English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 10 May 2013, 17:32   #501
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
If you like Thorham, then you could try to calculate the number of required CPU cycles for converting 8 chunky bytes by using 8 bitplanes. My c2p code needs 504 cycles if I didn' make a mistake in my calculation (I'm not so good in doing that, but Matthey is an expert for CPU cycles).
Fast c2p on a 50 mhz 68030 takes about 1.25 to 1.50 frames for a 320x256 256 color screen, so that works out to less than 150 cycles for eight pixels.

You can read up on it here: http://www.lysator.liu.se/~mikaelk/doc/c2ptut/
Old 10 May 2013, 19:28   #502
PeterK

Even if these c2p routines are 3 times faster, they still don't meet the requirements of the icon.library. I would need 8 of these modules, one for every screen depth. That's totally unacceptable. The possible speed increase could be a few percents since the c2p code is only one task that is responsible for the total time an icon takes to get onto the screen.

Nevertheless, thanks a lot for your efforts to improve this routine and the infos.
Old 10 May 2013, 23:21   #503
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Are you really talking about icons ????
Yes, they are icons. Workbench 2000 or ScreenTab use images, AmiStart uses icons.
Did I say icons? Yes, icons.

Quote:
... I guess, what you mean are AmiStart PNG images and no icons.
They are icons.

Quote:
...What is your problem ??? That "it looks good" and what "is the same with it" ???
Hey Retrofan, why are you always explaining your problems in such a mysterious way ?
Just to know why an icon "looks right" and why another in the same place doesn't. There must be a difference between both icons. That's it.
"Looks good" is that doesn't have glitches (I think you can watch them on the photo), and "is the same with it" means "is the same with FPU". Sorry for my bad english.

Quote:
...What should I do with your AmiStart installation download? Destroying my system?
I think I haven't include any virus with it. Let me see.... (pause)... No, I didn't.

As I told you by Pm I only sent it to you if you WANTED to look at it or if you were interested.

You don't have to be offensive.

Edit: I've got (on the files I've sent you) in AmiKit:Utilities/Expansion/AmiStart/icons an icon named start.info and another start.infoOriginal. If I change the original for the other you see the icon without glitches (rebooting). BTW AmiStart doesn't seem to like to be started from the WBStartup as I've sent you, it won't hang (at least not so often by now) if you run it outside of it.

I don't know anybody else that can know more about icons than you ... And I believe at least a couple of guys would like to use the AmiKit's AmiStart.

Last edited by Retrofan; 11 May 2013 at 00:23.
Old 11 May 2013, 01:07   #504
PeterK

@Retrofan
Quote:
You don't have to be offensive.

Edit: I've got (on the files I've sent you) in AmiKit:Utilities/Expansion/AmiStart/icons an icon named start.info and another start.infoOriginal. If I change the original for the other you see the icon without glitches (rebooting).
I don't want to be offensive, but you must learn to explain your problems in a way that other people can understand what you did before and what went wrong like you did that now after the "Edit:" above.

I've tried out all of these AmiStart icons now, but none of them has a problem to be displayed correctly with my icon.library:

Last edited by PeterK; 10 May 2018 at 21:22.
Old 11 May 2013, 01:39   #505
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
@Retrofan

I don't want to be offensive, but you must learn to explain your problems in a way that other people can understand what you did before and what went wrong like you did that now after the "Edit:" above.

I've tried out all of these AmiStart icons now, but none of them has a problem to be displayed correctly with my icon.library:
My edit was after your offensive post about that my files were going to destroy your system. Later I thought that I have no other to ask, so then I've edited it just in the case that you want to help me, ... and I did because you've helped me a lot

Ok, there is no problem with your icon.library (and I hadn't tell you so), but there's a difference between both icons (AmiKit:Utilities/Expansion/AmiStart/icons; start.info and start.infoOriginal). One looks right and the other not (just with AmiStart).

This is just a question about the difference between both, and I will never find it without help.

Edit: The author of AmiStart says that it doesn't work without FPU on his system (that's why I commented about that), and also rtg is recommended, but he doesn't know if it can work without FPU, because of the libraries he has installed. I don't see (by now) big problems, and I want to try to run it if it's possible, and it seems so, appart of the icons glitches.

Edit2: OK, I've think I've got it. It seems it can be the size (kbytes) of the icons. Edit: No, just some icons work, others don't, sorry.
But it works now just resizing them smaller.

Last edited by Retrofan; 11 May 2013 at 11:55.
Old 11 May 2013, 11:52   #506
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Ok, there is no problem with your icon.library (and I hadn't tell you so), but there's a difference between both icons (AmiKit:Utilities/Expansion/AmiStart/icons; start.info and start.infoOriginal). One looks right and the other not (just with AmiStart).
Start.info => DualPNG start.infoOriginal => Not DualPNG?
Have you tried snapshotting the icons that don't work (while using icon.library not AfA) to convert them to OS3.5 format?
Old 11 May 2013, 14:30   #507
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Dunno, those icons are all snapshotted... (if the word exists) but now Im changing the icons with anothers from Ken Lester (basically the sames) and they look right.

Edit: Well, I've got it looking better, just changing the icons. Still I'm missing the main one, the AmiKit Eye cutted for the AmiStart button; I'm using one I've made with black background instead of transparent, but now I don't want to go offtopic on this thread.
I will try to find where Ken has the original icons for AmiKit.

In my last post I've added an image of how it is now here:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=887164#post887164

Last edited by Retrofan; 11 May 2013 at 20:01.
Old 12 May 2013, 13:21   #508
PeterK

Quote:
Even the author of AmiStart wasn't sure if it can work without Fpu and he was recommending rtg:

"Hardware:
- any Amiga with at least a 68020, without a fpu it crashes here, but i think that's a problem of my System coz i have patched some libs to use the fpu. I have not used any fpu compiler settings.
- its recommended to use a gfx-card and a fast system."
I guess, at least for PNG icons you will need an RTG system, but the cat eye alias icons/Start.info, which you sent me, is a PNG icon. You can always check that with every Hex viewer or editor.

Update: Check out those bad icons with the glitches on a truecolor screen. I bet the glitches will disappear then. If you think that you can use AmiStart successfully with some icons on AGA screens, that can be a false conclusion, because as far as I know there are still a lot of memory trashings caused by AmiStart when it is used on AGA screens. You may just have good luck and these memory trashings don't appear on the screen with your supposed to be good icons. But AmiStart will probably make AGA systems very unstable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HexOfStartInfo.png
Views:	171
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	35358  

Last edited by PeterK; 12 May 2013 at 14:27.
Old 12 May 2013, 15:59   #509
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Well, the proof that it works with truecolor skins is AmiKit for PC. I'm using the same icons and they are wrong here with AGA.

Is there a way to change an icon and not adding a black background?

AmiStart each time is working better.
Old 12 May 2013, 16:13   #510
PeterK

Quote:
Is there a way to change an icon and not adding a black background?
Sorry, but I don't understand what you are trying to do.
Upload the original icon. Tell me what you want to change and which tool you've tried to do that.

Run Enforcer on an AGA system to see how AmiStart behaves.
Old 12 May 2013, 16:22   #511
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

From the attached, Button.info is the one I need. It shows glitches. AmiKit.info works right (but it's too big and isn't the right one).

I only have tried using an image and converting it to icon with image2icon, but it shows a black background.

Edit: I've just tried with Enforcer, VBRControl and SegTracker. At first I've thought I hadn't installed them in C or something, but I had done. I can open (well, I'm on it as I've got to change the commands to open the programs, as the ones it had from AmiKit for Pc doesn't work here; Execmode="1" instead of "0" on AmiKit, and I don't know how to open others) the programs using AmiStart and it wasn't opening WinUAEEnforcer (the window with bugs). It did at some moment, but it was just when a sound on the clock (the hour) struck.
Edit: I don't say it's working perfect. From time to time or sometimes the bar, or part of it goes to the top of the screen, and all hangs.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Icons.rar (17.7 KB, 104 views)

Last edited by Retrofan; 12 May 2013 at 23:41.
Old 12 May 2013, 16:48   #512
PeterK

Reduced the width with IconEdit to 46 pixels, try that....
Attached Files
File Type: rar Button46x31.rar (3.3 KB, 106 views)
Old 12 May 2013, 17:22   #513
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Reduced the width with IconEdit to 46 pixels, try that....
Thank you very much

This is how it looks with WinUAE, HighGFX (1024x768), your icon, 256 colors, transparent bar (not rendered) and 75% transparency on the first menu:

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/3...trighticon.png

Edit: This icon.library of yours is wonderful. Pure beauty in those icons and fast...

Last edited by Retrofan; 12 May 2013 at 17:38.
Old 12 May 2013, 18:06   #514
PeterK

So, my conclusion is that AmiStart don't likes images for the bar with more than 46 pixels width, right? And no PNG icons for AGA systems?

Quote:
....using AmiStart and it wasn't opening WinUAEEnforcer (the window with bugs)....
If there are indeed no Enforcer hits from AmiStart, is that only while you are NOT using any PNG icons for the AmiStart bar?

If that is true then we should ask Jan to convert all PNG icons in his AmiKit distro into OS 3.5 icons to allow a safe usage of AmiKit on AGA screens, too.
Old 12 May 2013, 22:47   #515
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
So, my conclusion is that AmiStart don't likes images for the bar with more than 46 pixels width, right? And no PNG icons for AGA systems?
Really I don't know what the problem is with the icons. Some icons work and are wider, like the one of the Dynamite game, that is "extra size". It musn't be PNG: (Edit: And the glitches weren't only at the bar, I had them too at the menus).

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/5...parentreal.png

Even the two ones I've posted here, the one working has the same width than the other, and they are similar. Don't know why they made one PNG and not the other or what happens.

But the thing is that as you've seen all these icons that show glitches are right when aren't used with AmiStart.

About changing them I suposse it must be Ken Lester who can make that. I don't know if I can have enforcer hits with the wrong icons. I think I've changed them all.

Edit: Anyway I think that at some moment I will have to open another thread, as I can't make some programs run clicking on their icons at the bar or menus.

Last edited by Retrofan; 13 May 2013 at 00:25.
Old 12 May 2013, 23:11   #516
PeterK

You can also look into Ken's icons v2 or V3 sets which are both in OS 3.5 format: http://www.five-star.com/kens_icons/downloads/
Old 12 May 2013, 23:53   #517
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Thanks, I think yesterday I downloaded them all ...

I believe the only icons with problems are inside the AmiStart drawers. In particular (almost all the icons are here, some work but not many) inside the Phantom drawer that is the most used by AmiStart. I think Ken hasn't these icons uploaded there:
Attached Files
File Type: rar Phantom.rar (170.4 KB, 125 views)

Last edited by Retrofan; 13 May 2013 at 00:03.
Old 13 May 2013, 01:55   #518
PeterK

It seems that all the icons in the "icons_extended" drawer, including the phantom drawer, are PNG icons. When you are in one of these drawers then just "select all" icons and use snapshot from the WB menu to fix their positioin. It will ask you if you really want to convert them into the OS 3.5 format. Then select "YES ALWAYS" and this job should be done. None of them will remain in PNG format. The requester will not ask you again when doing the next snapshot. Fixing the position will convert all PNG icons now.
Old 02 June 2013, 15:51   #519
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hey, just thought I'd report on my tests with Classic Workbench 3.9 on my A600 with ACA630 @30mhz, till now using a 16 colour workbench with modern icons has just been too slow on an ECS, not now with your latest Icon Library it's really fast & responsive.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 02 June 2013, 17:37   #520
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
It seems that all the icons in the "icons_extended" drawer, including the phantom drawer, are PNG icons. When you are in one of these drawers then just "select all" icons and use snapshot from the WB menu to fix their positioin. It will ask you if you really want to convert them into the OS 3.5 format. Then select "YES ALWAYS" and this job should be done. None of them will remain in PNG format. The requester will not ask you again when doing the next snapshot. Fixing the position will convert all PNG icons now.
I missed this post. Ok, I've just made that, converted all those icons... but when using them on AmiStart they are always shown wrong. Really I don't know what happens with them. I don't mind much as I'm using anothers, but it's more curiosity.