English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 06 December 2022, 02:00   #501
japandrej

So I finally went for a TF1260 - really happy with it! So much faster than my previous ACA1221 obviously.

Two quick questions - I installed MMULibs from Aminet to my previous WB CF system and I'm seeing longer boot times? It would probably be better to start off with a clean WB install but I somehow love this one as I've been using it for several years now so thinking what to do next...
Also after MMULibs installation I only had 68040.library in the Libs folder so I copied 68060.library as well. Not sure if that makes any difference.

The other thing - SysInfo crashes - both 3.x and 4.4. WhichAmiga shows everything fine (though couple mhz lower than setspeed but I guess that's ok).

Now the only thing left is to find a proper 060 with FPU without breaking the bank

Last edited by japandrej; 06 December 2022 at 02:02. Reason: typo
Old 29 December 2022, 15:41   #502
rabidgerry

Having been influenced by GadgetUK I decided to bag myself an LC060 and abuse it by overclocking. I got mine running at 100mhz for a few hours yesterday. Albeit in order to run at 100mhz I had to use the older version of the CPUSPEED command. It did not like being switched back to 50mhz. Had to reboot in order to get it to reset to 50mhz. Got a few other speeds going as well using both latest and older CPUSPEED.

Ran for a few hours and temperature after that was around 32°C. I have a little turbine off to the left hand side and currently still non fixed heatsink literally sitting on top without any fixing to the CPU.

This is literally just for documented behaviour. I played Genetic Species for a few hours at this speed and all was well. I could not test other games ported by Bszili such as Blood, Exhumed, DukeNukem simply as those required an FPU so can't say how the performance would have been with them as they wont even load.

Here are some pics.

Old 30 December 2022, 02:09   #503
crazyc

I was under the impression that you needed to use the cpuspeed built for the firmware you are running? Didn't think they were interchangeable or have I missed a new version somewhere?
Old 30 December 2022, 02:52   #504
alenppc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
I could not test other games ported by Bszili such as Blood, Exhumed, DukeNukem simply as those required an FPU so can't say how the performance would have been with them as they wont even load.

DukeNukem exists in softfloat version, and for the other games try installing SoftIEEE and see how it does.
Old 30 December 2022, 12:02   #505
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyc View Post
I was under the impression that you needed to use the cpuspeed built for the firmware you are running? Didn't think they were interchangeable or have I missed a new version somewhere?
I didn't get that impression myself, I just thought the newer version of CPUSPEED was a newer version. I am pretty sure I read other people went back to the original CPUSPEED as it was more stable for them but I could have dreamt this.

It's likely that I am wrong about it though and ignorance has been bliss in this instance. Older version does work for certain speeds for me at least. Including 100mhz. Bare in mind this is a rev4 LC060 and not my full 060 Rev6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenppc View Post
DukeNukem exists in softfloat version, and for the other games try installing SoftIEEE and see how it does.
I thought I dreamt this, so it does exist in a non FPU version. What is SoftIEEE? I'll have a look for this.

Was unable to run Doom without the FPU as well. At least not the 060 version. Only the 040 and 020 versions ran for me, but in jerky fashion and not smooth like I would get normally with full 060.
Old 30 December 2022, 14:27   #506
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
With new CPUSPEED and firmware 1000:

Value 58 doesnt work for me, the CPU frequency is still 50.

With value 60 after several seconds buttons and icons of WB do not respond to mouseclicks (windows do) and RMB stops working.

62.5 freezes my system.

With value Speed=67 it works, but goes to Guru after some seconds.

So I have to run my TF1260 on its native 50MHz.

Last edited by Predseda; 30 December 2022 at 14:56.
Old 30 December 2022, 15:07   #507
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post

With value 60 after several seconds buttons and icons of WB do not respond to mouseclicks (windows do) and RMB stops working.

62.5 freezes my system.

Well sometimes I select multiple speeds and I end up with a different number using either CPUSPEED. For example, if I select any speed from 93 to say 97 I still end up with 93.75mhz no matter of those I chose.

For the record I am using Alpha firmware.
Old 30 December 2022, 15:23   #508
rabidgerry

Quote:
I tried this and low and behold the system does detect the emulated FPU and yes the games I mentioned before all worked as in loaded, but how can I describe them once they loaded? Slide Show. That is the best way I think.

This could have been an amazing way around it for LC only users but whilst a nice idea in principle it doesn't really work to well. I do love that in Amiga land though people always find ways around stuff, it's a credit to the scene I guess.

So looks like I might be going back to my full Rev6 060 after I finish taking the LC for a joyride
Old 30 December 2022, 15:29   #509
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Quote:
Well sometimes I select multiple speeds and I end up with a different number using either CPUSPEED. For example, if I select any speed from 93 to say 97 I still end up with 93.75mhz no matter of those I chose.

For the record I am using Alpha firmware.
I tried those frequencies mentioned in readme. Not even one works for me and I do not want to try the high ones above 70.
Old 30 December 2022, 20:04   #510
rabidgerry

Quote:
I tried those frequencies mentioned in readme. Not even one works for me and I do not want to try the high ones above 70.
That's a shame, as TF said, it's a lottery with your CPU. Mind you I would have thought 70-75 was well achievable.
Old 30 December 2022, 20:45   #511
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

With previous firmware 999 it worked stable on 62MHz, that is something that annoys me a bit. My CPU is MC68060 rev. 5.
Old 30 December 2022, 20:56   #512
rabidgerry

Quote:
With previous firmware 999 it worked stable on 62MHz, that is something that annoys me a bit. My CPU is MC68060 rev. 5.
Firmware 999? I only know it as uh actually I dunno the old name, but I know the latest is called Alpha, or have I got this mixed up also ?

I'd have expected a Rev5 full 060 to do 75mhz. I know you said you didn't want to try any more of those speeds but if you were willing I'd swap out the CPUSPEED command and mix it up a bit.

May be I'm playing with fire here I dunno? I'd say the CPU will survive at least an attempt at those speeds. My experiences have all been very flakey. I don't even use the on board IDE anymore as I felt ehide was pretty unstable. I had it in a rom I built. May be I'll stick it back in for a laugh. It doesn't really suit my set up though as my CF card inserts out via little trapdoor behind the floppy drive and running the cable to the IDE on the TF1260 is awkward to say the least. Multiple folds in the cable required etc.
Old 31 December 2022, 06:04   #513
klx300r

Quote:
Firmware 999? I only know it as uh actually I dunno the old name, but I know the latest is called Alpha, or have I got this mixed up also ?

I'd have expected a Rev5 full 060 to do 75mhz. I know you said you didn't want to try any more of those speeds but if you were willing I'd swap out the CPUSPEED command and mix it up a bit.
actually in my testing Rev5’s aren’t that great going over 70 without being unstable. That being said some Rev 5 CPU’s with old Apollo cards have worked at 105 Mhz for years with heatsinks and fans so it’s really a crap shoot with each individual CPU
Old 31 December 2022, 12:43   #514
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
actually in my testing Rev5’s aren’t that great going over 70 without being unstable. That being said some Rev 5 CPU’s with old Apollo cards have worked at 105 Mhz for years with heatsinks and fans so it’s really a crap shoot with each individual CPU
Wow! That is impressive. I've an Apollo1260 and it's a Rev6 at 80mhz. I reckon it could do more. Very stable card. Keeping it in my tower project which I will come back to.
Old 31 December 2022, 17:49   #515
alenppc

Quote:

62.5 freezes my system.

Make sure that you are using the updated version of the CPUSpeed command. The old beta cpuspeed command won't work on alpha firmware.
Old 31 December 2022, 18:05   #516
rabidgerry

Quote:
Make sure that you are using the updated version of the CPUSpeed command. The old beta cpuspeed command won't work on alpha firmware.
Works for me. It is this version that lets me get to 100mhz using the LC060.

You are probably right though and I'm just playing with fire as usual.
Old 31 December 2022, 18:32   #517
alenppc

Quote:
Works for me. It is this version that lets me get to 100mhz using the LC060.

You are probably right though and I'm just playing with fire as usual.

There is simply no way to achieve this with the original Cpuspeed command, so you must be using an updated one.
Old 31 December 2022, 20:08   #518
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

I use this: https://wordpress.hertell.nu/files/t...2022_06_24.zip
Old 31 December 2022, 20:48   #519
chucsmom69

I too use that version of cpuspeed and its associated firmware and I cant get faster than 66mhz on a full rev5
Old 31 December 2022, 23:35   #520
alenppc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucsmom69 View Post
I too use that version of cpuspeed and its associated firmware and I cant get faster than 66mhz on a full rev5

This is pretty good for a rev5. Remember that the Alpha firmware pushes these CPUs to the absolute limit, in fact you will never be able to overclock a Rev1 at all with it.

But the good news is the LC060 can usually be pushed to 94/100 Mhz without issues, although active cooling is needed.