English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 20 February 2019, 03:30   #501
amiman99

I have a question...
How do I use PARENT objects, is there an example?
Can I use PARENT to create "Shield" for my player. I want player to pick up an object and use it as a temp shield/protection.

I was able to attach one object to my player object, but I'm not sure what to do next. I see some options for "SET PARENT GO" etc, but I don't know how to use it.

Thanks
Old 26 February 2019, 19:29   #502
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiman99 View Post
I was able to attach one object to my player object, but I'm not sure what to do next.
Have you tried to just assign triggers to shield object that dies over a certain hits?
What I want say, rather then trying to achieve shield disappearance in player triggers, you instead, make triggers into the shield object.
So, after some collision - destroy.
Old 27 February 2019, 06:31   #503
amiman99

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Have you tried to just assign triggers to shield object that dies over a certain hits?
What I want say, rather then trying to achieve shield disappearance in player triggers, you instead, make triggers into the shield object.
So, after some collision - destroy.
I think I got it.
It's little too complicated how I did it, but it works.

I'm not doing collision with the shield, I'm just checking if POWER UP timer is active, if the timer is active then I can kill the enemy, but if the timer is NOT active, then enemy can kill me.
At the same time, I'm using the timer to show the shield when the timer is active, when it's not, then the shield gets destroyed.

My power ups are created later on during the game, so that created some complications.

So far the REDPILL is performing well, there are some instances when I see some screen corruption right before the game starts. This tells me that I need to save and restart the program.

I'm hoping that the Z sorting can be sped up to the same level before Z sort was implemented.

Thanks.
Old 28 February 2019, 19:58   #504
d4rk3lf

Thanks for sharing.
Can't wait too see what you are cooking.
Old 28 February 2019, 23:07   #505
amiman99

Quote:
Thanks for sharing.
Can't wait too see what you are cooking.
It's not what I wanted 2 years ago (my Android game Zombie Excidium), because Redpill does not like big sprites, but I had an idea for a different game.
I don't want to reveal it yet, because the graphics are not final, and there is a significant slowdown when Z sorting is enabled. I need to check if I just do Z sort on the enemies, and just change the Z level on the player, and see if there is a speed up.

Now, Redpill is stable enough for me to slowly work on it, so that's good.
Old 06 March 2019, 12:34   #506
Lemming880

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zener View Post
I will try to find what happened
Any news yet? Btw the character already stopped shooting in v0.6.10. Sometimes it stops immediately, sometimes it takes a minute.

Mind you, my game is already done so I can release it with v.0.6.9. However there are two other things I would like fixed:

- Floppy light staying on (caused by sound effects)
- Sound effects only come from left speaker. I would like a mix of left and right.

And of course, if you can fix the shooting, then I also hope for a faster version of redpill. But if you can't fix the shooting then I will release the game like it is. So please let me know so I can decide.

Last edited by Lemming880; 06 March 2019 at 13:06.
Old 06 March 2019, 20:36   #507
Zener

Hello,

in the version you shared with me time ago the characters stops shooting after killing an enemy. I found out it is because of the "Collides Wall" condition in the axe, changing it to "Collides H(orizontal) Wall" makes it work again. Please try it, it problem still persists maybe you can share me the project again.

The floppy light issue is a bit weird, but I think I can make it go away.

The playing in the left speaker is to leave room for music, but if you don't have music I can make a parameter or a new command to play the sound in all channels.

To make the game faster maybe you can deactivate physics in some objects if they are not necessary, for example in the enemies.

Please let me know if this was useful
Old 06 March 2019, 22:48   #508
Lemming880

That fixed it! I'm glad it was just a trigger problem and it wasn't even an essential trigger. I would have never thought of it. Thanks for looking into my project.

And yes it would be great if you could look at the floppy light issue and make all channel sfx. Btw. I'm not using music in the levels since I can't find mods that sound good with just 3 channels. There's often a baseline or melody missing.

I disabled physics for the main enemy. I already had it off for the other objects so I guess I overlooked it. I don't see improvement in speed right away but I will compare it with the previous version.

Thanks again!

Edit: after comparing I don't see difference in speed, it's the exact same. Actually I'm not so concerned about the game being a bit slow but about the game getting faster with every enemy you kill. And it affects gameplay, eg. if you run for a jump the timing is different with 3 enemies on the screen than with 1 or 0. But it's playable.

Last edited by Lemming880; 06 March 2019 at 23:19.
Old 12 March 2019, 14:27   #509
Jack Burton
It's all in the reflexes!

Hi, I finally started a little project with Redpill (v0.6.11) as a learning exercise (using WinUAE configured as an A1200).

I created a room with my tiles and and I could place my sprite with the right triggers.
The sprite can move left, right and jump. But the problem is that the sprite animation is not shown when the sprite is moving.

While moving the sprite is displayed "RightIdle" (even when moving left). I do not understand why since everything seems to be correct when looking at the triggers.

I even tried the "4directions.triggers" in the RedPill's triggers drawer but I still get the same result.

Some help would be much appreciated.
Old 12 March 2019, 19:54   #510
d4rk3lf

You need to place "play anim" action.
So, if you have in the condition "press left"(in the left section), then on the right (action) panel, just place action named "play anim", and choose animation for left you created before that.
Same for the right movement.

Hope that helps
Old 13 March 2019, 13:34   #511
Jack Burton

Quote:
You need to place "play anim" action.
So, if you have in the condition "press left"(in the left section), then on the right (action) panel, just place action named "play anim", and choose animation for left you created before that.
Same for the right movement.

Hope that helps

Thank you d4rk3lf, it worked !
Old 15 March 2019, 19:44   #512
Zener

A new version with some nice fixes: http://tiny.cc/getredpill

-Added new action trigger Play SFX L+R to play a sound on all channels.
-Added some wait time after loading sounds to avoid floppy drive stay turned on.
-Fix for texts being lost after playing the game in the editor.
-Fix for color value in HUD components being assigned to label color.
Old 16 March 2019, 18:01   #513
Lemming880

All the changes I needed. Thanks.
Old 17 March 2019, 23:09   #514
Jack Burton

Hi Zener !

I've just started to work on a little RedPill project which is a simple platform game. There's no scrolling, only rooms. These rooms have a size of 240x192 (in fact they are 240x160 + 32 pixels HUD), but I couldn't find where to set the screen size. It seems there are no option on the Screen Setup panel and as for the Edit Map panel, the Map width seems locked to 24 min. (I guess 24 is related to the size of the tiles ?).

So it's maybe for this reason that the Exit option (as shown in your l'Abbaye des Morts tutorial video) does not work for me. When my sprite reach the limit of the map (which is 240 pixels/15 tiles) it simply fall off and disappear from the screen.

The only solution I found was to create an object (door) which brings the player to the second room. It works well, but the problem is when I want to go back to the first room using this method, it brings the player on the first room but it appears on the wrong side of the map (left instead of right).

I looked to the RedPill Amigaguide file but couldn't find any explanations.

Any idea about this ?
Old 18 March 2019, 22:06   #515
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
Hi Zener !
I looked to the RedPill Amigaguide file but couldn't find any explanations.
Is there any explanation in RedPill Amigaguide file?
When I open it, I just see a list of commands, and not one sentence about what they do.
(I am asking, because, maybe. I am missing something)
-----------

@Zener
Any chance, for at least some alpha version of the RedPill help? Just one sentence per condition and action? So far, I've learned a lot by studying samples, and looking at release notes, and watching your Spanish tutorials (and I don't know Spanish, so it's not easy to follow), and by trials and errors.
Trials and errors are good method, but in this type of sophisticated software (with millions of possibilities), it's really not the fastest way to learn.
Or simply said: I can't test most of the "condition" or "action" trigger without having any idea what it's supposed to do.
If I have only one sentence explanation for every "action, and reaction" , I could learn basics of it so much faster.
And I am sure, everyone else would do.
Old 20 March 2019, 00:50   #516
Jack Burton

Quote:
Is there any explanation in RedPill Amigaguide file?
When I open it, I just see a list of commands, and not one sentence about what they do.
(I am asking, because, maybe. I am missing something)
-----------
No, of course. As you said there is only a list of commands. That's why I said that I couldn't find any explanations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf
Trials and errors are good method, but in this type of sophisticated software (with millions of possibilities), it's really not the fastest way to learn.
Or simply said: I can't test most of the "condition" or "action" trigger without having any idea what it's supposed to do.
Yes, without any documentation it's really difficult to figure out how things work.
In my case last week-end I spent an afternoon trying a lot of trigger combinations, some worked quite well but many simply didn't work or didn't change anything...

By the way it's even hard to get the same results as seen in some RedPill tutorial videos since some settings do not behave like we can see on the video (for example the Exit option in a game without scrolling).

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf
If I have only one sentence explanation for every "action, and reaction" , I could learn basics of it so much faster.
And I am sure, everyone else would do.
Sure !
Old 20 March 2019, 23:40   #517
Zener

Sorry, documentation is something I have to work on seriously.

About the limits to have smaller screens, you need to change the camera limit, in tiles.
Old 21 March 2019, 22:00   #518
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zener View Post
About the limits to have smaller screens, you need to change the camera limit, in tiles.
I tried again with a new map which size is 10 x 10 tiles (160 x 160 pixels) by setting the Camera xy Limit to 10 and 10. The level Exit is set to 0 so the sprite should appear in the left side of the screen when it reaches the map limit on the right. But it does not work. The sprite just falls off...

Another thing is that the Map Width is set to 24, and it's impossible to set it under 24 (seems it's the minimal size). Could this problem be related to the Map Width (24) not corresponding to the Camera Limit (x10 and y10)?

I made a little video about it.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 24 March 2019, 19:40   #519
Zener

I think you need to add a trigger to your player object, with condition always and action Check Exits. I think this trigger is what is missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
I tried again with a new map which size is 10 x 10 tiles (160 x 160 pixels) by setting the Camera xy Limit to 10 and 10. The level Exit is set to 0 so the sprite should appear in the left side of the screen when it reaches the map limit on the right. But it does not work. The sprite just falls off...

Another thing is that the Map Width is set to 24, and it's impossible to set it under 24 (seems it's the minimal size). Could this problem be related to the Map Width (24) not corresponding to the Camera Limit (x10 and y10)?

I made a little video about it.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 24 March 2019, 19:42   #520
Zener

I am thinking on how to do proper documentation, the amiga guide format certainly limits my speed a lot.

What do you think about something web based like this?
https://trackerhero.wixsite.com/redpill/blank-page