English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 September 2023, 23:48   #5381
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by moulder625 View Post
Will this one work https://www.ebay.pl/itm/145137282023...is&media=COPY?
I can see.some cards have 2 (lukzer) ,3 or 4 (Ramix) PMC (those white ones) connectors. Does it matter how many are there? Where I can get Lukzer adapter?
That's the Technobox 1447, as Trixster says it doesn't have 3.3V support, I added a 3.3V VRM to mine and used it with a Rapture. So it had ought to work.
Old 15 September 2023, 12:40   #5382
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

I really hope something comes from the Lukzer design. Seeing that I bought carrier cards for like 100 a piece (have 3 of them) together with 90 for a PMC card (Or even less, I bought three MPC107 G4 cards for 30 dollar each). Nowadays the carriers are 300? ouch.
Old 18 September 2023, 10:32   #5383
moulder

Which one would be better regarding speed, compatibility, Sonnet Power pc usage - Mediator or Firebird (Prometheus) daughterboard on A4000?
Old 18 September 2023, 12:00   #5384
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

See the answer to the same question from moulder625 (also you?) on the previous page
Old 18 September 2023, 17:52   #5385
moulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
See the answer to the same question from moulder625 (also you?) on the previous page
Yes, It found out that I have second account on my phone:-) Everythings clear now, somehow I mister info regarding mediator vs firebird. Sorry fot the confusion.
Old 19 September 2023, 04:55   #5386
grelbfarlk

If you somehow are in a position to build the Prometheus yourself, perhaps it could be had cheaper than the Mediator. Also there's the part where the Prometheus is a sort of more open design. There's some possibility* that the Prometheus could support PCIe cards by way of a PCI adapter. That being said it's a bit slower than the Mediators. But it's still significantly faster with a PCI card than CSPPC+CVPPC. Since the GREX is unobtanium, and is even less supported it's by far better than that.

The Mediator has plenty of issues on it's own, whether you're talking about an MK-1, MK-2 or MK-3. But when it's working it's the fastest and has a good amount of variety and stability in driver support.

*This possibility is likely to never come to fruition.
Old 24 October 2023, 21:35   #5387
grelbfarlk

So... trying to get my build environment working again. Built some stuff just fine I think.
Trying to build some new stuff I notice problems with a missing function gthr_morphos_active_p.
It seems with the current MOS2WOS the includes for gthreads like gg/ppc-warpos/newlib/include/c++/bits/gthr.h gthr-posix.h gthr-posix.h gthr-single.h are pointing at gthr_morphos_active_p.
While in the last (?) MOS2WOS it they were pointing at gthr_warpos_active_p, which is included in the older libgcc.a.
I guess I'm wondering if this is supposed to be this way?

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 24 October 2023 at 21:47.
Old 24 October 2023, 22:05   #5388
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
I guess I'm wondering if this is supposed to be this way?
No
Old 14 November 2023, 02:54   #5389
grelbfarlk

If anyone has a working OpenXcom installation, I put a test WOS version up in the Zone. OpenXcomwostest.lha. It gets past opening Locale settings and ... loading datatypes and a whole bunch of stuff I have no idea why it's doing that, then says no datafiles found. Let me know if that's what you get too.

Nevermind, I'm pretty sure I know what I screwed up.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 15 November 2023 at 04:14.
Old 15 November 2023, 10:21   #5390
BULI

Quote:
[S]..OpenXcomwostest.lha..
Ooo OpenXcomwostest.lha

BTW.

Some time ago I reported a problem with music in PrBoom (WOS version - thanks for this great port grelbfarlk).

Music (mp3, or MIDI via AmiTiMiDity.lha) wasn't smoooth, but stuttered.
Today I found a solution - I change the Sound Blaster sound card to ForteMedia and now the music plays fine

Probably ForteMedia loads DMA/IRQ/SYSTEM less intensively than SoundBlaster
Old 16 November 2023, 04:39   #5391
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULI View Post
Ooo OpenXcomwostest.lha

BTW.

Some time ago I reported a problem with music in PrBoom (WOS version - thanks for this great port grelbfarlk).

Music (mp3, or MIDI via AmiTiMiDity.lha) wasn't smoooth, but stuttered.
Today I found a solution - I change the Sound Blaster sound card to ForteMedia and now the music plays fine

Probably ForteMedia loads DMA/IRQ/SYSTEM less intensively than SoundBlaster
I think it depends on the Soundblaster. There's the set that doesn't take any memspace and the other one that does.

That being said I mostly only test with Paula, and compressed music tracks always seemed to be much faster and generally better quality, Timidity thrashes the 68k too much.

If some program runs fast enough with PCI sound then sure, I'll use it but usually it means much slower FPS.
Old 16 November 2023, 11:11   #5392
BULI

Quote:
I think it depends on the Soundblaster. There's the set that doesn't take any memspace and the other one that does.

That being said I mostly only test with Paula, and compressed music tracks always seemed to be much faster and generally better quality, Timidity thrashes the 68k too much.

If some program runs fast enough with PCI sound then sure, I'll use it but usually it means much slower FPS.

Yes, on Paula (8bit stereo ++) sound is smooth in PrBOOM
When I had SonnetCrescendo 400mhz in moust applications and games, I had to use Paula (8BIT DMA in AHI was the fastest but sound was only in one speaker), but now on Ragnarok 800 mhz in most games like quake 1,2 I have 16Bit stereo++ 44100 or 22500 settings, and that make only little different compare to Paula (about 1 or 2 FPS) this still means above 50 FPS in game
Old 17 November 2023, 09:23   #5393
BULI

BTW.

If we, users of Sonnets, Apocalipses, Ragnaroks, Killers NIC etc, don't have a chance for system like AmigaOs4 or MorphOs for our hardware, maybe is possible to make a special library to emulate API of these systems under WOS?
Like PUP emulator on WOS.

Stuff from Amidog for AmigaOs4 like move player or emulators: PSX, SNES are pretty fast even on Blizzard PPC under Amigaos 4.1
Old 17 November 2023, 23:28   #5394
grelbfarlk

Quote:
BTW.

If we, users of Sonnets, Apocalipses, Ragnaroks, Killers NIC etc, don't have a chance for system like AmigaOs4 or MorphOs for our hardware, maybe is possible to make a special library to emulate API of these systems under WOS?
Like PUP emulator on WOS.

Stuff from Amidog for AmigaOs4 like move player or emulators: PSX, SNES are pretty fast even on Blizzard PPC under Amigaos 4.1
Yeah, Hedeon mentioned at one point that it could be conceivable to take the OS4 loader from MOS and sort of described in a crayon drawing format of how it could possibly be done.
That's way beyond my abilities but maybe after Wrangler is finished with WarpOS AHI and the flash driver, he can take that on.
Old 30 November 2023, 14:15   #5395
BULI

Quote:
Ooo OpenXcomwostest.lha

AmiTiMiDity.lha..
About AmitiMIDIty, a found execute only for 68k, but was exec for Pup/WOS?
Old 02 December 2023, 05:30   #5396
grelbfarlk

As I recall only the Amitimidity executable is PPC. The rest of it is all 68k, which ends up being pretty slow, but it works. After Hedeon got the SDL Mixer library working, that ended up being far less demanding and mostly anything that supported Amitimidity also supported SDL Mixer's Timidity support. But again with Exult WOS for instance, compressed audio with MP3 or OGG was even less demanding and sounded good enough.
Old 03 December 2023, 04:29   #5397
grelbfarlk

Quote:
As I recall only the Amitimidity executable is PPC. The rest of it is all 68k, which ends up being pretty slow, but it works. After Hedeon got the SDL Mixer library working, that ended up being far less demanding and mostly anything that supported Amitimidity also supported SDL Mixer's Timidity support. But again with Exult WOS for instance, compressed audio with MP3 or OGG was even less demanding and sounded good enough.
Yeah ignore what I wrote. The PPC part I think was just supposed to be the converter that takes a MIDI file and saves it to WAV using the ppc.library which is missing in the Aminet archive. That archive doesn't seem to have anything with PPC support.
Old 29 December 2023, 12:25   #5398
BULI

Hello after Christmas
PSX on A4000 and Ragnarok:
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 29 December 2023, 13:11   #5399
trixster
Guru Meditating

I like your background wallpaper, BULI. Do you have a link to that?

Disregard, found it

Last edited by trixster; 29 December 2023 at 13:25.
Old 29 December 2023, 22:24   #5400
BULI

NEW port FPSE
Porting done by Cowcat.
This FPSE is really fast, although many things are not working yet (like FullScreen, Sound etc), but this is only FIRST BETA
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by BULI; 02 January 2024 at 09:00.