English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 April 2017, 12:21   #481
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Heard anything back yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esc View Post
I actually sent one (free of charge) to Ratte for reverse engineering. I hope he can figure some stuff out
Old 19 April 2017, 12:25   #482
jack-3d
kLiker

Guys is Heretic 2 (Demo/Full) working in GL mode for you? Its is freezing to me either I use Gregs or Hedeons powerpc.library. In software it works fine, but under MiniGL when new game or tutorial screen is loaded and I try to move it freezes and picture stay frozen until I do manual reset.

Blitzquake 5.7 and Quake2 in MiniGL works fine and stable. Only Heretic is unstable
Old 19 April 2017, 16:07   #483
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
It could be that yeah, the on the fly patching is running Sysspeed from Sonnet Memory. I'm getting 2.29 MIPS on the 68k MIPS test. It didn't do this with the executable patched for sonnet.library as you can see from my screenshot many pages back.

AmigaAMP when launching has always had a long pause and that as I recall was render.library loading. If I broke it by renaming render_wos.library to render.library it would just fail, which actually made AmigaAMP load quicker. And it didn't seem to actually need render.library.
Ok I did a clean install last night of OS 3.9 BB2 and just the aminet release of the sonnet stuff using powerpc.library.

SysSpeed still reports about 2 MIPS for my 060, and the pause is still there when starting AmigaAMP 2.25. I'll try your suggestion to rename render.library.
Old 19 April 2017, 16:51   #484
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenHD View Post
Ok I did a clean install last night of OS 3.9 BB2 and just the aminet release of the sonnet stuff using powerpc.library.

SysSpeed still reports about 2 MIPS for my 060, and the pause is still there when starting AmigaAMP 2.25. I'll try your suggestion to rename render.library.
See my earlier comment regarding SysSpeed. It takes a manual patch to prevent this.
Old 19 April 2017, 16:54   #485
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack-3d View Post
Guys is Heretic 2 (Demo/Full) working in GL mode for you? Its is freezing to me either I use Gregs or Hedeons powerpc.library. In software it works fine, but under MiniGL when new game or tutorial screen is loaded and I try to move it freezes and picture stay frozen until I do manual reset.

Blitzquake 5.7 and Quake2 in MiniGL works fine and stable. Only Heretic is unstable
I need to look at this. But you also say that FreeSpace and Shogo are not working for you. I guess it could be 060 library related. The PCI memory really needs to be cache inhibited for the 68K CPU. (so 0x70000000-0x80000000).
Old 19 April 2017, 17:26   #486
jack-3d
kLiker

I am testing this with one HDD on two setups once with 040/40 and once with 060/50. Of course I am changing 68040 library to bunch of 68060 libraries anytime I swap disk from Amiga to Amiga.

I am just doing a new article, where I compare Cyberstorm PPC equipped Amiga with Sonnet G3@500 (I have two identical monitors next to each other) and Heretic2 stopped me ( [ Show youtube player ]). Also it would be excellent if I could add Shogo and Freespace to the article, as both games works fine on the CyberstormPPC setup.

Thank you Hedeon in advance (I am all the time available for you on Skype) ;o)
Old 19 April 2017, 17:36   #487
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

They all work fine on my setup, btw. Heretic, Shogo and FreeSpace. Rename hyperionvideo.library to something else. See if that helps.
Old 19 April 2017, 19:29   #488
esc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
Heard anything back yet?
Unfortunately no, but I don't expect it to be a quick process. I also don't feel like Ratte owes me anything (like an explanation or status update); it was a donation in good faith.

Old 19 April 2017, 19:29   #489
amigoun

I remember when I tried to run Freespace demo every thing was very very slow, loading and then mouse movement in menus, sound etc. I had to give up.
Is there any guide how to inhibit the cache for the 68k? I have CSMK2 060, maybe that will help.
Old 19 April 2017, 20:22   #490
jack-3d
kLiker

Freespace was not running for me on the Sonnet.library system, I have installed full game version now and tested. Games works, but its veeeeery slow. I have glitches in the main screen menu (hangar screen), fonts are not readable and I even the models showroom is very slowe and models does not move smoothly.

I will switch the disk to 040 Amiga now and see how Heretic, Shogo and Freespace works under 68040 library.
Old 19 April 2017, 23:47   #491
grelbfarlk

Freespace seems to work fine for me and smooth. I tried Heretic 2 for a while and it did freeze up for me too. HDD light on, couldn't switch back to native screen.

Here's my freespace.prefs:
Code:
[Caches]

GfxCache = 20027802
	SoundCache = 3040870

[Config]

AHIFragmentSize = 2048
	AHIFrequency = 22050 
	AHIUnit = 0
	Cd_Device = cybppc.device
	Cd_Unit = 3
	ComputerSpeed = 3
	ConnectionSpeed = ISDN
	DisableMusic = 0
	DisableVoice = 0
	EnableAudioStreaming = 1
	FlightCenterX = 512
	FlightCenterY = 768
	FlightMaxX = 4096
	FlightMaxY = 4864
	FlightMinX = -512
	FlightMinY = -768
	FlightSwapAxis = 1
	FlightSwapDirection = 0
	Gamma = 1.80
	Language = english
	LastPlayer = Grelbfarlk
	LowMem = 0
	NetworkConnection = LAN
	ScaleDownTextures = 0
	Soundcard = AHI
	Subspace = 1
	Videocard = Warp3D
	VideoDir = Freespace_1:data/Movies

[MasterTracker]

Login = 
	Password = 

[Version]

Build = 0
	Major = 1
	Minor = 6

[Warp3D]

CanBlendOneOne = 
	CloseWorkbench = 0
	MinimumBitDepth = 16
	NoAlphaTexture = 1
	NoBlendOneOne = 
	NoChromaTest = 1
	NoHidePointer = 0
	NumBuffers = 2
	RestrictTextureHeight = 
	RestrictTextureWidth = 
	TextureCacheSize = 8
	Windowed = 0
Old 20 April 2017, 02:09   #492
grelbfarlk

Shogo seems to work, in the first mission it did hang or freeze but it eventually recovered and I was able to keep playing, if I had to guess it I would say it had something to do with sound, this happened a couple more times but it never actually froze unrecoverably. I had audio quality set to high in the in-game options I changed that to low and ran around the base for a while and it hasn't happened again yet.

Maybe playing with the sound cache settings could improve things.

Also the AmigaAMP hang on start issue it wasn't just render.library that I renamed it was guigfx.library too, again I had the _wos version which failed. I see that when you initially launch it, it does seem to do nothing for a while but then when the progress bar comes up it starts in a reasonable amount of time.
Old 20 April 2017, 04:01   #493
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post

Also the AmigaAMP hang on start issue it wasn't just render.library that I renamed it was guigfx.library too, again I had the _wos version which failed. I see that when you initially launch it, it does seem to do nothing for a while but then when the progress bar comes up it starts in a reasonable amount of time.
Still getting slow down (on startup) of Scout_OS3, AmigaAMP 2.25. I renamed both render.library and guigfx.library, but it didn't seem to help.

I have 64MB on the sonnet.

Also, has anyone tried PicShow? The WOS version of PicShow doesn't work on my system. It freezes after loading the first jpeg/png I try. I think the program tries to pre-load the next image, but obviously it is failing.

Thanks
Darren

Last edited by DarrenHD; 20 April 2017 at 05:17.
Old 20 April 2017, 08:34   #494
jack-3d
kLiker

Guys can you please tell me also your Shogo settings? I have already set low quality and AHI 0 (set to DMA), but still Shogo freezes just before loading Menu items and that "morphing background".
Old 20 April 2017, 11:14   #495
starship

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenHD View Post
Still getting slow down (on startup) of Scout_OS3, AmigaAMP 2.25. I renamed both render.library and guigfx.library, but it didn't seem to help.

I have 64MB on the sonnet.

Also, has anyone tried PicShow? The WOS version of PicShow doesn't work on my system. It freezes after loading the first jpeg/png I try. I think the program tries to pre-load the next image, but obviously it is failing.

Thanks
Darren
Picshow wos works on me with no freezing.
Old 20 April 2017, 11:15   #496
starship

Picshow wos works on me with no freezing and loadings other images with no problem.
Old 20 April 2017, 16:50   #497
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

I've noticed the hang too in H2. It is actually an infinite loop where the 68K task of Heretic II gets stuck into. I'm looking to fix this, but it has to do with the shared signal system (TC_SIGALLOC is shared between 68K and PPC) and takes some time to solve.
Old 20 April 2017, 17:01   #498
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Who's using what 060 libs btw?
Old 20 April 2017, 17:21   #499
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
Who's using what 060 libs btw?
I'm using the latest phase5 060 library with my MK2.

I've also clocked it now at 50MHz to avoid any overclocking issues.

So that would be 68060.library version 46.7 from http://www.a1k.org phase5 support page last official release from phase5.

I'm just thinking out loud here. The CS PPC has shared memory between 68k and PPC on the same board, same address range I assume, whereas the Sonnet has it's own local memory and then there is also memory for the 68k on the accelerator...wondering how that all works out, and how 68k stuff could get executed from the ppc memory? :-/

Also on my Voodoo4 I have 16MB of PCIDMA memory....not sure how that all works, but I'm assuming it's way more PCIDMA memory than a Voodoo3 which may have only 1-2 MB memory allocated for that? Could that be an issue?

Darren
Old 20 April 2017, 20:03   #500
jack-3d
kLiker

I am also allocating 12 MB for Voodoo (20 MB remains for pcidma memory), because when I switch from Voodoo4 to Voodoo3 system (for testing purposes) I usually forget to change memory value.