English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 February 2009, 12:55   #481
Gordon
Settler

Thanks TheCorfiot. I just realease there are two types CF adapters on ebay. 44pin and 40 pin. Which one do I get?
Old 19 February 2009, 13:00   #482
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonbennett View Post
Thanks TheCorfiot. I just realease there are two types CF adapters on ebay. 44pin and 40 pin. Which one do I get?

Well If you want to use your 44pin to 44pin IDE cable as used with the std 2.5" HD then the 44pin CF adapter will be fine.

A 40Pin CF interface will need a 44 to 40 pin cable & you will need to supply power from somewhere?

If you have plans to fit a CDROM to your A1200 & are considering the 4way buffered IDE interface then either 40 or 44 CF adapter will work as the Interface board has provision for both types.

I would go with the 44 CF as you can use it now & also later if you upgrade to the buffered IDE Interface

Hope this helps

TC

OH and get the cable or "Male" connecting version... the ones that plug straight into the IDE Port on the A1200 will restrict any future upgrades such as IDE or Indivision
Old 19 February 2009, 13:21   #483
Gordon
Settler

Thanks again, now ordered. It was for my 600, so for standard use and no future upgrades so i got the 44pin CF adpater male
Old 19 February 2009, 13:26   #484
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

Quote:
Thanks again, now ordered. It was for my 600, so for standard use and no future upgrades so i got the 44pin CF adpater male
Wahay.. Nice & easy just plug & play, Dont forget you can use WinUAE (more than just an Emulator) to prep format & load your CF with software then simply just transfer to the A600

TC
Old 19 February 2009, 13:36   #485
Gordon
Settler

I read that TC, look forward to trying. Makes things so much easier.
Old 23 February 2009, 19:38   #486
Gordon
Settler

I have got my kit today. I put my CF card and opened win uae. I added as a harddrive directory (f-drive) now when i go to HD TOOL BOX it doesnt see it. How do i format to AMiga File system?
Old 23 February 2009, 21:05   #487
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

Quote:
I have got my kit today. I put my CF card and opened win uae. I added as a harddrive directory (f-drive) now when i go to HD TOOL BOX it doesnt see it. How do i format to AMiga File system?

Nope....
Add it as a "Hard Drive" attached to the IDE0 interface
Old 23 February 2009, 21:26   #488
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

And remove the FAT partition using Disk Management before using it in WinUAE. Windows may get confused when someone corrupts the FAT partion

(and you most likely need magic command line parameter, check readme.txt)
Old 23 February 2009, 22:11   #489
Gordon
Settler

brilliant! all sorted now many thanks all.
Old 04 March 2009, 07:41   #490
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrah Brother View Post
While it works fine, I have noticed the HD LED no longer flashes since I fitted this CF set up. I assume there must be some feedback signal it is not getting, I suspect its from the hard drives internal spin controller or motor, which the compact flash drive does not have.
There is a pin in the ide connector for the access LED. Some CF adapters do not connect this pin to the CF card, opting to have an on board LED instead.

Some CF cards aren't powerful enough to drive the A1200's HD led if your IDE cable is too long.
Old 09 March 2009, 15:55   #491
bagheera

Hi, i've got a problem with CF2IDE and cd-rw drive.

When CF2IDE with 4GB CF card is connected alone on signal cable to A1200 ide, it works just fine, but i also want to use a cd-rw slim drive. If it's connected with CF, everything is ok, unless i run any program that want to read data from cd drive. When i launch FindDevice from idefix package, it detects drive successfully, but since then i got cheksum errors from CF all the time, i'm unable to launch some programs, or even view the drawers. When i press "Mount CD ROM" (i use AmigaSYS 3), it sometimes hangs and gives guru, sometimes, it shows few "checksum error" screens and mounts inserted cd.

What is that all about? Is that cf2ide adapter incomatibile? Has a led on this adapter any matter? Both LEDs flashes during read/write operations.

Has anyone working cf & cd on single cable connected to standard IDE controller of A1200?

Last edited by bagheera; 10 March 2009 at 13:58.

Old 10 March 2009, 02:34   #492
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Need to test it when I finally abandon the good old HDs.
Old 10 March 2009, 04:07   #493
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagheera View Post
Hi, i've got a problem with CF2IDE and cd-rw drive.
Has anyone working cf & cd on single calbe connected to standard IDE controller of A1200?
i think most everyone will advise you to use a buffered interface for this setup.
You should also use a pretty short cable.
Old 10 March 2009, 14:01   #494
bagheera

Cable is short enaugh. I still waiting (few months..) for my fast ata mk3 controller. I paid, but dude never sends it :s.

Old 10 March 2009, 22:28   #495
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagheera View Post
I paid, but dude never sends it :s.
That sounds like someone I've dealt with recently. More details on the user feedback thread if I don't get a response.
Old 18 March 2009, 10:47   #496
Chris1965

Hi All

I recently purchased this female IDE to CF

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-CF-To-2-5...742.m153.l1262

Unfortunately it is not tall enough to clear the Indivision A1200. Can someone suggest an adaptor that will do the job?
Old 18 March 2009, 11:25   #497
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I would be suprised if you find something - I think I remember reading about others who had encountered this exact same problem - I think they all bought the CF adaptors that require a ribbon cable to over come this problem - I will have a search though...
Old 18 March 2009, 18:14   #498
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
IIRC, Amigakit have those ribbon cables available: female to male in a decent length.
Old 18 April 2009, 11:59   #499
Sericeus

Amiga 1200 4GB Hard Drive Compact Flash Adapter Kit NEW

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...2BSI%26otn%3D4
Amiga 1200 8GB Hard Drive Compact Flash Adapter Kit NEW

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=180342673860

brand new Amiga 1200 compatible 8GB Compact Flash hard drive upgrade kit. Includes everything you need to give your Amiga 8GB of hard disk space, with extremely easy installation. An easy to follow PDF user manual (in English) will be emailed to you after purchasing, which you may save or print off to assist in the installation. Consists of: 44 pin female to 44 pin female IDE Hard Disk Drive cable approx 4cm long (NEW).
44 pin female to Compact Flash adapter PCB (NEW).8GB Kingston High Quality Compact Flash card (NEW). The adapter PCB has a piece of velcro on its underside, that can simply have its protective plastic removed and then be stuck directly onto the Amiga hard disk drive caddy. The included IDE cable simply plugs into the Amiga IDE interface, and then into the adapter PCB.The Compact Flash card slots into the adapter PCB, and different cards can be exchanged for different workbench installations. Compatible with ALL Amiga 1200 systems.

The supplied 8GB card will come partitioned and pre-formatted with a custom Smart File System (SFS) and with Workbench 3.1 installed.The card boots very quickly into Workbench, and is ideal for use with a program such as WHDLoad. This kit can currently fit a full WHDLoad set. It is not suitable for a lot of writing to the card, just a lot of reading or limited writing since it is a solid-state device. There are benefits of using this compared to a traditional 2.5" or 3.5" hard disk drive, these are: Solid-state device, no heat produced, no noise and little power consumed.
Very fast reading and writing of data.Easily replaceable and exchangeable with different Compact Flash cards with different Workbench installations. In Amiga terms, extremely large storage capacity. No upgraded ROMs required for any Amiga 1200. Includes everything you need! Simply stick the adapter PCB onto the hard drive caddy with the supplied velcro - no messing about with screws and holes that don't fit properly. Works on both UK/European/Australian PAL Amigas and North American NTSC Amigas.

Amiga 1200+ Hard drive desktop

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=300301345218

The Amiga 1200 Original Desktop Package
with 75+ mb hard drive fitted
Original desktop box
3.0 roms

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The a1200 with 75+ mb hard drive is my a1200. I have it and have been testing it. v 3.0, is fitted with 1.5 mb memory

I have various stuff ordered, 1084s D2 monitor, external disk drives.
I purchase the 8GB flashcard and have described it and provided a link. The 4GB flash card is not the one I bought but I thought I'd reference it as I read a lot of talk of the limit size.

My Question - I want to install the IDE flashcard, my system is v3.0 and the flashcard is v3.1 The description and instructions of the flash card say it will work on all 1200 systems.
I don't know how my system will function once I install the flashcard! Does it stop the diskdrive from working and takeover the system, what will happen to the old v3.0 & 3.0 roms. Sorry but I don't know what roms are, just that my system is 3.0 a1200?

Is it safe to just insert the device and boot up, what get happens to the old system after?
And what do I use the 8GB for, will it just read as that seems to be the function of the device. Do I install games onto it or do they go onto the hard drive, I do not understand the difference because the flashcard says it adds 8GB memory to the hard drive. The flashcard is ready formatted, does this pose a difference to saving games ect onto the harddrive, will the games I save go to the wrong place. Also I am unsure how to save games to the hardrive as I'm new back into amiga.

So you understand my set up now, what is the next step, do I just simply plug the device in and go or do I need to uninstall some other hardware to use it?

Also I'm having difficulty lifting the flap lid on the back of my a1200. What is the technique to be applied to open the flap, I see the opening hole but its mysterious.

1 last query, how many external floppy disk drives is it safe to daisy chain, I have a500 power unit ordered if the one I have isn't an a500 already. I will have 3 external floppy disk drive's ordered and want ideally 4 externals so I can run Wrath of the demon.

Last edited by Sericeus; 18 April 2009 at 12:45. Reason: Read visible curry

Old 21 April 2009, 00:41   #500
pashdown

Tweaking Max Transfer via HDToolBox? SFS vs FFS

I've got an 8GB Sandisk CF that I'd like to try some different settings on. All I read says to use "HDToolBox" to change these settings, but when I use that, "Partition Drive" doesn't have Mask and Max Transfer and "Install Drive" warns me that I will destroy all the data on my drive if I use it. So how do I do it?

Also, is SFS worth it over FFS if I have OS3.9? What advantages are there to it?