English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 13 July 2024, 22:10   #541
Superman

This is an incredible achievement thank you for all your hard work.

Runs great on my A500 with gotek.

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Superman; 13 July 2024 at 22:38.
Old 13 July 2024, 23:06   #542
alpine9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by str0m View Post
Very impressed, just having another go as when I got to what I presume is the end of stage 1 and it stopped scrolling to I guess load the boss I just got a garbage screen but could still hear sound. CD32 with TF330 using iso burnt to cd

Joytest test good but you need a way to quit if using a CD32. Luckily I have a keyboard plugged in, also the demo mode
I'd be inteested if this happens often for you ? Only time I had soething like that with my CD32 it was a bad CD burn.
Old 13 July 2024, 23:09   #543
alpine9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Just out of pure curiosity:

If you removed all parallax from game, and animated bg objects, would it be possible to add, for example, 5th enemy, or gain more colors?
I am not saying you should do it, just curious if you would get something from it.
The repeating sprite background do use quite a bit of DMA, enough for another enemy worth of blits ? Hard to know for sure.
Old 13 July 2024, 23:12   #544
alpine9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaAmiga View Post
I'm not too sure if this is the best place for feedback, but, a couple of thoughts.

Is it possible that when playing 2 player, if both players choose the same character that player 2 has alternative character colours? A couple of times (esp. on the subway train level) my son and I got slightly confused about who was who for a second or so (we both played Kim)

Difficulty - I found Single player noticeably more difficult than 2-player, with 2-player feeling maybe a touch on the "easy" side. Is it possible to tweak any settings so the difficulty between 1 and 2 player is less pronounced? (maybe meeting them more towards the "middle" with single player being a little easier and 2-player a tad more difficult?).
We have already implemented alternate characters for two players playing the same character - but we need to keep some surprises for the full release

Also difficulty levels and general gameplay balance improvements will certaintly be developed before the game is finished.

We might even release some additional demo builds that include balance work.
Old 13 July 2024, 23:25   #545
alpine9000

And to everyone that has played the demo and reported success or failure, thank you!!

With an almost infinite number of weird Amiga configurations out there reports of the game working or not working are very helpful to us (especially if you get a video of it).
Old 13 July 2024, 23:38   #546
AlphaAmiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine9000 View Post
We have already implemented alternate characters for two players playing the same character - but we need to keep some surprises for the full release

Also difficulty levels and general gameplay balance improvements will certaintly be developed before the game is finished.

We might even release some additional demo builds that include balance work.
Awesome! Thank you for reading my feedback. The game is absolutely amazing for an OCS/ECS game, cant wait to see what else you have instore for it.
Old 14 July 2024, 00:00   #547
robinsonb5

Just tested on the Minimig core for SiDi128, and it runs flawlessly both in a vanilla 1 Meg A500-ish configuration and also with everything running at full turbo.

The game's a magnificent piece of work - very impressive!
Old 14 July 2024, 00:12   #548
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine9000 View Post
The repeating sprite background do use quite a bit of DMA, enough for another enemy worth of blits ? Hard to know for sure.
Thanks mate...

What I also find curious, is that every brawler on 16-bit consoles are also limited to max 4 enemies. Snes Final Fight port. Snes Captain Commando port. I didn't played Streets of Rage on Genesis, but from what I saw, it seems they are also limited to that number (someone please let me know if I am wrong).
Is that some magic number?
Is it have anything to do with 68k proc (although Snes doesn't have one)? Or is it a memory thing, and just a sweet spot for 16-bit machines?

I mean 4 enemies + 2 players are more then enough... just curious about technical side of things, and being noob, I'd very appreciate some quick thoughts, although I know I can spend whole evening in searching for answers.

(I'd like to hear opinions of everyone else (that are more into the subject then me) too).

Cheers to all!
I am so happy.. first Final Fight Enhanced.. now this...
Old 14 July 2024, 00:38   #549
alpine9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Thanks mate...

What I also find curious, is that every brawler on 16-bit consoles are also limited to max 4 enemies. Snes Final Fight port. Snes Captain Commando port. I didn't played Streets of Rage on Genesis, but from what I saw, it seems they are also limited to that number (someone please let me know if I am wrong).
Is that some magic number?
Is it have anything to do with 68k proc (although Snes doesn't have one)? Or is it a memory thing, and just a sweet spot for 16-bit machines?

I mean 4 enemies + 2 players are more then enough... just curious about technical side of things, and being noob, I'd very appreciate some quick thoughts, although I know I can spend whole evening in searching for answers.

(I'd like to hear opinions of everyone else (that are more into the subject then me) too).

Cheers to all!
I am so happy.. first Final Fight Enhanced.. now this...
Well I think the reason 4 is a magic number (and this is def the case for us), is as you say - 4 enemies + 2 players is "enough". Three enemies is definitely not "enough", so we optimise the game until it runs with in the "4+2" configuration.

If 5 enemies and 2 players was the target, it would 100% be possible, but you would have to make other compromises and spend way more time optimising.

Metro Siege is reasonbly well optimised, but as soon as it runs with "4+2" we stop optimising and move on to something else.
Old 14 July 2024, 07:11   #550
d4rk3lf

Thank you very much bro.

This answers my question.. it's not like a hard, must be, coded thing, but more like a.. soft spot... yeah 4+2 is amazing balance...

Keep up the amazing work!
Old 14 July 2024, 12:19   #551
Don_Adan

Ok, but why not for hardcore players "5+1"?
Of course only for special 1 player mode.
No second player possible.
Old 14 July 2024, 12:20   #552
MrDig

This is insane, great work! Just played it through from floppy on my A500 (with 2 diskdrives), loved every minute of it, triple A stuff regarding sound, graphics and gameplay. The hd version also plays fine on my A1200 (030).
Old 14 July 2024, 14:00   #553
trixster
Guru Meditating

Tested the hdf version on an A1200 with Blizzard 1220/4 8MB, works very well, no issue. It's an amazing game, imagine having had this back in 1992, astonishing!
Old 14 July 2024, 14:07   #554
alpine9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Adan View Post
Ok, but why not for hardcore players "5+1"?
Of course only for special 1 player mode.
No second player possible.
Guess we'll have to see what makes it in to the final release
Old 15 July 2024, 00:12   #555
samo79

I tried it in emulation under OS4 and I must say that it works really well...
I only noticed some difficulty in collecting energy, for some reason I find it a bit difficult to collect them, especially while busy fighting with many opponents. ...
Another thing, it would be really nice to have a scoring system, in two-player games this is often a factor of challenge too!
Old 15 July 2024, 10:12   #556
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by samo79 View Post
I only noticed some difficulty in collecting energy, for some reason I find it a bit difficult to collect them, especially while busy fighting with many opponents. ...
I agree on that point, alot of beat em ups you iirc just press the fire button standing over the item, but here you have to press down and press the fire button which can obviously move the player character off the item if you don’t get it right first time!
Old 15 July 2024, 12:31   #557
dreadnought

Greetings from MiSTer, runs just fine here

I don't say it too often but - wow. Brawlers are probably my favourite action genre and this one is simply amazing. No doubt the best modern-retro action game I have ever played, and also absolutely on par with old Amiga AND console action AAA classics. This game literally kicks ass!

-4 enemies are just fine, no need to crowd the screen more than that

-a few more breakables / pick-up-ables wouldn't hurt

-the shake effect is initially cool but after a while started to be slightly irritating. Perhaps best reserve it for big enemies, or put it in options?

-a modern malady: it might sound silly but I couldn't stop thinking that the 1st level would definitely cause at least some stir in certain quarters. Basically, you have a white dude beating up on only brown/black guys, and then a big white cop comes and whistles them in too. In our kerrazy world it is bound to rub some people the wrong way - even if it might make perfect sense from the game's narrative angle. Just sayin'
Old 15 July 2024, 12:39   #558
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
No please.
Old 15 July 2024, 12:45   #559
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
No please.

lol
Old 15 July 2024, 13:23   #560
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
[...] -4 enemies are just fine, no need to crowd the screen more than that [...]
BitD some games had different levels of difficulties WITH separate high scores. Maybe an idea for easy (3 enemies), normal (4 enemies), hard (5 enemies) solo modes ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
[...] -a modern malady: it might sound silly but I couldn't stop thinking that the 1st level would definitely cause at least some stir in certain quarters. Basically, you have a white dude beating up on only brown/black guys, and then a big white cop comes and whistles them in too. In our kerrazy world it is bound to rub some people the wrong way - even if it might make perfect sense from the game's narrative angle. Just sayin'
Who cares about modern maladies on retro platforms ? If it makes perfect sense from the game's narrative angle, nothing else matters.