English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 08 April 2023, 17:11   #521
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi Koobo!

Thanks for the follow-up!

I'll send you the files via PM / Google Drive...

Take care!
Old 10 April 2023, 15:03   #522
koobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygre View Post
Hi Koobo!

Thanks for the follow-up!

I'll send you the files via PM / Google Drive...

Take care!
Thanks, will have a look
Old 13 April 2023, 23:38   #523
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

I realized while mouse scrolling my playllist that it got filled with junk naming (like it caches the longest filename and it fills whole filename with longest) messing every songname.
If I double click a song then the list clears and all good (until I scroll or use the left scroller as well) where it fills it with junk names again.

The left screenshot is normal window playing, while the right one is the same after scrolling to the end of my list a couple of times (up and down) until this is how it appears :S
I don't remember having this issue in previous versions but I can't be 100% sure
Old 17 April 2023, 07:21   #524
DisasterIncarna

Quick wishlist request: Any chance of adding Spectrum AY Music support, perhaps via the DeliTracker "PlayAY" player?
Old 17 April 2023, 08:29   #525
koobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfilos View Post
I realized while mouse scrolling my playllist that it got filled with junk naming (like it caches the longest filename and it fills whole filename with longest) messing every songname.
If I double click a song then the list clears and all good (until I scroll or use the left scroller as well) where it fills it with junk names again.

The left screenshot is normal window playing, while the right one is the same after scrolling to the end of my list a couple of times (up and down) until this is how it appears :S
I don't remember having this issue in previous versions but I can't be 100% sure
That's interesting! Does "mouse scrolling" here mean that you drag the slider with LMB or maybe use a scroll wheel? Does the same happen if you configure the font to be the "topaz 8"?

The previous versions are available here by the way: https://github.com/koobo/HippoPlayer/tags
Would be interesting to know if the previous version also acts like this on your set up.
Old 17 April 2023, 10:10   #526
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by koobo View Post
That's interesting! Does "mouse scrolling" here mean that you drag the slider with LMB or maybe use a scroll wheel? Does the same happen if you configure the font to be the "topaz 8"?
"Mouse scrolling" means either dragging the slider with LMB or scrolling with the mouse wheel (no driver just OS3.2.2 support).
This happens with "topaz 8" as well (replacing all system fonts and HiP's fonts).

Quote:
The previous versions are available here by the way: https://github.com/koobo/HippoPlayer/tags
Would be interesting to know if the previous version also acts like this on your set up.
I tried previous versions (2.5.6, 2.5.5, 2.5.4) and had the same behavior so I though checking out other things first...

Removed all my patches from S-S and removed all WBStartup items didn't had any difference.
I then changed my screenmode from P96 (3.3.3) of 1280x720@32b to a native PAL 640x512@8b and problem disappeared!
Tried using rtg.library from P96 3.3.2 (in case it was the same issue we have with iGame and GuiGfx.library) but that didn't make any difference as well.

So... it's something due to P96 (dunno if it's recent versions) or HiP's recent versions as well. Will troubleshoot more and will report with my findings...

Edit: I thought of trying even older versions as well so... getting into version 2.5.3 and the problem doesn't exist in that version as well!!!
Maybe the next version (2.5.4) that had the resize gadget introduced (for resizing the window for first time) brought any intuition changes and that could be some sort of sideeffects on refreshing?

Last edited by mfilos; 17 April 2023 at 10:26.
Old 17 April 2023, 10:45   #527
koobo

Quote:
Edit: I thought of trying even older versions as well so... getting into version 2.5.3 and the problem doesn't exist in that version as well!!!
Maybe the next version (2.5.4) that had the resize gadget introduced (for resizing the window for first time) brought any intuition changes and that could be some sort of sideeffects on refreshing?
Nice find! In v2.54 the list was modified to handle all kinds of fonts, not just 8x8 pixel fonts. It should clear each line towards the right of the window after the actual text (using GfxLibrary/ClearEol) but it does not seem to work here. How about if you try a P96 screen mode with a lower amount of colors?

EDIT: What happens if you scroll the list one line at a time by arrow keys up and down?
EDIT 2: How do the "list dividers" look? Or the file browser "parent" item which is the top most item in subfolders?

Last edited by koobo; 17 April 2023 at 11:14.
Old 17 April 2023, 11:24   #528
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Quote:
How about if you try a P96 screen mode with a lower amount of colors?
Tried with 16bit color and no problem with fewer colors!
Since I'm on easter vacation away from home, I only have with me my CF under WinUAE where I can only have 8b, 16b, 32b where @ home I use 24b. I don't remember if @ home I had the same problem but I realized now, so I had to report
Resolution is irrelevant (went up to 1080p on 16bit with no issue). Color depth of <=16bit is no problem at all.

Quote:
EDIT: What happens if you scroll the list one line at a time by arrow keys up and down?
Same thing occurs.
Just to be clear, the problem occurs only where scrolling. If I double click an item then it refreshes and no issue until the next scroll.

Quote:
EDIT 2: How do the "list dividers" look? Or the file browser "parent" item which is the top most item in subfolders?
I don't think I understood correctly. If I open a file requester (like opening a module) going to root list which has scrollable volume/devices etc, and I scroll with the wheel, then I have no problem there.

Last edited by mfilos; 17 April 2023 at 11:33.
Old 17 April 2023, 11:47   #529
nikosidis

It would be nice if it was possible to search within a MP3.
Thanks again for this great player.
Old 17 April 2023, 11:56   #530
koobo

Quote:
I don't think I understood correctly. If I open a file requester (like opening a module) going to root list which has scrollable volume/devices etc, and I scroll with the wheel, then I have no problem there.
Sorry I was a bit unclear, I mean the file browser view like below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-04-17 at 12.53.36.png
Views:	106
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	78635

Here the top item has a white background, I'm guessing that it will not look correct with the problematic P96 mode.
Old 17 April 2023, 11:57   #531
koobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
It would be nice if it was possible to search within a MP3.
Yes I completely agree. Would have to figure out how that fits into the user interface in a reasonable manner, not super straight forward
Old 17 April 2023, 15:03   #532
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Quote:
Sorry I was a bit unclear, I mean the file browser view like below:

Attachment 78635

Here the top item has a white background, I'm guessing that it will not look correct with the problematic P96 mode.
This is how it looks (black background white text)

Ofc the problem exists there as well if you scroll up and down some times :P
Old 17 April 2023, 22:18   #533
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
This is how it looks (black background white text)

Ofc the problem exists there as well if you scroll up and down some times :P
Hadnt tested your issue myself till now, same behaviour for me, added a quick vid rather than a picture.

Think you said it might be P96 related? i havent updated to the newest P96 yet, still using one quite a few months old which wasnt glitching for me previously, so not sure whats going on, something to do with simple/smart window updates or something maybe?

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 26 April 2023, 22:39   #534
EctoOne

Is it somehow possible to put hip on a certain screen from the commandline? The usual PUBSCREEN doesn't seem to work.
I want to add it to my DirectoryOpus config and have the window on its screen. I could set it in hips own prefs but then it obviously will open on that screen as well. As long as as it is available at least.
Old 27 April 2023, 06:21   #535
koobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EctoOne View Post
Is it somehow possible to put hip on a certain screen from the commandline? The usual PUBSCREEN doesn't seem to work.
I want to add it to my DirectoryOpus config and have the window on its screen. I could set it in hips own prefs but then it obviously will open on that screen as well. As long as as it is available at least.
At the moment it's not possible on cmd line. You could try ARexx though:

rx "address hippoplayer; pubscreen DOPUS.1"

This will move the already running HiP to the specificed pubscreen.
Old 27 April 2023, 06:24   #536
koobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
Hadnt tested your issue myself till now, same behaviour for me, added a quick vid rather than a picture.

Think you said it might be P96 related? i havent updated to the newest P96 yet, still using one quite a few months old which wasnt glitching for me previously, so not sure whats going on, something to do with simple/smart window updates or something maybe?

[ Show youtube player ]
When improving the font support I ended up using an OS function ClearEOL for clearing the line after the text. This is apparently extremely rarely used in applications (because it's a very silly function). It unearthed a small compatibility issue in P96 which is what you found. I'm told it will be remedied in upcoming P96 versions.
Old 27 April 2023, 07:43   #537
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

That's nice to know koobo!
One more bug for P96 team to look after. Busy month :P
Old 27 April 2023, 13:51   #538
EctoOne

Quote:
At the moment it's not possible on cmd line. You could try ARexx though:

rx "address hippoplayer; pubscreen DOPUS.1"

This will move the already running HiP to the specificed pubscreen.
Thanks for the suggestion but for some reason I can't get it to work from within DOpus.
Just for testing purposes I simply tried using that command as a button when hip was running and nothing happened. But when I run it in a shell it works just fine.
I might need to try a different version of Dopus417 since I encountered some other issues with certain commands as well.

Edit: Well, I don't get it. I've put that command in a file and when I execute that with Opus it also works. Good enough I guess.

Last edited by EctoOne; 27 April 2023 at 14:05.
Old 27 April 2023, 14:04   #539
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Quote:
When improving the font support I ended up using an OS function ClearEOL for clearing the line after the text. This is apparently extremely rarely used in applications (because it's a very silly function). It unearthed a small compatibility issue in P96 which is what you found. I'm told it will be remedied in upcoming P96 versions.
Hey koobo, indeed I got a beta rtg.library today from Jens that apart from 2x bug fixes I already gave him, also fixes this bug with HiP and scrolling!

All good so far
Old 27 April 2023, 14:27   #540
koobo

Quote:
Hey koobo, indeed I got a beta rtg.library today from Jens that apart from 2x bug fixes I already gave him, also fixes this bug with HiP and scrolling!

All good so far
Cool