything when I killed them so they were normally spawned gigglers instead of item carrying ones from level 7. I don't remember ever seeing gigglers in pairs before by the way.
What ? No, shouldn't happen. Gimme a saved game so i can see by myself.
Old 04 August 2023, 21:13   #544
RogerS

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
They are implemented correctly. They are bug fixes !
When you find a difference, always ask yourself if it makes sense before jumping to conclusions.
Fair enough.

Quote:
Sure. So you won't bug abuse and skip a whole way.
What makes you sure the Ku - Ros shortcut is actually a bug instead of intentionally placed there by the developers for clever players to discover and make use of? It certainly fits with the non-linear nature of the dungeon, full of secrets and tricks.

Quote:
What ? No, shouldn't happen. Gimme a saved game so i can see by myself.
Unfortunately even my backup save is right before picking up the corbum, after having killed the golem and the gigglers.

Despite that, I am able to consistently able to reproduce it by going down the stairs and having a long rest, then going up the stairs again. For me it then respawns a stone golem and 1 or 2 gigglers.

If you're still interested in that save, what are the best option(s) for sending it to you?
Old 04 August 2023, 21:28   #545
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
What makes you sure the Ku - Ros shortcut is actually a bug instead of intentionally placed there by the developers for clever players to discover and make use of? It certainly fits with the non-linear nature of the dungeon, full of secrets and tricks.
Well, if they allow skipping one of the ways, why ku and no other ? This makes no sense to me.

Quote:
If you're still interested in that save, what are the best option(s) for sending it to you?
The zone, if you can access it.
Else, attachment in your post, or whatever download url i can get to.
Old 04 August 2023, 21:38   #546
RogerS

Here is the save attached to this post.
Attached Files
File Type: zip dmgame.dat.zip (27.9 KB, 36 views)
Old 04 August 2023, 22:05   #547
meynaf
son of 68k

Can't reproduce. I roam around and there is absolutely no monster creation.
Old 04 August 2023, 22:22   #548
RogerS

Quote:
Can't reproduce. I roam around and there is absolutely no monster creation.
Go to the stairs at 1,33,9 (http://dmweb.free.fr/Stuff/3dh/csb/?1,33,9) and go down those stairs and forward a step to 2,33,8 (http://dmweb.free.fr/Stuff/3dh/csb/?2,33,8) and have a long rest there (at least long enough for one of the torch spells to have worn off when you wake up). When you go back upstairs again after a sufficiently long rest, the creatures in that room should have respawned.
Old 05 August 2023, 09:12   #549
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Go to the stairs at 1,33,9 (http://dmweb.free.fr/Stuff/3dh/csb/?1,33,9) and go down those stairs and forward a step to 2,33,8 (http://dmweb.free.fr/Stuff/3dh/csb/?2,33,8) and have a long rest there (at least long enough for one of the torch spells to have worn off when you wake up). When you go back upstairs again after a sufficiently long rest, the creatures in that room should have respawned.
It took some time, but i could finally get to it.
Argh! Indeed there is an error.
Monster generator had wrong type, should have been hell hound instead of giggler.

I have fixed that but it won't affect existing games. One has to restart for changes to take place.
Perhaps it is better that prior to a new release, i wait for you to find possible other issues.
Thanks for reporting.
Old 05 August 2023, 11:51   #550
RogerS

Quote:
It took some time, but i could finally get to it.
Argh! Indeed there is an error.
Monster generator had wrong type, should have been hell hound instead of giggler.

I have fixed that but it won't affect existing games. One has to restart for changes to take place.
Perhaps it is better that prior to a new release, i wait for you to find possible other issues.
Thanks for reporting.
No problem, glad I could help
Old 06 August 2023, 03:56   #551
RogerS

I've completed the CSB run now, and I didn't notice any other obvious issues.

Quote:
Well, if they allow skipping one of the ways, why ku and no other ? This makes no sense to me.
Allowing skipping all of the ways would be too excessive. Having a secret shortcut as a bonus to allow clever/experienced players to save some time fetching one of the corbums does make sense to me. I'm convinced it was intentional by the developers.

Having it linked to Ros makes sense due to the nature of the Ros path, and connecting the Ros path to the Ku path makes more sense than connecting it to Dain, since Ros and Ku are the two non-magical paths, ninja and fighter.

Please put it back.
Old 06 August 2023, 09:32   #552
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Allowing skipping all of the ways would be too excessive. Having a secret shortcut as a bonus to allow clever/experienced players to save some time fetching one of the corbums does make sense to me. I'm convinced it was intentional by the developers.
Totally sounds like a bug. Basically the kind of thing speed runners use to skip parts of a game.
Old 06 August 2023, 10:29   #553
RogerS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Totally sounds like a bug. Basically the kind of thing speed runners use to skip parts of a game.

Speed runners mainly use glitches in a game's physics engine. This is not a glitch, there are illusionary pits elsewhere as well.
Old 06 August 2023, 11:13   #554
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Speed runners mainly use glitches in a game's physics engine.
And flaws in a map

Quote:
This is not a glitch, there are illusionary pits elsewhere as well.
No, it's not a glitch, but likely a misplaced map feature.

Being able to skip a whole section of the game like this looks like a map bug. Don't make the mistake of ignoring your bias. I did that with the War Cry ability thing and Punch ability being extremely effective against Stone Giants and Rock Piles, while in hindsight it doesn't make any sense.
Old 07 August 2023, 11:10   #555
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:

Having it linked to Ros makes sense due to the nature of the Ros path, and connecting the Ros path to the Ku path makes more sense than connecting it to Dain, since Ros and Ku are the two non-magical paths, ninja and fighter.
Having it linked to Ros indeed makes sense.
Skipping the Ros part from the start of the Ros part would have made sense too. Or having the choice for the one you skip, with inability to skip several.
But skipping the Ku path and no other, doesn't make any sense.

Quote:
Please put it back.
Sorry, I don't undo bug fixes.

Quote:
And this is exactly why it got fixed.

Quote:
Speed runners mainly use glitches in a game's physics engine. This is not a glitch, there are illusionary pits elsewhere as well.
Illusionary pits are something, completely skipping arbitrary 25% of a game is something else.

Quote:
And flaws in a map

No, it's not a glitch, but likely a misplaced map feature.

Being able to skip a whole section of the game like this looks like a map bug. Don't make the mistake of ignoring your bias. I did that with the War Cry ability thing and Punch ability being extremely effective against Stone Giants and Rock Piles, while in hindsight it doesn't make any sense.
Many things are not obvious until explained. I understand some choices may look highly questionable at first sight.
Old 07 August 2023, 12:29   #556
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
And this is exactly why it got fixed.
You can speedrun the original CSB in eight minutes, so there might be more to fix if there are glitches and map bugs involved.

[ Show youtube player ]

Quote:
Many things are not obvious until explained. I understand some choices may look highly questionable at first sight.
Any other changes like that?
Old 07 August 2023, 13:17   #557
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
You can speedrun the original CSB in eight minutes, so there might be more to fix if there are glitches and map bugs involved.
The video goes too fast even with boots of speed so it does not look as authentic as should be.

Quote:
Any other changes like that?
There are quite a few here in this thread, and probably in the original dm thread as well.
Old 07 August 2023, 13:40   #558
RogerS

I have a feature request. Would it perhaps be possible to add the ability to cast spells using the keyboard?

1 to 6 (on the regular keyboard, not the numpad) would select the runes and the space bar would cast the spell, so for example I could press 6 4 4 SPACE to cast a Mon level fireball, 2 2 SPACE for an Um level Vi potion, 1 6 3 5 SPACE for a zokathra spell, etc.
Old 07 August 2023, 14:19   #559
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
I have a feature request. Would it perhaps be possible to add the ability to cast spells using the keyboard?

1 to 6 (on the regular keyboard, not the numpad) would select the runes and the space bar would cast the spell, so for example I could press 6 4 4 SPACE to cast a Mon level fireball, 2 2 SPACE for an Um level Vi potion, 1 6 3 5 SPACE for a zokathra spell, etc.
Yes it is possible.
It may make the game slightly easier but it's like the automap, nobody is forced to use it.
Timing isn't exactly good for a dmcsb release now as i'm working on some other project, but let's collect ideas.
Old 07 August 2023, 14:34   #560
RogerS

Thank you